David Jones

16 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Been rock solid for a month now, yet still I can constantly hear people dying to jump on any little error.

We've got some right numpties. 

Someone gave him 1 out of 10 on the ratings section vs Brentford, I thought he had a poor first half, but then so did a lot of players. Made up for it with a solid second half. 

I think there is a place for Jones, he does a good job screnning the back 4, closing space in the middle and often unoticed. He is not going to be a world beater, go on surging runs etc, his job is to win the ball and give it to the more creative players then keep the back door guarded while they go and attack. 

I think his pesence allows Bannan and Lee (and the full backs) in particular to be more attack minded, which is a good thing.

35 minutes ago, Ian said:

That might be me then.....mind you, if you're the bloke in front of me you wouldn't have a clue what's going on as you'd be the one looking at your acca tracker 90% of the game

Surely you don't attend Hillsborough and then slag off our own players who are trying to win a game for us?

31 minutes ago, Ian said:

Not really - he just wants it getting forward with passes on the ground rather than lumped.....sounds like he knows more than some to me

He also shouts take him out, player puts in a tackle and he then goes on to berate player for the foul. He's a simpleton just like all the others who abuse our own players.

We could play 12 with Jones in the side..No bugger notices him, 

I've seen refs trot across to book him, then they glaze over, shake their heads and wave play on,,,,

Oppo midfielders suddenly stop and fall over for no apparent reason....get up, look around perplexed...

We could get away with 

honest........................

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, beano said:

All about opinions.

Mine is that he frustrates me. It's like he always looks for the backwards/sideways pass, even when there are (sometimes better) options in front of him. When Tom Lees looked to bring the ball out of defence in the second half, Jones took it off him and played it back to Westwood. Not gonna slate him, like I said, he just frustrates me.

He is a defensive midfielder - breaks up play, supports the defence and attacking midfielders.  

Pirlo he isn't..

He fits into the system and helps the midfield work as a unit - that's all he really needs to do tbh.

I like him, admittedly don't get to see the team as much as I used to.

Like others have said his positional play is really good from what I've seen, supports his other CM really well.

Still think Hutch is quality though, think it could well be horses for courses when he's back, especially with Jones being the other side of 30. 

Is is he a Wednesday fan or am I needing a lay down again?

He makes few mistakes, and I bet pass completion is high. 

Thing is, maybe there are sometimes passes forwards for him, but he plays balls he knows he is capable of. 

He isn't someone who tries these Hollywood balls, just simple, keeps it moving, then moves on for the next pass. 

He has players in and around him to play the forward balls (bannan, lee, even joost), and the wiling runners to the side (hunt and reach). 

Hes one of those players that every team needs, but you couldn't have a team full of players like that. 

He's the sort of player that in a normal work environment would be a 'processor'. Doesn't get much attention or glory because he just gets on with his job. Will never be 'employee of the month' because the work he puts in goes un-noticed, but without him, the flash harry sales reps wouldn't be able to do their jobs. The number of promotions he's been involved in aren't a coincidence. Reminds me a bit of Nigel Worthington - hugely important to the team, but not held in the same esteem as a Hirst or Waddle. 

I gave him 8/10 on Tuesday. But it's never easy at the match to know for sure how good individual contributions were, especially from a CDM.

However, I watched the extended highlights last night, and I hadn't realised how much of a part Jones had played in many of our better attacks.

As others have said, it's no coincidence he has four promotions.

And it's no coincidence we have won 7 and drawn 4 of the 11 recent games Jones has played.

12 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He is a defensive midfielder - breaks up play, supports the defence and attacking midfielders.  

Pirlo he isn't..

He fits into the system and helps the midfield work as a unit - that's all he really needs to do tbh.

Pirlo is one of the best midfielders of the past 20 years. Harsh comparison.

12 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

We could play 12 with Jones in the side..No bugger notices him, 

I've seen refs trot across to book him, then they glaze over, shake their heads and wave play on,,,,

Oppo midfielders suddenly stop and fall over for no apparent reason....get up, look around perplexed...

We could get away with 

honest........................

David "jedi" Jones. 

Edited by themaskedowl
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Pirlo he isn't..

Very rarely, he usually just back peddles until he is standing on the central defenders toes

9 hours ago, Rentaghost said:

He makes few mistakes, and I bet pass completion is high. 

Thing is, maybe there are sometimes passes forwards for him, but he plays balls he knows he is capable of. 

He isn't someone who tries these Hollywood balls, just simple, keeps it moving, then moves on for the next pass. 

He has players in and around him to play the forward balls (bannan, lee, even joost), and the wiling runners to the side (hunt and reach). 

Hes one of those players that every team needs, but you couldn't have a team full of players like that. 

Pretty much because he very rarely tries anything progressive...........its hard to mess up staying in one part of the pitch and passing it 10 yards.

As i said previously we have had worse midfielders but the love in baffles me...............just my opinion.