Maintaining a top six position

Well done Jos and his squad for reaching a spot in the top six in difficult circumstances.

It’s a remarkable feat and against all expectations especially considering it’s been achieved whilst playing most of the top teams.

In recent seasons though we’ve done well against the better teams but lost to the Burton, Bolton Milwall bunch of scrappers at the bottom end of the table.

This I feel has been our Achilles heel and will be key to maintaining or improving our current position. In short we must learn how to deal with the desperate do or die type of teams fighting for survival. We have a few of those coming up after our run of ‘difficult’ games.

Hopefully Jos is not allowing any complacency to creep in. 

• Like 1

Keyword is complacency 

i was at Bristol City away maybe 2 or 3 seasons ago. Sure they were practically bottom but beat us 4-1 !!! 

I’m sure CC said they turned up thinking they’d already won, fielded a weaker side & was made to pay the price :mad:

Looks like i need to keep repeating this stat. Since the Brentford game we are 3rd in the table (same points as 2nd but lose out on GD). We are 1 point off top spot. At the moment (i.e the last 9 games) we are in top 2/3 form. And we are improving. The sky's the limit this season under Jos...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_id=2018&min=4&max=13

Edited by Almat
  • Like 1

It wasn’t long ago that the general  consensus of opinion on this forum was that the Owls hadn’t got a snowball’s chance in hell of achieving a top six position, let alone maintaining one. Jos has got the club to this position whilst attempting to discover what his best team is, he gives opportunities to youth, and to players that Carlos appeared to have totally discounted, he’s like a breath of fresh air as far as I’m concerned. The only prediction that I will make is that the Owls will finish higher than the blunts and Forest, many a slip between cup and lip wil be made before this season concludes. 

1 hour ago, Almat said:

Looks like i need to keep repeating this stat. Since the Brentford game we are 3rd in the table (same points as 2nd but lose out on GD). We are 1 point off top spot. At the moment (i.e the last 9 games) we are in top 2/3 form. And we are improving. The sky's the limit this season under Jos...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_id=2018&min=4&max=13

Your wasting your time mate.  No amount of facts and figures will change a closed mind.  The 'experts' have decided we are at best a mid-table side. 

• Haha 1

At the end of last season, after some awful results and when relegation was a distinct possibility Jos managed to turn our fortunes around. Over the last ten games we became the 3rd best performing team in the division and top scorers over those 10 games.

I honestly believed that this season promotion was a possibility. I know that was not a popular view here on Owls talk.

But let express my view of this season, there are no teams we should fear in this division.The Blades are nothing special, the relegated clubs are not running away with the league, Jos is building a new team, he has given youth its chance made two excellent loan signings .

I see many parallels between this season and 1979/80 .

Have faith, stop moaning and lets

see where Jos will take us..

UTO

It's a cliche, but ignore the table and focus on the next game.

Considering the stage of transition and number of inexperienced players, we are over achieving at the moment. We will be inconsistent at times but need patience, reduce expectation and just let them go and play football.

• Haha 1

Is the league worse than i give it credit for

or are we better than i think??

Not missed a game this season and i can't think of one where we have played well for more than 30 minutes

Is that the key? Keep in games and you always have a chance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatter said:

In recent seasons though we’ve done well against the better teams but lost to the Burton, Bolton Milwall bunch of scrappers at the bottom end of the table.

That's very true, and I think it may have cost us automatic promotion in 2016 / 17.

I think we showed that type of team far too much respect. Almost as if we set out to nullify them and try and nick the old goal, when we might have done better to have played on the front foot.

2 minutes ago, torres said:

Is the league worse than i give it credit for

or are we better than i think??

Not missed a game this season and i can't think of one where we have played well for more than 30 minutes

Is that the key? Keep in games and you always have a chance?

For us it has to be the key as defencive side is weakest part of team when you have forwards like reach, João, Fletcher, hooper, winnall Forresteri etc will always have good chance of getting goals, perfect example was WBA game (until shambles in last 5 mins) kept in game matched them up till chance came and  could (should) have been 3 up against best offensive side in league.

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Well done Jos and his squad for reaching a spot in the top six in difficult circumstances.

It’s a remarkable feat and against all expectations especially considering it’s been achieved whilst playing most of the top teams.

This I feel has been our Achilles heel and will be key to maintaining or improving our current position. In short we must learn how to deal with the desperate do or die type of teams fighting for survival. We have a few of those coming up after our run of ‘difficult’ games.

Hopefully Jos is not allowing any complacency to creep in. 

Didn't we get to the play off final without beating any of the top 6 until the play offs semi final match.

Its does matter who you beat, just get to 80 points and we will be in the top 6. 

The area that worries me is the teams fighting at the wrong end who seem to bully us in games. If we can pick the points up against these teams with the more physical presents we will be fine.

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Jos. 

I think though that the Owlstalk pendulum tends to swing so wildly backwards and forwards that we are in danger of putting Jos and others on a pedestal only to later knock them off. 

It is possible to fully support and encourage Jos and the players (and at times critique them) while still taking each game at a time and enjoying it as it comes.