Have we forgotten Gary hooper???

Probably the most interesting conundrum out of the remaining injured players for Jos.

1 Can he get fit enough and then stay fit

2 Where does he fit in the current system when we play 3 up front.?

3 Will Jos only use him if we play 2 up front in a 352

Cracking player...

Issue of whether you can build around him though. Always out for lengthy spells. 

Perhaps our more regimented fitness regime will put a stop to that? 

No denying his quality when he's fit. Not sure he's a Jos type player. 

Just now, SiJ said:

Cracking player...

Issue of whether you can build around him though. Always out for lengthy spells. 

Perhaps our more regimented fitness regime will put a stop to that? 

No denying his quality when he's fit. Not sure he's a Jos type player. 

This is the concern.

I'd like us to give it next season to see though - but even then, there's an issue with regards to the fact that he's out of contract at the end of next season anyway.

Earlier this season, only Bannan and Hooper were performing at anything like the level required, and Hooper's link play was fantastic at times. It was a side of his game that started to emerge in his second season with us, and it often felt like our strongest weapon.

I also wonder whether he could fit into Jos's way of playing, but I hope we'll find out.

Don't think anyone has forgotten about him.

Too many unknowns to say whether he'll be with us next year.

Is he ever going to play more than 25 games a season for us? 

Will competition for places next year mean he isn't over used or played when not fully fit? 

Can we afford to keep him with FFP looming?

Could we get a decent fee for him and reinvest while he's still highly regarded? 

When would his value drop?

I have no idea if he'll be here next year and wouldn't be surprised either way.

Class player though.

Gary Hooper is a top quality player for this league. Love watching him and Lee link play.

We need to get the lad fit and hopefully our new fitness and conditioning regime will help him and other players remain fit for the majority of next season.

2 hours ago, Blatter said:

Then there's Matias and Winnall. Thats three too many to give them all enough game time to stay sharp and match fit.

Then in central midfield there's Bannan, Pellupessy, Jones, Lee, Hutchinson, and probably Clare and Reach.

Then there's the three keepers.

The squad is bloated and needs thinning out, not only for P&S reasons but just to keep the core of the squad fully involved.

Short term memory problems mate?  If we hadn't had a 'bloated' squad, we'd be playing 3rd division football in August.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Short term memory problems mate?  If we hadn't had a 'bloated' squad, we'd be playing 3rd division football in August.

The problem is whether we consider the squad 'bloated' or not some players will either have to be sold or loaned out or both to get losses down.  

I would guess that when the club did this years forecast for P&S they would have had to show that there was some strategy for cost cutting this year.

If not we would surely have contravened the rules and had some form of penalty imposed. 

So whether we like it or not I think we will see a good bit of change in the transfer window.

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

2. Where does he fit in the current system when we play 3 up front.?

I think it needs someone with a bit more presence to play at the top, but Hooper could easily play on the right side of the 3.  It's not just about pace...it's also about intelligent link up play, one touch passing, making little triangles, 1-2's, playing off/with the RB, runnning in behind, etc.  Joao can do this, with pace.  But I'd argue Hooper is better in most of those areas, but he's slower. 

I can see Hooper and Joao making that right side of the 3 theirs next season.  Different players for different opposites.

5 hours ago, flash said:

A great conundrum to have!

In Atdhe, FF, Joao, Hooper and Fletcher we have a wealth of talent who will thrive if we can guarantee service, something we lacked at times under CC! This also doesn’t include Rhodes! 

Strengthen the spine this summer with a few CBs and a CM, add some more pace down the flanks to compete with Reach/Hunt and we’ll be there or thereabouts! 

I don’t get this obsession with signing centre halves?? If Fred signs that’s Lees, JVA, Fred, Pudil with Nielsen and Thorniley up to the job. I’d also drop Hutch back there, always looked solid next to Lees and far less likely to injure himself/get suspended. That’s 7 CB’s, if we’re on a shoestring with FFP I’d rather us use what we have to bring in full backs/wingers. 

35 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

I think it needs someone with a bit more presence to play at the top, but Hooper could easily play on the right side of the 3.  It's not just about pace...it's also about intelligent link up play, one touch passing, making little triangles, 1-2's, playing off/with the RB, runnning in behind, etc.  Joao can do this, with pace.  But I'd argue Hooper is better in most of those areas, but he's slower. 

I can see Hooper and Joao making that right side of the 3 theirs next season.  Different players for different opposites.

No chance could he play on the right 

He would NEVER track back, he would never press their full back - his fitness is one thing but his work rate is poor 

His technical ability can’t be argued with and you either build round him or don’t play him 

This isn’t an opinion borne from our recent upturn in performances - I’m probably the only person in the ground that isn’t a huge fan of his 

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Memory's fine thanks, understand your point totally but do you really want to go into another season with seven strikers and seven central midfielders.

That run of injuries was exceptional  and with the more professional management in place will not be repeated.

Thin em out in order to reinforce defence and the wide positions.

Anyone who doubts Hooper needs to watch his contribution in the Brighton play off games. His movement & distribution is 2nd to non in this division. If he starts the season on fire like this last 1 everyone will be s*cking him off until he gets an injury.

A fully fit Gary Hooper is one of the first names on the team sheet. Shown in the last 18 months how important he is to us as a team. He's not the same player he was at Celtic or Scunthorpe or even Norwich. He's a better all round footballer as well as having the eye for a goal he had at those other clubs. Alongside a Nuhiu or a Joao with Forestieri around them would be a force in this division.