Jack Hunt from #SWFC to Bristol City

22 minutes ago, Ryan1980 said:

Moses odubajo anyone free agent and still only 24 years old

That would be a gamble I doubt we can afford to take, given his injury record. It's a shame as he was a hell of a player before he knackered his knee. The press up here north of the border reported that he flew out to Celtic's training camp in Austria and seemed convinced he was going to sign for them, but they've suddenly come out this morning and said they won't be signing him. 

Good luck Jack Hunt

Think he would have been much better this season than in previous... at the back end of last season he seemed to be living up to the promise that bubbled around him when he first signed. Think 3CB's helped him with that. I know today's transfer market is super inflated, but considering how frequently he seems to pick up knocks, the fact he's in the last year of his contract and a tendency to be a little inconsistent at times means... £1.6m isn't too bad a fee to receive. 

I wonder how this fits into Jos’ tactical plans for next season - Hunt was probably our player most capable of playing as a wing back, albeit he still wasn’t quite a natural fit - does this mean Jos is moving away from 5 at the back or does he want to sign players with more experience in the role?

Obviously DC & Jos will have sat down & discussed the squad.

DC will have said we need to trim the squad & reduce the wage bill so:

A) Which players don't you want.

B) Which players are ok but we can let go if it doesn't weaken the squad or we can bring in better affordable replacements or we already have capable replacements in the academy.

C) Which players must we keep. (With the proviso that every player has his price)

Its common knowledge that Jos wants to drastically reduce the average age of the squad & is keen to utilise U23's if they are up to the mark.

I wouldn't have thought that Hunt would be on Jos's "A" list but would most likely be on his "B" list particularly as his contract is up in 12 months & he'll be about 29 years old. Does it weaken the squad by letting him go? In my opinion yes, there's not a lot in it but for me Palmer isn't as good & 1 good performance from an academy lad in a meaningless end of season match isn't enough to judge whether he's an adequate replacement.

So for me, while it might fit in with Jos's plans for the squad I can't see Hunt being sold without an incoming replacement on the horizon.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

He we go, wondered how long before jos got the blame. £1.75 million for an average defender in his last year and probably on 20k per week, Great business in my eyes. Lets wait and see what happens before reaching for the razor blades. 

How can you write off a young lad who has only played one game for the first team. Jos obviously sees something in him or wouldn't have given the chance. Personally i would trust Jos, who has been working with him rather than an opinion based on no factual evidence. 

So you won’t be worried by going into the season with Baker and Palmer??  Now that is ridiculous!  I’m fine with giving Baker a chance as back up and I did not write him off like you incorrectly suggested.  However, as a pair, they simply aren’t good enough.

Just now, Kagoshimaowl said:

So you won’t be worried by going into the season with Baker and Palmer??  Now that is ridiculous!  I’m fine with giving Baker a chance as back up and I did not write him off like you incorrectly suggested.  However, as a pair, they simply aren’t good enough.

Palmer  not good enough, Baker untested!

If all we were interested in was being a mid table aide then give Baker a run in side however I'm hoping we have higher ambitions than that!

Where does it say that we are selling Hunt and going into the season with Palmer and Baker as our wing backs? I must have missed that bit.

Hunt signed from Palace and was on a cracking salary. You would imagine at least 15-20k a week. That's nearly a million wages over the year. He's in the last year of his contract and it's not uncommon for a player to enter their last year and not sign another. It happens to every single team (Emre Can Liverpool).

The Bristol Post are also suggesting 1.75 million as the fee. That feels about right given his remaining contract.

I've always found Hunt hardworking and honest but just steady. There's nothing amazing about his game but nothing really wrong with it. He's always a good 6/7 out of 10. I'm hopeful this is wheeling and dealing to allow us to bring in a fullback & Venancio. If we can do that then that's fantastic.

Our strategy seems to mirror that of Derby County's who have also yet to sign anyone and have shipped out some high earners to make room for fresh signings.

In an ideal world, there would be other players you sell before Hunt but you can only move on those with interest. All up on the surface it seems like a pretty solid deal for us.

Good player and nowhere near as limited as some on here would have you believe. 

I would agree with the decision to let him go for that amount, I think his injury record is questionable (specifically looking at the amount of games he finishes) his contract is expiring and I wouldn’t judge it as a critical loss to the team.

What worries me though is whether or not we plan to bring in a replacement. Either Jos really just like Baker or we’re hoping for lower mid-table again, because Palmer is out of his depth at anything above that.

Judging by the outcry over selling Hunt you would have thought we had someone to rival Philipp Lahm when he was in his prime. Hunt was average at best who wasn't the best defensively and ineffective in contributing to our attack with just 8 assists and no goals. We have said for ages this was an area we needed to improve.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Good player and nowhere near as limited as some on here would have you believe. 

I would agree with the decision to let him go for that amount, I think his injury record is questionable (specifically looking at the amount of games he finishes) his contract is expiring and I wouldn’t judge it as a critical loss to the team.

What worries me though is whether or not we plan to bring in a replacement. Either Jos really just like Baker or we’re hoping for lower mid-table again, because Palmer is out of his depth at anything above that.

He wasn't a good defender, his attacking was better than his defensive skills