A new signing

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

No

The thing Lee has that I have never seen from anybody anywhere is that he is broken and has been for years. 

Why do we keep banging on about Kieran Lee? 

He was very good, but now hes very injured. 

How he hasnt retired due to injury yet amazes me

11 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Palmer imo needs replacing in defence. Don’t think shifting him to midfield would improve him. Don’t get me wrong he puts in the effort but we need more than that. 

I do remember the same being said of Lee when we bought him from Oldham and he went into the same position of right back.

Edit:   I do recall we got him on a free now.

Edited by Salmonbones

2 minutes ago, poite said:

I'm not slagging Palmer off - I think he gets a lot of unfair stick on here - but the fact is he's absolutely nowhere near the quality of kieran Lee. And never will be.

Pretty much how I was going to reply. 

It’s always interesting to think about which players could be converted to another position. I think Palmer could be a competent right sided midfielder in a traditional 4-4-2, especially with a pacey overlapping right back. 

16 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

No

The thing Lee has that I have never seen from anybody anywhere is that he never stands still.

Doesn’t matter who has the ball, whether we are attacking or defending he is on the move.

More often than not he turns up in the right place, whether to make an interception or convert a chance.

Fantastic reader of a game.

Doesn’t sound like Palmer to me.

You are quite correct.

However doesn't sound like the Kieran Lee who played as a right back to me either

6 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

Why do we keep banging on about Kieran Lee? 

He was very good, but now hes very injured. 

How he hasnt retired due to injury yet amazes me

Could it be because the op was comparing Palmer to Lee so unsurprisingly I mentioned Kieran Lee.

Or is that too hard for you to understand 

Palmer isn’t as comfortable in possession as Lee and has no composure whatsoever in front of goal. In truth he’s done well to have the career he’s had. Solid but average player for me.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Just now, oldishowl said:

Could it be because the op was comparing Palmer to Lee so unsurprisingly I mentioned Kieran Lee.

Or is that too hard for you to understand 

Indeed.   Lee played player of the year at right back for Oldham then played nothing for us in the same position.

Then we switched Lee to CM and he went from nothing to a great player - some would have compared Lee at RB to Palmer back then I am sure, but now do not see the comparison.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I have thought about this for many weeks now, even months.

I know full well many will shoot me down, as is their right, however I think Palmer could be a new Kieran Lee.

Now, Kieran Lee shares my birthday, 22nd June - I did not realise that until I visited his Wiki page to find some material in which to write this forum post.   So of course, now I really love Lee, given I just found out he is almost exactly 10 years my junior.

I think it was 2014 when Lee made the switch from right back to Central Midfield - I may be wrong, but he has never looked back, has he?

I know that Palmer has not only played CM for us, but also for a full season with Tranmere - but he is now about the same age as Lee when Lee made the re-transition back to central midfield.

Palmer has the energy, that is for certain. 

Can Liam Palmer be our next Kieran Lee?   I'm going to get more down marks than up for this, I fully understand that - however I do think we have some serious graft and guile in this bloke, now not a kid.   I think it needs to happen.

Im in a minority, that is fine - but multiple managers have suggested this (then) "kid" could move up a notch to the top flight.    I say it's possible, but only if he reverts to CM.

Totally ignoring the fact that Palmer looks totally uncomfortable in the attacking third of course. 

12 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

You are quite correct.

However doesn't sound like the Kieran Lee who played as a right back to me either

Palmer probably has the physicality to do this.

End of comparison.

He has been in scoring positions before but is hesitant. He who hesitates is lost.

48 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I think it was 2014 when Lee made the switch from right back to Central Midfield - I may be wrong, but he has never looked back, has he?

Seeing as you ask the question I'll answer for you....never looked back since 2014.....you are joking right?...he's spent the best part of the last 2 years out injured - I'd say that's pretty conclusive "looking back"!

Edited by Ian

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Seeing as you ask the question I'll answer for you....never looked back since 2014.....you are joining right?...he's spent the best part of the last 2 years out injured - I'd say that's pretty conclusive "looking back"!

Yeah, not sure if you are even speaking English here.