The Star - Were after a CB

Centre back (a permanent one) has been a must for nearly 3 years.

Our reluctance to sign up Sasso and latterly (for whatever reason Venancio) showed incredible short term thinking.

Luckily we have some decent youth players coming through in that area.

However the environment must be right in which they learn their trade.

Another couple of defeats and I fear it won't be a forgiving place to be getting your stripes.

• Like 1

Centre back (a permanent one) has been a must for nearly 3 years.

Our reluctance to sign up Sasso and latterly (for whatever reason Venancio) showed incredible short term thinking.

Another couple of defeats and I fear it won't be a forgiving place to be getting your stripes.

51 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Needs to be an experienced one, in my opinion. A prem kiddie isn't ideal for that position. What experienced CBs are available and affordable at this stage though..?

This ^^^ though hopefully all the other areas will be upgraded with young quick players

Absolutely the right call.

our goal scoring so far is ok. Our defending has been shocking and 2 a game being shipped tells its own story.

The club must get this one right. Lees is a ship at sea without a sail without a proper defensive partner, he does not have the class and quality to lead a defence.

i do not want to see any reference to a ‘ ball playing centre half’ as many craved under the Loovens and lees days. Centre halfs are not ball players and don’t need to be.  They are blockers and stoppers, able to clear balls into the box from dead and open play and be able to push up and sit back at the right time.

we made an absolute foul up with van aken as it seems no one had looked at his basic defensive footwork before we signed him, seduced instead by raking passes and kaiser like runs, neglecting to notice that on said highlights reel  no opponents were anywhere near him.

Guest The Horse
4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Spot on.

Youth is essential but not at the moment when we need wins and fast.

Not when we are looking like cannon fodder and sinking fast.

Experienced Championship players are needed at the moment.

Bring the youth on when we're looking safe / er.

And get Westwood back in.

Youth policy is admirable and they have the potential to sell for huge amounts but not at the expense of staying in The Championship.

The club is mental at the moment.

Experienced heads who know this league are required at all levels to just steady this ship right now:

- Boardroom

- Manager

- Players

If not, we're gonna go down faster than a hooker at happy hour.

James Collins available for free. We need a leader at cb. He’s done pre season with West Ham, so fit and ready.

Im not one for signing older players over and over but we need someone to organise on the pitch. He’s a fighter and would make a difference off the pitch as well.

Dont know about wages but I’d be straight on the phone to him for a deal until the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, boxing_day said:

James Collins available for free. We need a leader at cb. He’s done pre season with West Ham, so fit and ready.

Im not one for signing older players over and over but we need someone to organise on the pitch. He’s a fighter and would make a difference off the pitch as well.

Dont know about wages but I’d be straight on the phone to him for a deal until the end of the season.

He would be my choice as well, he's exactly the sort of player we need at the minute.

7 minutes ago, boxing_day said:

In October 2011, Collins was arrested along with former Aston Villa teammate Barry Bannan after a Range Rover hit the central reservation of the M1 motorway in Nottinghamshire. The following month, Nottinghamshire Police confirmed that he would not face any charges, although Bannan was charged with four offences.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, boxing_day said:

Thats a good shout to be honest. We don’t need an up and coming centre half with pace. We need a leader of men who’s a no nonesense type. I’d be up for this signing and it would allow us to go with a back 4 - Lees and Collins at the back!

22 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

In October 2011, Collins was arrested along with former Aston Villa teammate Barry Bannan after a Range Rover hit the central reservation of the M1 motorway in Nottinghamshire. The following month, Nottinghamshire Police confirmed that he would not face any charges, although Bannan was charged with four offences.

I don't know anything about this James Collins, but according to press reports, he was released without charge, and Bannan faced 4 charges.. 

The year was 2011. At the time, these lads would be in their early 20's. Bannan is now approaching 29, so should we be saying we don't want 'troublemakers'. If so , the logic behind that says don't sign Collins, but sell Bannan.. This looks to me like a spot of 'high antics' as youths, something many of us have been guilty of, and often acts  as a wake-up call. Let's not write him off for youthful spirits. There are players playing today with MUCH worse records . Judge him on what he is now. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Of course we now find ourselves in the bizarre position of now desperatly needing some experienced players.

Who as a rule have little resale value and often command higher wages and which has to a large part got us where we are to start with.

Agree whole heartedly with you , Snoots. However, this is where the influence of a good Manager, ECO or Chief Scout should start to show. There are players out there that could do the job for wages and contracts that are not over excessive, and who could be enticed into the Wed. fld, whowould give us three to four years minimum service.

Just now, Buxtongent said:

Agree whole heartedly with you , Snoots. However, this is where the influence of a good Manager, ECO or Chief Scout should start to show. There are players out there that could do the job for wages and contracts that are not over excessive, and who could be enticed into the Wed. fld, whowould give us three to four years minimum service.

I'd hope so.  Then again, I had hoped that before.

I've half a mind that agents adda zero when they talk to us.

And then the fans add another after they've not played well!!:laugh: