Maintaining a top six position

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Well done Jos and his squad for reaching a spot in the top six in difficult circumstances.

It’s a remarkable feat and against all expectations especially considering it’s been achieved whilst playing most of the top teams.

In recent seasons though we’ve done well against the better teams but lost to the Burton, Bolton Milwall bunch of scrappers at the bottom end of the table.

This I feel has been our Achilles heel and will be key to maintaining or improving our current position. In short we must learn how to deal with the desperate do or die type of teams fighting for survival. We have a few of those coming up after our run of ‘difficult’ games.

Hopefully Jos is not allowing any complacency to creep in. 

No easy games in the Championship

I think Jos is doing a fantastic job

If only the snowflakes among our fanbase would let up a bit, and drop the constant whining about Westwood, Dawson etc etc

We are really looking in good shape, and all this without major investment

Obviously, one defeat and all the doom and gloomers will be out in force, you can just sense them all waiting behind their keyboards getting being really disappointed after every win

There's no real pressure on Jos from all the level headed supporters amongst us, we understand his team selections and tactics will be a surprise from time to time, and we won't go all 'Championship Manager' on him

I've been saying it for a while now, this is the best manager we've had in the last 20 years

Let the Blunts celebrate their winning the league in October

Jos will quietly get on with the job, and while I still think we're a bit short of a promotion team, who knows, Jos could still surprise me

And if we don't do it this season, I can see us being a real force next season.

UTO FTB

• Thanks 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

3 hours ago, torres said:

Is the league worse than i give it credit for

or are we better than i think??

Not missed a game this season and i can't think of one where we have played well for more than 30 minutes

Is that the key? Keep in games and you always have a chance?

The second half against Villa I thought we looked the business. 

I actually think we will compete really well against teams in bottom half of league. I was fairly confident we would do reasonably well as I suspected Jos would get results against weaker teams and if we were consistent it would mean we would not be far off play offs. The form against better teams suggests we could do better than reasonably well. My only concern is we are particularly thin in germs of resources in certain areas of team and injury to a few individuals could cause us some problems. I have discounted long term injured coming back to team if they do and regain form it would strengthen our hand considerably.

team is definitely heading in right direction and regardless of outcome this season a team is being built with the longer term in view and will improve with time as key members are not in danger of going over hill in next couple of years and others will improve significantly.

We are doing really well, we finally have a manager with a brain and look like there is a plan in place for the future. 

I still don’t think we will finish in the play offs , but for me 10th would be a great achievement. Trouble is after a few wins , if as I expect we fall short, there will be plenty sharpening the knives for jos and the players ( well Dawson , joey , Palmer and nuihu )

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, james o connor said:

We are doing really well, we finally have a manager with a brain and look like there is a plan in place for the future. 

I still don’t think we will finish in the play offs , but for me 10th would be a great achievement. Trouble is after a few wins , if as I expect we fall short, there will be plenty sharpening the knives for jos and the players ( well Dawson , joey , Palmer and nuihu )

If you look at our defence, it has gone from looking simply awful to looking meh.

Our midfield has gone from wafer-thin and poor to fairly decent.

Our front-line started surprisingly badly and has improved nicely.

Overall the team started abysmally and has become one capable of taking 18 points from nine games. 

I have no idea if we will continue to improve, but even maintaining our current level would be great, and successful.

39 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If you look at our defence, it has gone from looking simply awful to looking meh.

Our midfield has gone from wafer-thin and poor to fairly decent.

Our front-line started surprisingly badly and has improved nicely.

Overall the team started abysmally and has become one capable of taking 18 points from nine games. 

I have no idea if we will continue to improve, but even maintaining our current level would be great, and successful.

Maintaining our form over the last 9 games until the end of the season gets us to 86 points by my calculations. Probably wrong, maths not my strongest subject :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Almat said:

Maintaining our form over the last 9 games until the end of the season gets us to 86 points by my calculations. Probably wrong, maths not my strongest subject :duntmatter:

Its 87.

But 86, 87....pinch me.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:34, torres said:

Is the league worse than i give it credit for

or are we better than i think??

Not missed a game this season and i can't think of one where we have played well for more than 30 minutes

Is that the key? Keep in games and you always have a chance?

You don't need to play well for all the 90 minutes.

So far it’s been a fairly odd season in that there hasn’t been a really stand out team that you are certain will go up. WBA have the fire power but as we saw, they don’t dominate.

Leeds dominate possession but don’t have a parachute cash funded squad, so injuries and the general tendency for some of their players to hibernate may cost them. 

Brentford would be my pick of the bunch. Play great stuff and have a lot of goal threat. But now Dean Smith has gone. 

Blades- their position doesn’t make sense on paper, driven by a good manager and team ethic to get them punching. It’s whethet that can last this time. 

Villa/Stoke - like WBA they should be up there looking at them. But they just seem to have issues surrounding them.

Forest - could be another wolves but it hasn’t clicked into gear in the same way yet.

From what we have seen so far we aren’t too far away from any of them and on a par with some others. But better decision making at the back will no doubt be key to us later in the season.