A new signing

To be fair Palmer looked a real prospect when he broke into the team as CM. Able to carry the ball at pace and energetic enough to get up and down the pitch. Not saying he’s in the same league as Kieran Lee but is it worth giving him a go since we seem to have binned the CC and JL policy of forcing square pegs in round holes and picking the team from a tombola?

• Haha 1

No

The thing Lee has that I have never seen from anybody anywhere is that he never stands still.

Doesn’t matter who has the ball, whether we are attacking or defending he is on the move.

More often than not he turns up in the right place, whether to make an interception or convert a chance.

Fantastic reader of a game.

Doesn’t sound like Palmer to me.

Palmer would never have Lee’s energy and running power. He regularly out ran everyone else on the pitch for several seasons and is probably suffering for it now.

Having said that I see where you’re coming from with the thread. Palmer did look a very promising young midfielder at the start of his career but never really kicked on after his loan at Tranmere. He became a right back almost by accident when Buxton became injury prone.

One thing that surprised me last season during the worst injury crisis ever known. Palmer was never given a run in midfield to see if he could play the position better than the likes of Butterfield. Was it tried in training and decided against? Perhaps only Palmer himself or Bullen know the answer.

Erm no afraid not.

although I do like Palmer. He’s a trier. Loves the club etc etc. Makes wrong decisions at times but as do many. 

Similar to Fox n Baker in a way in that doesn’t do a lot wrong just doesn’t do a lot right. 

With the right winger working with him overlapping n covering him etc he would be better. 

Matias n Reach left Palmer n Fox exposed today and didn’t give many options n movement for them either.

Big Hec passed wide to Fox loads but he had no options n had pass back. 

13 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I have thought about this for many weeks now, even months.

I know full well many will shoot me down, as is their right, however I think Palmer could be a new Kieran Lee.

Now, Kieran Lee shares my birthday, 22nd June - I did not realise that until I visited his Wiki page to find some material in which to write this forum post.   So of course, now I really love Lee, given I just found out he is almost exactly 10 years my junior.

I think it was 2014 when Lee made the switch from right back to Central Midfield - I may be wrong, but he has never looked back, has he?

I know that Palmer has not only played CM for us, but also for a full season with Tranmere - but he is now about the same age as Lee when Lee made the re-transition back to central midfield.

Palmer has the energy, that is for certain. 

Can Liam Palmer be our next Kieran Lee?   I'm going to get more down marks than up for this, I fully understand that - however I do think we have some serious graft and guile in this bloke, now not a kid.   I think it needs to happen.

Im in a minority, that is fine - but multiple managers have suggested this (then) "kid" could move up a notch to the top flight.    I say it's possible, but only if he reverts to CM.

When I watch Palmer I never feel like I’m watching a natural footballer, in fact I’m usually half expecting him to fluff his lines.  On the other hand when Kieran Lee was at his best a couple of years ago he made the game look very easy and instinctively he always seemed to get himself in the right position at the right time. 

I’d love Liam to improve to the extent that I see similarities between the two players, but I just don’t expect him to.