Joost Van Aken

16 hours ago, cowl said:

He's hardly played for us in these last 13 months and that's mostly been due to injury, so he's not had the best of luck.

Still, he struggled in his first 3 or 4 months playing with us, but wasn't really helped by being thrown straight in at the deep end, while Venâncio continued to be overlooked by CC.

Could coaching improve his defects? I'll not hold my breath, but I'd be happy for him to be given another crack at it.

I'd love him to come good here, god knows we need him to. 

I just think he's a big lad yes, but seemed slow to notice what's happening in front of him and physically incredibly cumbersome. 

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

MASSIVE loss to us if you ask me personally. After only a couple of games watching him you could see he's an excellent defender and for me, this guy should have been signed and made captain. Very capable player and would have been a massive asset for us.

Instead its a right utter f*ck up by CC and DC .. shambolic.

I couldn't agree more. The fact that Venancio was left on the sidelines by CC was bizarre, especially as it was evident to everyone that Van Aken couldn't do the basics. Venancio available for 800k too. Bonkers. 

28 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I couldn't agree more. The fact that Venancio was left on the sidelines by CC was bizarre, especially as it was evident to everyone that Van Aken couldn't do the basics. Venancio available for 800k too. Bonkers. 

Even at £1.8m the bloke was a bargain .. the fact we had nothing in place and agreed was shocking

What gets me with the whole van Aken thing was we signed him to be first choice. That's fsir enough.

Yet we had a capable CB already at the club, better than both JvA and Venancio, yet we let him go because we didn't offer him the first team football he wanted. Absolutely mental decision that was.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, briggowl said:

Reading between the lines, Van Aken's wage is mind bogglingly high and no-one would even come close to matching it for a none proven Championship defender. Like all of our players, no-one is going anywhere unless a club is desperate or a bit stupid, or they're out of contract. 

You make it sound as though our team is full of League Two rejects on £60k a week! lol

8 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

What gets me with the whole van Aken thing was we signed him to be first choice. That's fsir enough.

Yet we had a capable CB already at the club, better than both JvA and Venancio, yet we let him go because we didn't offer him the first team football he wanted. Absolutely mental decision that was.

Who was that?

22 hours ago, briggowl said:

Reading between the lines, Van Aken's wage is mind bogglingly high and no-one would even come close to matching it for a none proven Championship defender. Like all of our players, no-one is going anywhere unless a club is desperate or a bit stupid, or they're out of contract. 

how many 'bit stupid' clubs are still around? not counting the obvious one.

• Haha 1

On 28/01/2019 at 13:41, briggowl said:

Another club like us you mean? Lol.  I think we should try him at defensive midfielder. That's where he started wasn't it?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Shout! How could I forget Sasso? I was racking my brain and could only think of Loovens - and it was the right time for him to leave.

Yeah Sasso was decent tbf, if he'd still been here and had these extra few years in English football I think he'd be really good by now.

Edited by LiamAP22D

6 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We really boobed there,and he was free as well,we never offered the kid a contract,he loved it here.Cheers Carlos

On 28/01/2019 at 13:41, briggowl said:

Don’t forget that a club can agree to play part of a loan players wages. Would make sense for him to go out. He gets to play regularly and put himself in the shop window. We get to save on wages and bonuses.