Jack Hunt from #SWFC to Bristol City

Not a huge loss, good pace and energy for a full back but crossing and defending leave a lot to be desired. Feel like the price is low for this crazy market would have expected closer to 2.5, 3 mil. First choice full backs both sides have to be the priority for Jos, they are key positions in his favoured system and we have no quality at all in them right now. 

2 hours ago, camffiti said:

Back to having our pants down in the transfer market? 

We must have a Bosman lined up somewhere, because £1.5mil buys nothing nowadays 

Isn't Ash Baker more of a centre back, than a wing back?

Not really.

Average player in last year of his contract.

31 minutes ago, Kraschenbern said:

I'm pretty happy with this to be fair.  I know this won't be popular but I'd rather have Palmer in the team.  Hunt couldn't defend, and couldn't cross, so effectively was a useless wing back.  At least Plamer can defend a bit.  And lets not forget Plamer was outstanding a couple of seasons ago.  Way better than Hunt has ever been.  Not a huge fee, but decent for a pretty average second tier full back.  We'll find better for a lot less money in Holland or Germany.  

I wouldn't say Palmer was better a few seasons ago than Hunt has ever been. 

Its quite obvious to us to me that Hunt is the better right back, hence why we're selling him to Bristol for £1.6m and they're not buying Palmer for cheaper, on a fraction of the wages 

Hunt isn't one of the players I'd particularly like to see leave but if selling 3 or 4 players at Hunt's level means we keep all of Bannan, FF & Hooper then I'm all for it.

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Are you always this cheerful ?

As a right back, Baker won't be dross. As a right back, Hunt is dross. We've got money for old rope. 

Its a time to be positive.

Are you always this illiterate?

I didn't say he would be dross,

He is though unproven and whatever you think about Hunt,you cannot 100% guarantee Baker will be better.

If he is then Palmer should go.

Or is Palmer better than Hunt?

FFS.

Unlike most i don't rate Hunt suspect defender, still remember Brooks skinning him more than once in first derby game. Got found out of position too often, gave away silly free kick in dangerous areas and but for one great cross added nothing going forward. His injury record was also poor. Too many leg strains which suggest either an under lying problem or he didn't wath up correct before matches.

Palmer is defensively better but if we are to play a 3-5-2 unlike England the back 3 with be centre backs so do we really need a full back, we need competent wing backs on both sides.

let's hope Fox, abdi, matias, fletcher, rhodes, Jones are soon to following with 2 or 3 coming in.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Huge mistake letting Hunt leave.  We have 3 right backs and he is far better than Palmer and Baker, plus less than 2 million is rubbish.  Very poor Jos!!

Guest Willow Owl
11 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Huge mistake letting Hunt leave.  We have 3 right backs and he is far better than Palmer and Baker, plus less than 2 million is rubbish.  Very poor Jos!!

He we go, wondered how long before jos got the blame. £1.75 million for an average defender in his last year and probably on 20k per week, Great business in my eyes. Lets wait and see what happens before reaching for the razor blades. 

How can you write off a young lad who has only played one game for the first team. Jos obviously sees something in him or wouldn't have given the chance. Personally i would trust Jos, who has been working with him rather than an opinion based on no factual evidence. 

Most likely our best right back but if it means cutting our wage bill, being able to sign a few players/prem loans and keep our better players then needs must for me!

Fee isn’t too bad for someone with 12 months left and we’ve had our fingers burnt recently with the Bosman ruling! 

I expect theyll be a few others going in the last 12 months of their contracts for knockdown prices to get them off the wage bill! 

Must admit I liked Hunt,but hes had his injury troubles.

Lee could quite easily move into that position,opportunity could knock for one or two of the younger lads this term you feel Jos isnt afraid to give the kids a run,which is a refreshing change.

Id have hoped for around the 2M mark,but all things considered,not the worst of deals.

• Like 1

Suggest you get your eyes sorted.

I never said you said Baker would be dross.

The fact that everything in your world end is the same monotonous three letters speaks volumes.

Try and chill out a bit and look forward. The dark days of Carvalhal and his chosen ones  are over. 

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

This to me outlines our financial situation - we're gonna have to get a lot leaner and meaner and do it fast in order to pass muster with FFP. Unfortunately, much as we all dream of sweeping bloated wages like Fletcher and Abdi away and being done with it, this is going to mean some hard choices - like this one. It's actually a pretty momentous moment in "The Chansiri era": it's the first time we've made a significant player sale (Rhoys Wiggins hardly counts) under his leadership, and a first teamer at that. The easy days of loading up on players with big wages and then just sitting on them, even when many were clear duds, are well and truly over and that's not entirely a bad thing.

We've clearly decided that we can't go on waiting for Rhodes' move to get sorted, as we need to bring in players right now and are currently lacking the money to do so. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rhodes doesn't get a move until around deadline day, as teams will be looking to play hardball (and if our loan fee demands are as reported, we've got a long way to climb down before a deal can be done), just as we did with Boro last January.

Unfortunately this is a fairly grim start to the slimming process. While he's a player with limitations, Hunt was our best right back by a distance and was coming into his prime as a player, whereas we've now got a gaping hole in that position. If we're happy with Liam Palmer to start the season there then our sights are clearly set very low, or if Jos wants Ash Baker to make the step up then it's a massive gamble that heaps pressure on the young lad. We've surely got to sign a replacement - which means spending a fair chunk of the money we've just brought in from the sale. A loan deal for Iorfa or preferably Byram would definitely be the best case scenario, as both are solid players available on cheaper loans.

If a replacement comes in quickly, then it may well turn out to be an efficient bit of business. If not, then I'll be steeling myself for more exits, and not necessarily the ones I was hoping for.