JOEY

10 hours ago, shandypants said:

Because he doesn’t possess the attributes required to be a fullback. 

So to recap ........... you don’t think Joey has the physical attributes to get up and down the pitch, he can’t cross a ball and he can’t tackle ..............

Yet you think Palmers been “steady“?

11 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

I've joked a few times that our bench should draw an imaginary line and shoot his legs with a plastic pellet gun if he ever comes back past it or maybe chain him up like a dog to the opposition's post.

You mean when he tries to become Barry Alonso? 

Always a telltale sign that things aren't going well for him, nor the team. 

He does have a nice range of passing, but he's far more effective in the middle and final third, linking things up and playing clever passes over teams defences. 

3 hours ago, casbahowl said:

So to recap ........... you don’t think Joey has the physical attributes to get up and down the pitch, he can’t cross a ball and he can’t tackle ..............

Yet you think Palmers been “steady“?

Yes, Palmer has been steady - he’s just an “easy target” now for people that ought to take time and watch his game with a neutral eye rather that start from a prejudiced position. He played some good stuff on Saturday but we still had the same old pikelets hurling abuse at him. 

With regards to Joey, on current evidence:

• He can’t really cross effectively - he’s the type of that has to think when he’s attacking but doesn't when defending.
  • Naturally, as a holding midfielder, he will be more comfortable going side to side as opposed to up and down the pitch. 
  • He can tackle and defend - although we don’t get to see this much as the poor bugger is always left exposed and overrun in midfield at the moment. 
  • We have no proof that he can constantly get back and forth the entire length of the pitch. 
  • We have no evidence that he can defend in the “action area” of our box when defending set pieces. 
  • We have no evidence that he can consistently run at pace. 
  • We have no evidence that he has aerial ability sufficient enough to defend in our last third. 
  • There are probably more things I could list if I thought more about it 

Palmer can do all of the above. This isn’t to say that Joey is a bad player. I think he’s good enough but has struggled recently due to being the only defensive midfielder in a very defensively lightweight team and, as such, is left exposed. 

Joey is a midfielder and nothing more. It’s as plain as the nose on you face. 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Yes, Palmer has been steady - he’s just an “easy target” now for people that ought to take time and watch his game with a neutral eye rather that start from a prejudiced position. He played some good stuff on Saturday but we still had the same old pikelets hurling abuse at him. 

• He can’t really cross effectively - he’s the type of that has to think when he’s attacking but doesn't when defending.
  • Naturally, as a holding midfielder, he will be more comfortable going side to side as opposed to up and down the pitch. 
  • He can tackle and defend - although we don’t get to see this much as the poor bugger is always left exposed and overrun in midfield at the moment. 
  • We have no proof that he can constantly get back and forth the entire length of the pitch. 
  • We have no evidence that he can defend in the “action area” of our box when defending set pieces. 
  • We have no evidence that he has aerial ability sufficient enough to defend in our last third. 

Palmer can do all of the above. This isn’t to say that Joey is a bad player. I think he’s good enough but has struggled recently due to being the only defensive midfielder in a very defensively lightweight team and, as such, is left exposed. 

Hahaha we’ll agree to disagree on all of the above but thanks for making me laugh out loud.

”Palmer can do all of the above” will stay with me for some time........ priceless lol

18 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Hahaha we’ll agree to disagree on all of the above but thanks for making me laugh out loud.

”Palmer can do all of the above” will stay with me for some time........ priceless lol

Poor response that mate. Obviously no counter argument because I’ve proved you wrong. Thank you 

On 23/12/2018 at 14:03, NorfolkNChance said:

He did ok. Took a bit more responsibility given that he didn’t have Bannan to pass to

This is the promble with Bannan. Carlos built the whole team with this mentality to look for Bannan first chance they get every time they get the ball. Its become so second nature to the players now its been a difficult habbit to shrug off, and puts us under pressure and keeps Bannan picking up the ball in the wrong areas. We play better without him atm, and thats not Bannan's fault. We either need to rectify this or move Bannan on.

20 hours ago, SettleForADraw said:

Just like Fox i'm afraid, easy scapegoat. Both have been up there with our most consistent performers since the united game IMO. Thought they were both brilliant Saturday. The balls Fox was putting in the box especially in the second half were crying out for Rhodes

Crying out for Rhodes to spoon it over the bar 

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

These are just your subjective opinions though . other people may argue  he can do all of the above and regarding current evidence ?? what does that mean ??

All I would say is that its much easier to play full back / Wingback than it is to play central midfield . 

For instance you have only one side to worry about ,

The Irony is Palmer was a central midfielder before being moved to fullback .

3 hours ago, hugeowl said:

These are just your subjective opinions though . other people may argue  he can do all of the above and regarding current evidence ?? what does that mean ??

All I would say is that its much easier to play full back / Wingback than it is to play central midfield . 

For instance you have only one side to worry about ,

The Irony is Palmer was a central midfielder before being moved to fullback .

But where is the evidence that Joey can play fullback? If you or Casbah have it then state it. 

I support Joey in his midfield role; it’s his best position but he needs to be partnered by more defensive minded midfielders (such as Hutch) if we continue with our current formation, system and tactics. If we want to play a single defensive midfielder then we need to change the team in some way; not Pelupessy. I think Pelupessy can be a real asset if we don’t “hang him out to dry” every game. 

I also support Palmer as our first choice right fullback.  There are better fullbacks across the Football League but, currently, he is the best fullback in the club.  Shuffling Pelupessy into Palmer’s fullback position seem like lunacy; particularly so when you consider that Joey is untried there. 

3 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

We never played to Rhodes' strengths. Expecting him to chase balls down the wing rather than getting balls in the box. Not rocket science is it.

You should ask Rocket Owl that ques...………………………  Oh. Hang on a mo ffs lol