JOEY

1 hour ago, Simon78 said:

Yesterdays highlight for me not the 3 points or certain players returning but Joey Pelupessy celebrating a throw in deep in our own half with an over the top fist pump. Just oozes passion that lad.

Noticed that as well, not sure I've seen a player celebrate like that over a throw in.

1 hour ago, NYCOWL said:

Agreed. If we can’t find a way to get Bannan higher up the pitch I’d cash in.

You need a superhuman next to him if he’s played in a 2

Yes, he ends up being a bit of a luxury item. There's just not enough physicality or pace for him to work in a two man midfield. We are always in danger of getting overrun. 

People rave about Hutch (understandable), but it was a similar problem when he and Bannan paired up.

For me, I'd try a three. Have Hutch and Joey do the dirty work, break up the play and allow Bannan to cause damage in the final third. 

Hate to say it, but you don't see Wilder have Duffy playing in a two. Has Norwood and Fleck play deep, anchor the midfield and that allows Duffy to cause problems for the opposition. 

Edited by SiJ

4 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Both Joey and Fox had better games yesterday. However the truth is that if we want to achieve anything these guys are not even good squad players. 

Probably right, but a new manager might coax something extra out of them. 

There’s not many people so far that can come away from this season with much to remember our solid players like bannan and leeshave looked way under par 

I put this down to poor tactics coaching and confidence the right manager putting the right team formation and tactics together might make a super star out of him this includes all our players 

I’m looking forward to seeing how Bruce and his team works with our current crop

all our players should be given a new start by everybody and allow our coaches to get them playing now I’m referring to not booing them like fox was pre kickoff yesterday 

WAWAW

It's all about balance.

We've been way too soft in stopping the opposition and gaining the right to impose our own game in matches.

There was a thread a while back that discussed the best line up from those currently here and almost everyone agreed that BB has to play further up the pitch and Joey needed support in the middle.  Reach is not an option, he is also too soft when not in posession.

In the middle of the pitch something has to give and I would personally play Hector/Hutch/Joey, 2 from 3, with 1 of them between two centre halves and midfield going forward and making up 3 when defending alongside Lees and Thorniley.

Fox/Penney with Reach/FF on the left and Palmer/Baker with Matias/Preston maybe on the right.

Bannan or Onomah need to play in advanced midfield and then there are further options still with Boyd and Jones to maybe get another chance and Winnall to come back with obviously Joao, Fletcher and Nuhiu up front.  Hooper may come back but let's see.

There are also other youngsters waiting in the wings who could add strength, pace and energy in some weaker spots or later in games.

There is a decent team amongst what we have if players are given and take the opportunity to be involved and if Bruce can find the balance and strengthen the fragile mentality in the group.

There are also some in the group who other clubs would be more than happy to pay decent money for or take on frees to strengthen their own teams/squads.

The group has had a manager with an A team and a B team and then another who became a failed disciplinarian whose back up players and changing formations led to him losing his fight.

I think we can afford to sell anybody at the moment based on this season so far and hopefully wheel and deal to both save money and freshen everything up.

If we accept we've been underperforming then we also need to address some of the stuff that let us down during our recent heights and mental toughness/leadership has featured throughout and some of our favourites have been guilty when it's really mattered.

You cannot fault his effort, think this formation would be great for him

Westwood

Palmer.      Lees.       Hector.      Penney

Hutchinson.   Joey.

Forestieri.     Bannan.       Reach

Joao

Joey can tear about breaking things up with Hutch and Bannan will finally get bloody forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

You cannot fault his effort, think this formation would be great for him

Westwood

Palmer.      Lees.       Hector.      Penney

Hutchinson.   Joey.

Forestieri.     Bannan.       Reach

Joao

Joey can tear about breaking things up with Hutch and Bannan will finally get bloody forward.

wouldn't mind seeing that...

daft thing is we've had that many bloody changes week to week I probably already have :laugh:

(other than Westwood)

People need to take there Bannan goggles off and see what JP actually does.

When BB doesnt play Joey looks alot better player ,as if he isnt ordered to give someone else the ball everytime.

I dont think Bannan is a bad player,but playing them side by side does nothing for our midfield.

Let Joey do the grafting, which he is very good at and let Bannan try and be the creative player he can be.

Truth is, when hes playing next to Bannan, Joey is hamstrung. The midfield in general usually plays better when Bannan isn't playing.

That's not to say that Bannan is a bad player, just that we are having to sacrifice certain things to accommodate his play style.

People moan that Joey only passes to Bannan, but where else is he going to pass when we have had no wingers playing and the wing backs have been non existent in going forward or supporting an attack?

Each time Bannan drops deep, he passes to Joey and then Joey has no pass on except to go back or sideways to Bannan again. Bannan dropping so deep for the ball actually means we have no midfield to pass to over the halfway line.

in an Ideal world, Defence brings it out like they did Vs Preston, ball is played to Joey and the next pass is then to Bannan in a more advanced and dangerous position.

This wont happen though as Bannan will drop deeper than Joey and the above will just all be a rinse and repeat.

Joey may not be the best midfielder in the league, but hes better than a lot on her give him credit for. He looked so much appier Vs Preston playing in a 4141 because he had options to pass to and he didn't continually have to cover for others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I quite like JP, think he does a lot more than people give him credit for. 

He puts a lot of tackles in, when he gets the ball, okay it doesn’t always go forward, but he keeps it moving, and against Preston he seemed to drift further upfield and had two shots blocked. 

If he can step step it up an extra gear under a new boss, then I think he will quickly win the fans round, because from his passion on the pitch, it’s clear he wants to be doing well for the club.

Bannan was always better out wide, even under Carlos

Joey just became the scapegoat because he's left to do a two man job when alongside him, yet some fans still applauda when Bannan pointlessly pressures the ball all the way down to the keeper which leaves a gaping hole in midfield