Made my mind up

I think others have mentioned this already, but we are now in an extended pre-season to get ready for next year.

He tried 4-3-3 last night but failed, for most of the first half at least...

He has used 3-5-2 which i think is the way to go but with "proper" wing-backs

He has also tried 4-5-1, but the players could not cope with that even though it is a very flexible system.

Get the fitness in place and hopefully the likes of Hooper, Westwood, Bannan, Nando  and Hutch will be back and fully fit.

10 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Overall Luhukay has led us to 17 points from 16 games. Given the horrendous circumstances he inherited, that isn't terrible. On a points per game basis it's almost identical with Carvalhal's record and he had something approaching a full squad for much of his time in charge. It's not a cause for great optimism but he could have done much worse. I suspect his predecessor might have had he stayed.

We will never know 

17 minutes ago, Lombado said:

I think others have mentioned this already, but we are now in an extended pre-season to get ready for next year.

He has also tried 4-5-1, but the players could not cope with that even though it is a very flexible system.

Get the fitness in place and hopefully the likes of Hooper, Westwood, Bannan, Nando  and Hutch will be back and fully fit.

Let's be right about this Hutch and Hooper will not play the majority of the season, as good as Hutch is it wouldn't bother me if we let him go , his injuries are far to frequent and I'm afraid he's a liability with his disciplinary record 

Nando needs to prove he's back to his old self before we can say he'll be the saviour.

We need pace and hungry young players that can do a job at the top end of the championship , like loaning a few from premier league teams like the majority of this division seems to 

The summer is massive for our club and for me big changes need to take place 

Unfortunately Im still not convinced Jos is the answer - if he stays I'm sure we will finish higher than this season, how much of that will be down to having a full squad I'm not sure.

What I cant see is us finishing top 6 with him - can anyone else?

And that's what I want lol

Very on the fence. 

He seems like a decent bloke and there's been a few decent results...but some of his selections are a bit baffling. 

Suddenly switching to a 4-3-3 last night was a bit mad imo. No wonder we were all at sea in the first 15. 

Whole thing is a bit of a mess tbh. We've got so much dead wood in the squad that you could construct a summer house and furniture out if it. 

55 minutes ago, Lombado said:

Don't forget the 5-5-0 at Millwall.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Very on the fence. 

He seems like a decent bloke and there's been a few decent results...but some of his selections are a bit baffling. 

Suddenly switching to a 4-3-3 last night was a bit mad imo. No wonder we were all at sea in the first 15. 

Whole thing is a bit of a mess tbh. We've got so much dead wood in the squad that you could construct a summer house and furniture out if it. 

And many of them are still under contract for at least a further year. Who is going to take this poo off us? Another bottom half season coming up next year unless we get 2/3 quality players in to make up for the dross. 

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes there’s a bigger picture to look at than just “he’s missing some injured players”. He can still send a side out in the right formation, tactics, and with confidence and motivation.  I’m not sure any of those were right last night in that first half, and in fact most of the first halves performances under Jos have been disappointing. Which makes me wonder if he’s doing a good job during training in build up to matches. 

His lack of energy and personality on the sidelines also worries me, as he’s not managing Arsenal with world class footballers, he’s managing in the championship where players may need more enthausiasm, instruction and motivation. It’s no surprise that the managers at the top end of the league all seem to have that 

This worries me too when you see him just sat motionless when goals are going in. I’m not sure what positive effect that is having on the players when they look over to see a bloke they have probably never heard of is sat watching in silence. 

12 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Firstly, as a bloke, I like Jos. Before a couple of games he's signed autographs and done the PR bit with my lad and a few other young uns.

His openness about injuries, his approach to giving youth a chance and reluctance to rush players back - all highly admirable qualities.

Scroll past the next paras if you want Jos to stay.

The wins.

Reading - F A cup, flattered by the scoreline, a very average opponent anyway.

Leeds and Preston. Games won late on where we the score line flattered us.

Sunderland away - toxic club who most have beat, crucial decision went our way at 2-1.

Derby at home was fully deserved.But that's it.

Now for the real truth, under Jos, 

Birmingham

Bristol

QPR - all over at half time.

Based on his fiirst 3 months, a full season under Jos would see us in a relegation battle. Is that what we want ?

Not sure what our budgets will be next season, I'd like to think we could attract somebody who could offer more than mid table mediocrity (at best) - I'd like Johnson from Bristol.

But back to Jos, if your remit was to keep us up, thanks, but move over. If it was to offer hope of progress, it not happened.

I'm not a CC fan, wouldn't want him  back this century, but based on what we've seen, his replacent will not take us forward.

I think you’re being a bit harsh. A win is a win and as they say .. it’s a results based business. 

With that in mind I thought when he was announced his job was purely to keep us up, and it looks like he’s done that.

Got to agree though , like you said, seems a nice bloke  but surely he can’t be the best option for next season 

Edited by Mr Soul

Said this on another thread, same applies to the knee jerk reaction crew here...........................

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. The problem with football fans is they want and demand immediate success and significant improvements.

It is unreasonable and just plain stupid to judge him on this season. 

He inherited a demotivated, mismanaged and severely injured hit group of over paid ageing players that have been in a comfort zone for way too long.

Even the best manager in the world would need time to sort out this shambles. 

Lets at least have the common sense to give the guy a pre season to prepare the squad and if he doesn’t perform next season then he’ll have had a shot at it.

Calls for him to go at the end of the season are really just short term misguided classic football fan thinking IMO. 

• Like 1

Undecided as yet, I like his honesty and seems to be sensible about looking after the players and getting them fit. But there are still questions about tactics etc. And losing away in just 15 minutes is awful.

I'm not convinced next season would offer us a good run at promotion regardless of who is manager. We are still in a poo state squad wise, and I struggle to see who is going to want to buy our expired broken under performers to facilitate this mass clear out that we all seem to be baying for. I would take a season decent mid table if we build for the next year.

So on balance, I would probably give him another season.

Roll up, roll up for the great Wednesday knacker's yard lawn sale!!

_60798810_jex_1430711_de01-1.jpg

Edited by Anus

For Jos, this season's task was to keep us up. He's done that comfortably, and seems to be trying things and seeing what he can get from certain players right now. We made individual errors last night from Wildsmith and Lees which basically saw the game done in the first 15 minutes. We did win the 2nd half at least, so the players didn't just fold under Jos.

I think we need to keep in mind the positives.

He came in to a mess of a team, we'd lost 5 of the previous 6 league games, yet when he came in we lost just one of the next 9. Including a very welcome 0-0 at the lane. Stabilising the side with the players available was not simple or easy. He deserves credit for it.

Jos is a disciplinarian. He will get the players fit for the season. We won't have the same injury shambles we saw this season.

He's turned around some individuals:

Joao.. last 13 games, 7 goals, 4 assists.

Adthe.. last 5 games, 6 goals, 1 assist.

Nando's only been back on the pitch for a little over 1 games worth of minutes, but has bagged 2 goals.

Venancio's become a pretty stable defender.
Pudil's become a pretty solid center back.

All of those 5 looked like their time at the club may be done. 4 looked like they just weren't good enough.

If he can get similar improvements in our 'first choice' players, then who knows what could happen next season.

The main challenge of the squad is what system fits them best. He probably won't be chomping at the bit to go 4 at the back, given that the only 2 times we've played that under him we've shipped 4 goals both games. Hunt and Palmer can play wing back well enough (despite what some might claim), but we have no option on the left other than Reach. It also leaves us with real unknowns about where best to play Nando. Also, regardless of formation, we're overstocked up front, and that needs sorting out. Rhodes, Hooper, Fletch, Joao, Nuhiu, Winnall, Nando and Matias.. potentially all looking for a place with only 2 available. We need to lose half of them probably, which could be really controversial.

I think everyone needs to keep their heads a bit. Too many are just letting their feelings about a poor overall season colour their judgement, leading to ill-considered talk like "need a clean break". Look at Jos in context. He's done well with what's available. If our whole squad is back fit for the start of next season and he does well with what's available again, then we'll be up the right end of the table, no doubt.

21 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I want him to do well ...

Think he should get a transfer window and the chance to do his own thing. Since he's been here he's had his finger in the dyke. 

Pure Filth 

Absolute Pure Filth ..........:stuwinky:

Any photos perchance Snoots ?

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 6