What's the worst Owls injury crisis ever?

This is Wednesdays worst ever injury crisis but Nothing has Changed as Theresa May said the other week "Nothing has Changed".

True Nothing tangible has changed other than that which Buxton Agent eluded to. Nothing tangible has changed but there has been a massive shift in the reciprocity of relationships between board and player. I remember one morning being behind the south stand as a kid when a certain Wednesday player greeted Eric Taylor with "Good Morning Sir" That relationship, a power relationship, doesn't exist any more. But players were, often to their cost, encouraged to play through the pain. Wages have exploded and in that explosion that old relationship has been obliterated. But more than this, the advances in medical science.

We all witness on a regular basis the victims of playing through the pain as they hobble up to the ground as legends whos hips or knees have been damaged by Arthritis, Add to this the new kid on the block, Dementia with a causal link being proffered to heading the ball.

On all fronts players are wanting to be 100% when they play and remain 100% as they age. In days gone by players cowed at Directors demands and played on pain killers. It was either that way or the highway for their £20 a week.

The next question is ...Do some players take the pi55; Of course they do but it's all there in black and white in the contracts. Maybe the owners/directors just need to be a little more savi and link a bigger % of the contracts to appearances and bonuses.           

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

This is Wednesdays worst ever injury crisis but Nothing has Changed as Theresa May said the other week "Nothing has Changed".

True Nothing tangible has changed other than that which Buxton Agent eluded to. Nothing tangible has changed but there has been a massive shift in the reciprocity of relationships between board and player. I remember one morning being behind the south stand as a kid when a certain Wednesday player greeted Eric Taylor with "Good Morning Sir" That relationship, a power relationship, doesn't exist any more. But players were, often to their cost, encouraged to play through the pain. Wages have exploded and in that explosion that old relationship has been obliterated. But more than this, the advances in medical science.

We all witness on a regular basis the victims of playing through the pain as they hobble up to the ground as legends whos hips or knees have been damaged by Arthritis, Add to this the new kid on the block, Dementia with a causal link being proffered to heading the ball.

On all fronts players are wanting to be 100% when they play and remain 100% as they age. In days gone by players cowed at Directors demands and played on pain killers. It was either that way or the highway for their £20 a week.

The next question is ...Do some players take the pi55; Of course they do but it's all there in black and white in the contracts. Maybe the owners/directors just need to be a little more savi and link a bigger % of the contracts to appearances and bonuses.           

Difference was though that in the days of £20/week wages the pain killers were 2 aspirins.

If that wasn't enough a reserve team player took your place.

The more powerful stuff &  courtisone injections came a lot later.

This one is a shocker but we have been here before.

The infamous Steve Bruce header game at old Trafford, we started with a strike force of Watson and Jemson and brought on bright who was so crocked he could hardly move.

the Cardiff game noted above we had Boden, modest and slusarski in the starting eleven and lekaj and liversidge on the bench. 

Start of season 1957-8 Wednesday had a flu crisis and got FA permission to postpone the first 2 games.  The 3rd game was played as per fixture list but with a weakened side.

We were relegated from the top division at the end of the season.  But flu doesn't last forever.

I started going the season after.  I've never known a situation where virtually every first teamer is out.  And mostly with long-term injuries.

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Difference was though that in the days of £20/week wages the pain killers were 2 aspirins.

As someone who was born in 1950 with a considerable skeletal frame abnormality I know a little about this subject. In fact Oral and intra-articular administration of cortisone and hydrocortisone began in 1950-51. Several lines of research to produce cortisone semi-synthetically showed some success by 1952. Between 1954 and 1958 six synthetic steroids were introduced for systemic anti-imflammatory therapy. By 1960 all of the toxic effects of chronic corticosteroid administration had been described, as well as protocols to withdraw such drugs while minimising symptoms of cortical insufficiency. To enable use of lower corticosteroid dosages, companion use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs began in the late 1950s, with phenylbutazone the first. In the 1970s the introduction of methotrexate and other anti-metabolites further circumscribed the dosages and indications for corticosteroids in the rheumatic diseases. Rest assured that painkillers on offer prior to 1970 were a lot stronger and more effective than a couple of Asprins. Of course, what ever pain killers were used they merely masked the pain while the ware on the joints and the symptoms of the joint deterioration grew worse.  

Still the day may dawn when advances in joint replacement therapy may allow strength of the hip or knee joints and guarantee the required  freedom of movement for sportsmen and women.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

1973 was the injury crisis that did for Dooley + a Flu epidemic going through the club.

I remember the flu epidemic as well.  I may be wrong but I seem to remember the club contemplating playing that one behind closed doors... long time ago now so I might not be 100% correct.  Besides that I think this is probably the worst injury crises since at least 1971...

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Don't forget the miracle of the "magic spray" lol

There was the great plague of 1881, in which the whole squad was struck by a particularly hairy virus leaving them partially blind in both eyes. A local shaman was called to rectify the situation but he too had the plague and was absolutely f*cking useless, at one stage trying to cure a penny farthing.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

1973 was the injury crisis that did for Dooley + a Flu epidemic going through the club.

No inoculations in those days, the virus went through the dressing room like wildfire. Carlos’s mistake was in asking players to do what they were not fit enough to do, the fitter you are, the harder it is to injure you.

6 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

This has to be the worst surely, it's a good job our squad so big or we'd be f00ked.

Westwood

Van Aken

Lees

Hutch

Bannan

Lee

FF

Hooper

Fletcher

that's a massive chunk of our 1st team not available, we're actually doing pretty well under the circumstances

All looked after by NHS? 

I have been an Owl since 1967 and cannot remember having so many injuries and players being out for so long. I think this is down to not being fit (under CC) and the medical team not being up for the job, don't know why they got rid of the miracle spray that was used in the 60-80's, used to do wonders.

6 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I think Boro tried that once and got points docked.

It was even better than that. They had a virus go through the squad and only had about 15 players available, several of which were youngsters. They contacted the Premier League and were of the understanding that they could call the game off if there was "just cause" but it's not clear if they were formally granted permission to do so. The club certainly thought they were covered and did not turn up to the game at Blackburn. But they ended up being fined and deducted three points for failing to fulfill a fixture.

In the end, they were relegated by 2 points. Oops.

11 hours ago, fatbloke said:

I can remember a time not too many years ago when we had to name the team goal keeping coach to have enough to fill the bench can anybody else remember this and dates ..?

Eric Nixon?

Can't remember who we played. But he came on and then flattened the opposition number 9 coming for a cross. Showing the young ones how it's done. 

This is the worst in my time watching us. Yes the early 2000's weren't great but we had much less in the way of a medical team back then (some might disagree about that). It's not just the amount of players it's the quality as well. To basically have the heart of the team ripped out is a devastating blow. I can't remember losing 8/9 players that would easily be regular first team starters before. We might have lost 4/5 and then had another 4/5 out who were fringe players at some point but that isn't worse in my opinion.