JOEY

5 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

You cannot fault his effort, think this formation would be great for him

Westwood

Palmer.      Lees.       Hector.      Penney

Hutchinson.   Joey.

Forestieri.     Bannan.       Reach

Joao

Joey can tear about breaking things up with Hutch and Bannan will finally get bloody forward.

With a (much) better back 4, that’s arguably a top 6 side.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, Simon78 said:

Yesterdays highlight for me not the 3 points or certain players returning but Joey Pelupessy celebrating a throw in deep in our own half with an over the top fist pump. Just oozes passion that lad.

Sure does but so do I and I’m not a professional footballer. I want to like Joey but he’s just too crap a footballer 

12 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

He is streets ahead of Onomah.

I quite like Joey but i wouldn't go that far

11 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Both Joey and Fox had better games yesterday. However the truth is that if we want to achieve anything these guys are not even good squad players. 

They could be if you gave them the chance

It’s glaringly obvious that our main problem positions are both full backs, right back more so.

The new manager could do a lot worse (Palmer) than to give Joey a try there.

He has the physical attributes to get up and down the pitch, can cross the ball and can certainly put in a tackle.

Well worth a punt 

17 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Much more involved and composed last two weeks.  Bannan makes him look much worse than he is.

17 hours ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

Joey and Hutch holding, Bannan further up as AM is my wish.

17 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Hutch and Pelupessy in the middle and give Bannan a free role!

I have been saying the above for weeks. Bannan is our best player but he hasn’t got a tackle in him and isn’t defensive minded. This leaves Pelupessy exposed - one person can’t effectively defend against the man with the ball and the runners from midfield. I have stated that the midfield paring should be Joey and Hutch (or Hector if Jos wouldn’t play Hutch) with Bannan either left (as Carlos played him) or a free role. Hopefully, Bruce (if it is him) can find a way for Joey to be supported or better still, find a way to get Hutch back in the side and playing regularly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel The Owl said:

Bannan was always better out wide, even under Carlos

Joey just became the scapegoat because he's left to do a two man job when alongside him, yet some fans still applauda when Bannan pointlessly pressures the ball all the way down to the keeper which leaves a gaping hole in midfield

Totally agree with that. Got negged for saying it loads. Out wide he had license to roam whilst we still had a solid midfield two.

31 minutes ago, markg said:

Totally agree with that. Got negged for saying it loads. Out wide he had license to roam whilst we still had a solid midfield two.

His best football was in his first season when be was often deployed on the left. He also had a good spell in the middle with the likes of Lee, Lopez etc.

But his position in the side is a conundrum. Our most creative player in many respects and yet the way we've often used him means the midfield can be imbalanced. 

For me, you want him further up the pitch and not having to think too much about his defensive duties. 

Bannan is fine if we're winning midfield but he's a bit of a nightmare if not in the sense that he doesn't have it in him to hold his position and let others try and  win the ball back.

This was the reason way back when CC resolved the issue by putting him on the left for a period.  It's the only weakness in his game (which is excellent if we are dominating possession) and I've said it before (and had some stick) but he's like the little good player kid at school who just loses it under pressure and runs around like a maniac trying to win the game on his own and then isn't where he should be when it matters and where he does the most damage.

I know Joey is nowhere near the player BB is but him coming deep for 5 yard passes constantly helps nobody.

20 hours ago, SiJ said:

Perhaps we might see a different player if he's partnered with a Hutch?

Bannan is a top player but I still think there's issues when playing him in a two. 

Makes the midfield quite lightweight and Joey isn't good enough to hold in a two man. 

As a pair sat in front of the back four with Bannan plsyed further forward as the playmaker could work.

1 hour ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

Problem with Bannan out wide is how exposed it leaves the fullback.

I agree, however, Bannan will offer more support than Joao and Mattias and arguably more than Reach. 

Its a bit of a trade off isn’t it? 

Edited by shandypants

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I can’t state with any authority but isn’t Bruce a 4-4-2 man? 

Was told he was a 4-2-3-1  man on here the other day.

Suspect though he'll go with whichever formation suits the players at his disposal best won't he? 

Mind. I said the same about Carvalhal and Luhukay and neither did IMO.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Was told he was a 4-2-3-1  man on here the other day.

Suspect though he'll go with whichever formation suits the players at his disposal best won't he? 

Mind. I said the same about Carvalhal and Luhukay and neither did IMO.

lol

I think we could agree that Bruce plays a solid formation. I can’t remember us really overrunning any of his sides that we’ve played in recent years. I really hope that Joey won’t be as exposed in midfield as he has been thus far this season (assuming that Joey plays).