Made my mind up

7 minutes ago, pussface said:

This.

A defensive manager who’s team regularly ships over 2 goals a game... 

A team with one first-choice defender, no first-choice goalie, no first-choice CMs and no first choice strikers.

Lees and Forestieri are first-choice in the roles they played, and Reach is first-choice but wide not centrally.

Yet his record this season is better than the man who built and ruined the squad.

I will judge Jos next season, after seeing who he buys and sells, and after seeing what he can do with his 1st team rather than someone else’s reserves.

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think our whole recruitment should be looked at, not just our reserve players.  We've thrown big money at players (and lots of them) and their agents and I don't think we can say it's been a blinding success has it?

Our recruitment policy , especislly post Wembley, has badly let us all down, and left us with a bloated, unbalanced squad, with little resale value and half of who haven't been fit all year. 

Are the reserve players not up to it?  Well, no not really.  Carlos alluded to it,  as did the chairman in his Q&A sessions that it was more a case of just getting bodies through the doors.  The  there was all thing about "or hard to motivate when they know they are only back up"

The whole season has been an unmitigated disaster that started before the abysmal showing at Preston on the opening day but in the pre season and the game against Rangers.

We have spent in excess of £30m in assembling one of the biggest squads in the division, six victories in 23 matches and on a 6 game losing streak before Jos. He arrived in the New Year , the busiest time kn the fixtures sxhedule ,with half the squad out and having to rely on an inexperienced kid in the net , ot being able to have fulk traininf sessions an unfit and thin group of  reserves to steer through and allowed a tiny net spend of £450k to get us through the disaster period. He's got 6 wins in 20. 

And now we want to give him the boot when we're eventually getting some of the better players back? When the season is drawing to go a close we'd he's got a proper chance to work with the players.  Just seems a bit short sighted , IMO to judge him just on this period. 

Tonight I think it's quite clear he was experimenting with things. It didn't pay off. But he'll have learnt something. He's being flexible and trying different things. 

If he stays and fails. I'll be the first to say he's had a chance and f*cked it up and needs to go.  But until he's had that chance... I don't know how so many can be so positive that he will fail.  We just don't know yet. No one can really know till he's had a proper crack at it like any other manager would need in the same circumstances.

Good night folks.

UTO

A very good post

Guest The Horse

Wouldn't worry too much about last night's scoreline.

You always get weird results in pre-season games.

Edited by The Horse

7 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Fs another idiot.

Can I ask a question. Where was this thread after we best Sunderland? TIA

Very objective of you.

Sunderland, high flying, taking the division by storm, Sunderland ? I'll   agree we'd not lost that one in the first 30 minutes.

QPR and Brum are much stronger so we should accept those performances, hurrah for Jos.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Very objective of you.

Sunderland, high flying, taking the division by storm, Sunderland ? I'll   agree we'd not lost that one in the first 30 minutes.

QPR and Brum are much stronger so we should accept those performances, hurrah for Jos.

Only really blame Jos can take for both those defeats is picking Wildsmith and Venancio v Brum, Can you not see individual errors cost us both games so that's bugger all to do with tactics. 

Seriously fear the worst for next season, very little budget, injury prone players, too many players that aren’t good enough. 

wildsmith (still young) can’t be first choice next season 

pudil needs to be released 

Loovens as above 

thorniley not good enough could get better in next few years tho 

Palmer not good enough 

jones not good enough 

Pelupessy very lightweight game passes him by 

Hutchinson love him but just can’t rely on him anymore 

Buttercup no words for him 

Nuhiu I know he’s had a good run but still doubt he could do it over a full season 

Rhodes very disappointed it’s not worked for him need to take what we can get 

Wallace released 

we need to be looking at moving players on to freshen the team up, we have a good core of players to build around still

westwood 

lees 

hunt 

bannan 

lee

reach 

forestieri 

hooper 

My fear is, we will try get players fit and stick with pretty much the same players next season (maybe 2/3 signings instead of 7/8). Chansiri seems to think this team was good enough 2 years ago so why not now! Sorry but you can’t stand still in football. 

Hope I’m wrong, but could be a relegation fight next season 

• Haha 1

IF Jos stays, and I think he will, and IF there are funds available to for new players I can see him going overseas to buy the type of players that he is used to managing.
Now a big German central defender or a hard Dutch midfield general wouldn't go amiss but another season of team building, another season of getting used to the Championship.....
All I can say is 

Old.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Only really blame Jos can take for both those defeats is picking Wildsmith and Venancio v Brum, Can you not see individual errors cost us both games so that's bugger all to do with tactics. 

I would never blame him for individual errors. Those kind of errors are magnified when it's the keeper or a defender.

I also accept that the 2 named are probably not first choice players.

I want the man to be a success, I've stuck up for him before, but my gut feeling is he is not a winner, and if the aim is fly higher, we should look elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

His tactics and formation last night was terrible. 

Yes there’s a bigger picture to look at than just “he’s missing some injured players”. He can still send a side out in the right formation, tactics, and with confidence and motivation.  I’m not sure any of those were right last night in that first half, and in fact most of the first halves performances under Jos have been disappointing. Which makes me wonder if he’s doing a good job during training in build up to matches. 

His lack of energy and personality on the sidelines also worries me, as he’s not managing Arsenal with world class footballers, he’s managing in the championship where players may need more enthausiasm, instruction and motivation. It’s no surprise that the managers at the top end of the league all seem to have that 

I keep saying it but the injury excuse has led to Jos getting away with murder.

The way people talk about injuries it's as though he's had a sunday league team. It's rubbish as there's still been talented players in that squad, on big money, with promotion experience, who frankly he can't get a game out of. Yes blame the players but the manager must take a lot of flack for that.

There is nothing from Jos whatsoever that gives the impression that he'll do well at swfc.I can only see us continuing to backwards

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cypriot Owl said:

IF Jos stays, and I think he will, and IF there are funds available to for new players I can see him going overseas to buy the type of players that he is used to managing.
Now a big German central defender or a hard Dutch midfield general wouldn't go amiss but another season of team building, another season of getting used to the Championship.....
All I can say is 

Old.gif

If JP is any indication of the kind of player he’ll be signing then we’re fizzed.

It’s a good job that this side of misfits managed a few good results of late, or it might have been terminal. All that I can say is that  they didn’t give up, and in that there must be the basis of a side lurking somewhere in S6, it’s Jos’s job to find it. Why they always start like tortoises and finish like hares is the mystery, I thought it to be a Carlos tactic, but obviously not. Would an experienced midfield player and skipper, such as Chris Brunt be the answer to our obvious first half lethargy?

Edited by optimisticowl

9 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Firstly, as a bloke, I like Jos. Before a couple of games he's signed autographs and done the PR bit with my lad and a few other young uns.

His openness about injuries, his approach to giving youth a chance and reluctance to rush players back - all highly admirable qualities.

Scroll past the next paras if you want Jos to stay.

The wins.

Reading - F A cup, flattered by the scoreline, a very average opponent anyway.

Leeds and Preston. Games won late on where we the score line flattered us.

Sunderland away - toxic club who most have beat, crucial decision went our way at 2-1.

Derby at home was fully deserved.But that's it.

Now for the real truth, under Jos, 

Birmingham

Bristol

QPR - all over at half time.

Based on his fiirst 3 months, a full season under Jos would see us in a relegation battle. Is that what we want ?

Not sure what our budgets will be next season, I'd like to think we could attract somebody who could offer more than mid table mediocrity (at best) - I'd like Johnson from Bristol.

But back to Jos, if your remit was to keep us up, thanks, but move over. If it was to offer hope of progress, it not happened.

I'm not a CC fan, wouldn't want him  back this century, but based on what we've seen, his replacent will not take us forward.

Totally agree and I don’t think the recruitment would be right. We desperately need to get rid of dead wood and not replace it with unknown ,untested foreign imports.

“Based on his first 3 months we’d be in relegation battle next season”

Thats not really a fair criticism is it? Because you’d assume that next season we’d at least have our best players back and some additions to replace some of the bottle jobs in this squad. 

He’s taken over a team in extraordinary circumstances. Injuries galore and some really mentally weak players who are not up for a battle. 

Is he the right man? Dunno..jury is out. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given the squad and scenario he inherited.

• Like 2

After 15 minutes tonight we're obviously in big, big trouble but where's Jos? He's not on the touchline trying to sort it out. No he's hiding in the dugout doing precisely sfa. I'm not asking for Conti or Klopp type antics but ffs, do something to instill a bit of confidence at least !!