Joost Van Aken

Will not leave on loan or permanent this window, according to the player’s agent (https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-joost-van-aken-s-agent-rules-out-loan-move-for-owls-defender-1-9561179). If he can improve on his defending, then I think he could be a good player at this level, and we may need him next season if Hector leaves and we are again restricted by FFP.

7 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Will not leave on loan or permanent this window, according to the player’s agent (https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-joost-van-aken-s-agent-rules-out-loan-move-for-owls-defender-1-9561179). If he can improve on his defending, then I think he could be a good player at this level, and we may need him next season if Hector leaves and we are again restricted by FFP.

Quite a big if, and a big issue for a defender!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Maybe Bruce has been playing Fifa 19 on his holidays, apparently Van Aken is a beast.....

Or presuming we are expecting an embargo wont let low value players leave as cant replace them. Come the summer Pudil will be released, hector's situation uncertain, so would be competing with thornily for the LCB place. And makes sense for Bruce to have a look at him.

Reading between the lines, Van Aken's wage is mind bogglingly high and no-one would even come close to matching it for a none proven Championship defender. Like all of our players, no-one is going anywhere unless a club is desperate or a bit stupid, or they're out of contract. 

This is like on Football Manager when you sign a player before fully scouting him but you saw some high teens maybe an odd 20 in there and thought you know what this guy looks good and you buy him and yeah he is a bit expensive but when you get him to the club you see the hidden attributes and some of them are 4's and 5's and maybe a 7 at a push and you think okay that didn't go to plan.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mrgund said:

This is like on Football Manager when you sign a player before fully scouting him but you saw some high teens maybe an odd 20 in there and thought you know what this guy looks good and you buy him and yeah he is a bit expensive but when you get him to the club you see the hidden attributes and some of them are 4's and 5's and maybe a 7 at a push and you think okay that didn't go to plan.

Turning circle would be a 3 at best.

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

I was desperate for us to keep Venancio and get rid of this guy. However, DCs method of financial planning put paid to that. 

Agree. Van Aken might be  better midfielder which is where he started I believe. Btw Hector is as inconsistent at Hillsborough as he was at Hull

It’s like anything else sometimes it can  take a year and a half before making the transition from Dutch German Spanish or any nationality for that in football Styles You never know next season we could be calling for him as one of our best players he was brought in for a purpose they must’ve seen something in him

He's hardly played for us in these last 13 months and that's mostly been due to injury, so he's not had the best of luck.

Still, he struggled in his first 3 or 4 months playing with us, but wasn't really helped by being thrown straight in at the deep end, while Venâncio continued to be overlooked by CC.

Could coaching improve his defects? I'll not hold my breath, but I'd be happy for him to be given another crack at it.