David Jones

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

At the end of the day, the guy has 4 promotions to his name, which is more than anyone else in the squad. 

In that holding role, just screening in front of the back four, I think he does a really decent job. Intercepts the ball without lunging in and then has enough ability to pick a pass to a teammate. 

He'll never earn the love and adulation of a Hutchinson who is all blood, thunder, effort etc, but for me I think Jones is positionally better in that position. He seems to occupy the right area of the pitch, whilst Sam (who I rate a lot) has a propensity to drop too far back, almost becoming a third center back. 

Some noteworthy points here.  Jones just does the job, simply and effectively.

With Hutchinson when deemed as fit to play he's not and never will be 100% fit.  Therefore drops too deep, doesn't influence the game and managers himself through the game.  Being too deep leads to poor positional play (we've never been easier to play through then when Sam is in the team) which in-turn leads to heroic 40 yard sprints, frantic lunges and last ditch tackles (which Wednesday fans prefer to see over the quiet man Jones).

Fact is we will always be a better team with Jones in it over Hutchinson.  It's the Wednesday fan way to prefer the blood and thunder over the quality players player type.

1 minute ago, simowl said:

With Hutchinson when deemed as fit to play he's not and never will be 100% fit.  Therefore drops too deep, doesn't influence the game and managers himself through the game.  Being too deep leads to poor positional play (we've never been easier to play through then when Sam is in the team) which in-turn leads to heroic 40 yard sprints, frantic lunges and last ditch tackles (which Wednesday fans prefer to see over the quiet man Jones).

Fact is we will always be a better team with Jones in it over Hutchinson.  It's the Wednesday fan way to prefer the blood and thunder over the quality players player type.

Yep. 

I think Sam is a terrific player, but he's kind of stuck between two positions. 

Last season I noticed that he on quite a few occasions would drop very, very deep, almost making a three at the back. The problem was the rest of the midfield didn't adjust accordingly, so you had a huge gap between Hutch and his central midfield partner which left quite a large space in the middle third of the pitch. Might have just been a case of Carlos or one of the coaches having a quiet word and telling him to move a bit further forward, but then Sam's natural game is to defend. 

Jones is a holding midfielder. That's his position and it's what he's good at. It's not exactly spectacular to watch, but he gives the likes of Bannan, Lee etc a licence to get forward and do what they are good at. 

An underrated member of the squad imo. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Copthorneowl
33 minutes ago, Hutch's biscuit knee said:

Absoulte sh!te! the guy wouldn't get into my over 35 team lol

Lets celebrate the fact he can't get in your team but he can get in ours good stats holmowl

6 minutes ago, simowl said:

As much we love Sam's passion, he is a liability when the chips are down (Brighton away !), seems to enjoy playing the hard man so refs look for him, opposition will bait him. Injuries now catching up with him. Jones safer bet all day long, especially against Porkie Pigs, we're in good hands here. 

22 minutes ago, SiJ said:

At the end of the day, the guy has 4 promotions to his name, which is more than anyone else in the squad. 

In that holding role, just screening in front of the back four, I think he does a really decent job. Intercepts the ball without lunging in and then has enough ability to pick a pass to a teammate. 

He'll never earn the love and adulation of a Hutchinson who is all blood, thunder, effort etc, but for me I think Jones is positionally better in that position. He seems to occupy the right area of the pitch, whilst Sam (who I rate a lot) has a propensity to drop too far back, almost becoming a third center back. 

Agree with that.

He's a great spoiler, disrupts a lot of the opponent's play through the middle.

Doesn't get that involved in our buildup but I'm increasingly realising that's not his job. He's there to let Bannan play higher up. BB doesn't always make use of the license but Jones offers it in a way Hutch doesn't, Hutch being a more forward-driving DM. Jones doing well IMO, it's a valuable role if we want to see Wednesday attacking more.

If you look at the game football manager, how they rate a player by listing abilities, Hutchinson wouldn't come near Jones in many categories.

Anticipation, Concentration, Composure, Off The Ball, Team Work, Vision, Positioning and Decision Making

I'd give Hutch

Bravery, Aggression, Determination and Work Rate.

It's soo easy to see how Hutchinsons attributes are endearing to many fans but Jones allows us to play better football and WIN, WIN, WIN

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

The idiot behind me on the North stand did nothing but slag him off the entire match, I honestly think he was watching a different game!!

A guy in front of me on the north was doing it all match. Was slating half the team actually. 

Started to wee wee me off but managed to block him out. 

I honestly don't see the point in going at all if that's how that's how these people see it. They'll never be happy 

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

His last 11 games...

P11. W7. D4. L0. GF17. GA8

Whatever it is he gives us, we want more of the same.

Thought he was good again tonight. Very influential in that 25 minute spell where we were right on top.

Pretty much sums everything up . 

I see Dutchmclovin has switched his negative attention from Bannan to Jones now .