A new signing

Kieran Lee has a good touch and is a good distributor of ball. he has boundless energy and gets a foot in rather than full blooded tackles. He also reads games well and gets in right areas of pitch. He also has developed an eye for goal and is a neat finisher.His strength is in creating situations and slowing down opposition when trying to build.

Palmer strength are his defensive qualities his ball distribution is poor. he has pace and plenty of energy and does get into right areas of pitch. Palmer is not a goal scorer He is ok on ball but not comfortable.

Tthey are two different types of player.

11 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I have thought about this for many weeks now, even months.

I know full well many will shoot me down, as is their right, however I think Palmer could be a new Kieran Lee.

Now, Kieran Lee shares my birthday, 22nd June - I did not realise that until I visited his Wiki page to find some material in which to write this forum post.   So of course, now I really love Lee, given I just found out he is almost exactly 10 years my junior.

I think it was 2014 when Lee made the switch from right back to Central Midfield - I may be wrong, but he has never looked back, has he?

I know that Palmer has not only played CM for us, but also for a full season with Tranmere - but he is now about the same age as Lee when Lee made the re-transition back to central midfield.

Palmer has the energy, that is for certain. 

Can Liam Palmer be our next Kieran Lee?   I'm going to get more down marks than up for this, I fully understand that - however I do think we have some serious graft and guile in this bloke, now not a kid.   I think it needs to happen.

Im in a minority, that is fine - but multiple managers have suggested this (then) "kid" could move up a notch to the top flight.    I say it's possible, but only if he reverts to CM.

Kieran Lee is a product of Manchester United. He has a great touch, movement and intelligence. 

Liam Palmer is an honest, solid defender. His passing and crossing accuracy and range is not equal to Lee’s in my opinion, having watched them both for years. 

5 minutes ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Kieran Lee is a product of Manchester United. He has a great touch, movement and intelligence. 

Liam Palmer is an honest, solid defender. His passing and crossing accuracy and range is not equal to Lee’s in my opinion, having watched them both for years. 

Palmer and Lee are at different levels. Lee has vision a calm head and an eye for goal. Palmer has none of these attributes but is an honest trier. To me there is no comparison. 

Old Salmonbones has really thrown his head above the parapet here suggesting that one of the clubs most hammered and moaned about  players might do the job that our best midfielder does. 

However, as we will in all likelyhood never, ever, see Palmer in an advanced central midfield position...then all the people gunning old Salmon are actually only surmising it would be a disaster. 

Without it happening there can only ever be suppositious evidence.

It'd an unprovable argument. 

PS - I don't think Liam could do it either. But it's only opinion. I don't know

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I reckon he be ok. Nothing like Lee though (who had got better and better since becoming injured but save that for another day)

Why not give him a go there? We'll never know how well he'd play there unless we try. Of course we may have already tried in training I don't know.

Played there a few times in the past and had done ok from what I remember. But it's where he would be playing now if he was really up to it not getting by as a converted right back.

Could Van Aaken be the new Paul Warhurst ?.............moved from centre back to centre forward & it worked.............both have an "a" in their first and second names............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................well he started it comparing Palmer to Lee.............FFS !!

28 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

Could Van Aaken be the new Paul Warhurst ?.............moved from centre back to centre forward & it worked.............both have an "a" in their first and second names............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................well he started it comparing Palmer to Lee.............FFS !!

There's no "A" in Joost is there ???  Feck me, my spelling's gone to tuuuurd lol Good idea though :picnic:

As a midfielder you need to know what is happening all over the pitvh. Constantly looking behind you and at the side.

Palmer struggles at the former, sometimes he does a good job but more often than not we see him have no idea what is happening behind him and he also ball watches a lot. The reason he gets caught out a lot.

Now the constant looking can be learned even later in a career because it is purely mental and once you get into the habit then it becomes second nature.

I don't think Palmer could do a job but I do think he could do a better job than Joey, which tells us one of our problems.

6 minutes ago, Bukta said:

On the subject of swapping positions I'd like to see if Pelupessy is as bad at RB as he is in CM. He has the energy and can tackle, thoughts anyone?

Let's see what Bruce thinks of him. 

Think a few maybe surprised.