The Star - Were after a CB

Such is our desperation, that a lot of us would see free agent James Collins as a good option. Given our shambolic defending so far, he probably would be My point is, prior to the season starting, the suggestion of Collins was met with derision

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Such is our desperation, that a lot of us would see free agent James Collins as a good option. Given our shambolic defending so far, he probably would be My point is, prior to the season starting, the suggestion of Collins was met with derision

Prior to the season started I think many still thought that Venancio might be be coming in on a permanent basis.

With that in mind letting one 34 year old go - in Loovens and bringing in another 34 year old - Collins. (Who would after 15 years in the Premier League probably command a higher wage than Glenn) would have seemed, reasonably to be a barmy idea at that stage.  That it now looks a reasonable idea says it all.

Of course.  With the position we're in at the moment I think we're going to see more and more and ever more incredibly  barmy ideas put forward by an ever more desperate fan base.

I await the first calls for Keegan ...

If we are only allowed to bring in 2 players, surely it has to be an experienced centre half who is a leader and a right back. James Collins and Dominic Iorfa.

Collins who is a leader to partner Lees. Give Collins the captaincy. Iorfa to play right back. Both got good height. Play a back 4 and then I’d go 4–3-3. Play this system week in and week out. If we are playing a strong team, play Reach in an attacking 3 therefore more defensive.

If we can keep Westwood due to FFP,  play him and send Wildsmith out on loan. Play Hutch defensive midfield and drop Joey.

If I was the Manager, these are the players I’d try and bring in and this is what I would do. 

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Right back/wing back

Centre half

Upgrade on Joey

Right winger (if we want the option of 442.

Be lucky if we see two of those four though I reckon.

Sounds about right. Maybe a LB too

All of IMMENSE power & pace 

1 hour ago, boxing_day said:

James Collins available for free. We need a leader at cb. He’s done pre season with West Ham, so fit and ready.

Im not one for signing older players over and over but we need someone to organise on the pitch. He’s a fighter and would make a difference off the pitch as well.

Dont know about wages but I’d be straight on the phone to him for a deal until the end of the season.

Similarly, offer a contract to experienced German RB Dennis Diekmeier, clear upgrade on Palmer but again old.

Wages on both would be the major issues though of course.

My first though was Danny Batth, which has already been mentioned.  Don't like going back in for ex-players, but he's proven himself at this level, has already been told his appearances will be restricted in the Premier league and is in the last year of his Wolves contract.

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Needs to be an experienced one, in my opinion. A prem kiddie isn't ideal for that position. What experienced CBs are available and affordable at this stage though..?

Lets hope Jos has his contacts in Germany looking for one...

5 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Loovens used to get dogs abuse on here, to be fair his legs had gone in the end but I always thought that Lees played better when Glenn was in the team, get another old head in the middle and we may get the Lees that we know back.

There is a world of difference in quality between Loovens and Lees.  lees is a pretty limited centre half who has never played top flight football and never will. Loovens has played for the Dutch international team , played champions league football and defended against ronaldo, messi et al. I agree he was carrying a knock or had run out of gas last  season and needed to be released, but was streets ahead of any of our defenders in the previous 3 seasons.

we won’t find another like Loovens very easily, fantastic signing by Jones at the time. 

4 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Might have missed this on here, but according to The Star were in the market for a centre back. Hope that’s not the only position we’re after. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-in-market-for-defender-signing-1-9309338

Tell ya what these journos at the Stir are streets ahead of many. I'm glad they have put it out there, go on, be honest nobody on here would have thunk it would they.

They are the positions I see us strengthening in the summer. And although Jos is keen to bring down the age of the squad, is it essential we bring in some leaders as well having lost our only natural leader, Loovens, in the summer. That's why I'd make James Collins a top target. He's a leader, was adored at West Ham and they were disappointed when he was released. He'll be in demand, but if we're to make one signing on the expensive side, I'd love it to be him. 

I posted that on the 4th June.

Nothing has changed. 

It was an area that desperately needed addressing at the time...and of course, we weren't given the opportunity to do so. 

James Collins is a born leader. He was respected by everybody at West Ham, and has been a regular in the Premier League for numerous seasons. 

He's still available. I've no idea what his demands are, but if they fit within our new structure, we have to bring him in, give him the captains armband and allow him to lead this side. 

Now isn't the time to be bringing in another young lad with potential...we've plenty of our own...we need a leader, we need some know-how.

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I posted that on the 4th June.

Nothing has changed. 

It was an area that desperately needed addressing at the time...and of course, we weren't given the opportunity to do so. 

James Collins is a born leader. He was respected by everybody at West Ham, and has been a regular in the Premier League for numerous seasons. 

He's still available. I've no idea what his demands are, but if they fit within our new structure, we have to bring him in, give him the captains armband and allow him to lead this side. 

Now isn't the time to be bringing in another young lad with potential...we've plenty of our own...we need a leader, we need some know-how.

Ive said on another thread that Id like us to bring him in, if possible. It’s a short term fix, but we are where we are. We are desperate for a no nonesense centre half who is a leader to play with Lees. Take the armband off Lees and give it him. Play a conventional back 4 and while we are it, if possible, bring in a right back, Iorfa?

Pick a system and stick with it so the players understand. You get back to basics when you are struggling.

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Centre back (a permanent one) has been a must for nearly 3 years.

Our reluctance to sign up Sasso and latterly (for whatever reason Venancio) showed incredible short term thinking.

Luckily we have some decent youth players coming through in that area.

However the environment must be right in which they learn their trade.

Another couple of defeats and I fear it won't be a forgiving place to be getting your stripes.

I agree.but as much as having these two NOW would improve matters they were not the TYPE of centre halves we needed.

We need a tall dominant no-nonsense, good in the air captain type.................and have needed one for TWO AND A HALF YEARS NOW !

• Thanks 2