JOEY

10 minutes ago, owlsdreamer said:

The fact is that some matches I can forget for vast portions of the game that he is actually on the field.

On saying that he did a lot better against Preston

That’s the nature of the “water carrier’s” role. You don’t really notice such a player until he makes a mistake. 

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

I agree, however, Bannan will offer more support than Joao and Mattias and arguably more than Reach. 

Its a bit of a trade off isn’t it? 

At the start of the season and in particular during our brief good run, Matias and Joao were playing wide and they worked incredibly hard and would be back in the fullback positions helping out and winning the ball, no idea what happened to that.

8 hours ago, casbahowl said:

It’s glaringly obvious that our main problem positions are both full backs, right back more so.

The new manager could do a lot worse (Palmer) than to give Joey a try there.

He has the physical attributes to get up and down the pitch, can cross the ball and can certainly put in a tackle.

Well worth a punt 

good shout that

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Let's see how the new manager sets up and what he gets out of him.

Same goes for a lot of the lads.

I agree with this. Clean slate for everyone and hopefully Bruce (or whoever) can get the best out of what we have.

I would add however that that past performances highlight to me he isn't up to the required standard. Doesn’t mean that can’t change. 

Over to Joey and a heck of a lot of other players to put in better performances and show they deserve to wear the shirt. 

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

That’s the nature of the “water carrier’s” role. You don’t really notice such a player until he makes a mistake. 

No you notice them if they do their job. Or I personally do anyway.

The times you don’t remember them is when they don’t touch the ball, closw the spaces, tackle or intercept. Then you think or say why is that space opening up time and time again, then you remember player x is on the pitch. 

Not specifically on about Joey here. Just that midfield role in general.   

Just to add. The only person that shouldn’t be noticed is the ref. Everyone else on the pitch you notice their job.

Edited by jonesy87shef

21 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

You cannot fault his effort, think this formation would be great for him

Westwood

Palmer.      Lees.       Hector.      Penney

Hutchinson.   Joey.

Forestieri.     Bannan.       Reach

Joao

Joey can tear about breaking things up with Hutch and Bannan will finally get bloody forward.

Thats what I would play with the players we have. 2 decent full backs turns that into a very good team at this level. 

Fletcher/joao/winnall for the striker role or joao could play one of the wide forward roles either. Bannan and onomah competing for the forward central role and Matias is a useful sub or could replace FF if he leaves in jan.

hutch and pelupessy in front of the back four would make us a lot more solid. Both are good enough on the ball to play it easy and let bannan/onomah have the ball further up the pitch where I want to see them and not coming back in between the 2 centre backs to look for the ball and leaving us totally disjointed.

8 hours ago, casbahowl said:

It’s glaringly obvious that our main problem positions are both full backs, right back more so.

The new manager could do a lot worse (Palmer) than to give Joey a try there.

He has the physical attributes to get up and down the pitch, can cross the ball and can certainly put in a tackle.

Well worth a punt 

Firstly, Palmer has been steady recently and secondly, Pelupessy will never be a fullback whilever he has a hole is his arse. 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Firstly, Palmer has been steady recently and secondly, Pelupessy will never be a fullback whilever he has a hole is his arse. 

33 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Exactly the same can be said about Palmer ...... he’s beyond atrocious 

there's one or two might be at chesterfield in the future IF they don't drastically buck their ideas up soon.

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

Interesting your comparison here S/P

Palmer -Sulky Lazy "buckshee" Player akin to a British Leyland assembly worker on a Friday afternoon shift ...

Pelupessy - what he lack's in skill  (that's with a capital L) He more than makes up with energy and team ethos and will to win ...

A real shame Jeff Goldblums "Fly Morping Machine" didn't work ..

We could have had a player between them ?..

Our new manager has a great deal of sorting out to do ...

Starting by clearing the decks of the all the players who can't and won't play for our club ....

Bannans best season was his first season here when he played left midfield and tucked inside and very rarely was tracked by the winger in doing this. Lee and Hutchinson were the central pair and hence why we was a lot less lightweight than we currently are.