What's the worst Owls injury crisis ever?

Does anyone remember having more players out than we have now. I seem to have read that Dooleys sacking was down to injuries.

Personally I can't remember when so many players have been out for so long. Sometimes you might get a couple of games when 6 or 7 are out. This seems to months without 8 key players.

I remember a period when Laws was manager that we were down to the bare bones facing a relegation scrap. That was the time when we desperately brought in any loan player available and ended up with the Polish lad that did OK'ish, the Israeli lad and Showumni who was best forgotten.

• Haha 1

I remember that we've had some very bad injury crises from time to time, but I can't remember the exact severity of them. I doubt they were quite like this though. We certainly used to get a fair amount of long term injuries.

The worst thing about the current situation is that every single one of the players could arguably be in our 'best XI', so we've been weakened right across the team, so even if we've had more players out before, perhaps this current situation is the most devastating; although, we probably have a bigger squad now than we've ever had, so I suppose it's not so easy to measure just how devastating these injuries are to the first team.

• Like 1

I remember a few years back that a virus went through the squad making it hard to put a team out.

But that was short-term. I don't remember us having as many serious, long-term injuries as we've got now.

You've got to wonder if some of it is psychosomatic. Matias seems to have made a miraculous recovery

apixel.gif

Funding-crisis owl sanctuary closes to visitors

Published: 19:05Thursday 06 March 2003
  • AN owl sanctuary opened six years ago by entertainer Bruce Forsyth is to close to visitors because of a lack of funds.

Angela Huntridge has been taking in and looking after wounded and sick owls for 22 years, and in 1996 she opened the Hawk's Nest Owl Sanctuary in Bawtry, near Doncaster.

But now she says she does not have the funds to insure herself for visitors to the centre although she remains adamant the sanctuary itself will not be closing.

She said: "There is no lottery or business funding that I can claim to help run this place, which costs me in excess of 300 a week just for feeds alone.

"Much as I like having the visitors here I just can't afford the 800 a year for public liability insurance, so I am having to say no more visitors.

"We have to rely on the fund raising and my own money to run this place. Local people have been extremely generous over the years, so I am very sad to have to do this."

She is also refusing to take in any more unwanted pets after being inundated with numerous birds.

"I can only afford to look after the disabled birds and the ones which people have rescued by the side of the roads," added Ms Huntridge.

"These owls are my life, I must have looked after thousands in my time, but they are very expensive birds to look after.

"They are not pets and I always try to stress that. A wild eagle owl can be as vicious as a lion cub, hardly the sort of creature you would take in as a pet.

"But I just don't have the room at the sanctuary any more for the birds that people find they can no longer cope with."

There are currently 140 injured and recuperating owls living at the sanctuary, which is on the Great North Road, Bawtry.

Donations can be made to the sanctuary at Thoresby Market every Sunday, where some of the feathered residents can be seen.

• Haha 1

Having 8 first teamers out, to pick a year at random, had this injury crisis happened in 1993 it’d be the equivalent of having Woods, Pearson, Nilsson, Sheridan, Palmer, Waddle, Hirst and Bright all injured at the same time.

Puts it into context and I honestly don’t think the club has ever had an injury crisis as bad as this before or at least not in my time following the owls.

Edited by TrickyTrev

This has to be the worst surely, it's a good job our squad so big or we'd be f00ked.

Westwood

Van Aken

Lees

Hutch

Bannan

Lee

FF

Hooper

Fletcher

that's a massive chunk of our 1st team not available, we're actually doing pretty well under the circumstances

My first game was 1957/58 season. 

I have never in all that time known so many players out/injured at the same time.

That includes the flu epidemic of the late '50's (much worse than we have now) and the coach crash on the way back from the Arsenal game.

The worrying thing is the long term nature of the injuries. I know the game is more demanding due to the pace played nowadays but the fitness level demanded by modern coaches seem far below the levels we saw only a few years ago.

I can never remember, in all my 70 years of watching Wed., us having so many 'long term' injuries as we have at present. But, what's all this palaver about 'large Squads'. Originally, and for many years, all local clubs had a First Team which played in the Football League, and a second eleven who pllayed regularly in the Central League as it was known. They played the same number of fixtures as the first teams, and if a player got injured, his replacement had to come from this team or any Youth Teams the clubs played.  The 'transfer market' was much smaller, there were no substitutions, even if the Goalkeeper was stretchered off. You were down to 10 men, and an outfield player put on the GK's jersey for the rest of the game. i once remember our GK being stretchered off (I think it was possibly Dave Mackintosh) quite early in a home game. The left half replaced him. one Douggie Whitcomb, who was only small, and he played a blinder!

Mind , there was one big difference. The maximum wage clubs were allowed to pay was £20 per week     . Good wages at the time, but hardly a fortune. And it meant that the big clubs were unable to pay more than the smaller clubs.In theory anyway.

Self inflicted injury crisis by all accounts too , most of the injuries could have been prevented by better training , fitness levels and proper recuperation.

I was a big fan of Carlos but the last few games and the revelations coming out show we are better off without him.