David Jones

I used to run a girls football team....some of the less able ones in a game took an age to get the ball in the right position in relation to their feet in order to be able to kick it....Jones brings back those memories every time I see him 

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

Pretty much sums everything up . 

I see Dutchmclovin has switched his negative attention from Bannan to Jones now . 

I'm happy now Bannan is being played properly again. When he lined up in cm yesterday I wasn't happy I'll tell you. A attacking Bannan is a good Bannan. Last year he wasn't and i wanted him dropped this year he is playing well and deserves the praise.

Jones I just don't see it. He looks scared has little impact and slows the play. I honestly don't see all this clamber for what he does. Holmowls stats are good but I do think it's despite Jones playing not because of 

For the life of me I can't see what he adds to the team, no pace, not strong, not a great tackler, distribution is average and some of his movement is comical and yet you can't argue that despite all this the results with him in the side are good. Strange one but so long as were winning I couldn't give a Shiite who plays.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

For the life of me I can't see what he adds to the team, no pace, not strong, not a great tackler, distribution is average and some of his movement is comical and yet you can't argue that despite all this the results with him in the side are good. Strange one but so long as were winning I couldn't give a Shiite who plays.

I find it hard to tear my eyes away from watching the ball. But last night I did make an effort from time to time to watch Jones off the ball. It was really interesting. His head was all-action, constantly swivelling to see what was happening around him and especially behind him. He was constantly filling gaps, taking up positions to make himself available for an out-ball. His intelligence might outweigh his ability, and together it makes for a very important player.

On the ball last night I thought he was excellent at changing play. Some lovely sweeping passes out to Reach and Bannan. 

No axe to grind with Jones and I don't sit there knocking him but for a defensive midfielder I expect him to be around the edge of the box getting blocks in and shepherding their players out of the danger area.  Last night they had numerous efforts from the edge of our box and Jones wasn't even in the picture.  When they were playing one twos on the edge of our box again he was nowhere to be seen.  When our full backs get caught up the pitch does he ever cover the ground to fill in for them - not once.  It's always a centre back that has to step out to do that job.

Yes he is disciplined, plays within his limits and there is no lack of effort, I just think his legs have completely gone and Brentford's mobile pacey players laid that bear last night.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I'm happy now Bannan is being played properly again. When he lined up in cm yesterday I wasn't happy I'll tell you. A attacking Bannan is a good Bannan. Last year he wasn't and i wanted him dropped this year he is playing well and deserves the praise.

Jones I just don't see it. He looks scared has little impact and slows the play. I honestly don't see all this clamber for what he does. Holmowls stats are good but I do think it's despite Jones playing not because of 

He keeps the ball moving and things ticking over, it's a very important thing to do. 

I thought he was awful in the Sunderland game (first time I'd seen him properly); hiding behind opposition players so he didn't have to receive the ball from a team mate in possession. Really naff player.

The he scored that scorcher.

Shows you what I know; I'd have subbed him 5 mins before it! :biggrin:

Been far more impressed with him since that game though; thinks he's been steady without being particularly amazing.

Edited by Owl Be Back

14 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Because he doesn't run around the pitch like a maniac like Hutchinson (who I rate highly), some fans just don't take to him. Sadly a lot of our fans also don't understand football and don't see how important his role in the team is at this moment in time, to them everything's black and white. Not as flashy but he's a solid 7/10 player every game at the minute and keeps it ticking over in midfield.

When he plays a pass he's always on the move straight afterwards looking for space. 

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Almost level with the home dig out, 2 thirds of the way up.

That might be me then.....mind you, if you're the bloke in front of me you wouldn't have a clue what's going on as you'd be the one looking at your acca tracker 90% of the game

Edited by Ian

7 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Who was the nob head at the top of the Kop shouting get it forward, then we get it forward and then shouts keep it down last night? We've got some r8 idiot fans. 

Not really - he just wants it getting forward with passes on the ground rather than lumped.....sounds like he knows more than some to me