David Jones

Myself and Ian have had a few disagreements on here , mainly about Nuhiu.  But I am in agreement with some of his comments on Jones.

On 13/09/2017 at 10:05, Ian said:

took an age to get the ball in the right position in relation to their feet in order to be able to kick it....Jones brings back those memories every time I see him 

I find, like Ian, that he has a tendency to pass it slightly behind the stride of the team mate.  Not his fault really, as he's knock-kneed and the ball sometimes gets caught up between his feet meaning the pass doesn't come out with the angle he probably wishes for, or the power as he's having to dig it out from under him.

I wish he'd take a bigger first touch out of his feet on receiving the ball to counter this.. But these are small technical details.

Over all I thought he did ok and will always get 10/10 marks from me for his application and effort.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate the work Jones does for the team though.

I think where he is underrated is in that his best work is actually done off the ball.

Has very good positional awareness in being in the right place to pick up interceptions and he does have the intelligence to know what ground to hold so others can attack.

His head never stops swivelling around looking for where the danger is, as I'm sure you have picked up on.  He cuts out passing angles. One of the most boring jobs in football. But he does it and does it well.  

He's proved a good addition to the squad. And though he plays the role completely differently to Hutchinson I really don't know who else people would suggest we had put in there in Hutchinson absence.  Look how playing a deeper role caged Bannans instincts last season.  

Edited by Lord Snooty

10 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Very rarely, he usually just back peddles until he is standing on the central defenders toes

Pretty much because he very rarely tries anything progressive...........its hard to mess up staying in one part of the pitch and passing it 10 yards.

As i said previously we have had worse midfielders but the love in baffles me...............just my opinion.

I know what your saying, but that kind of player is pretty important to how the manager wants to play.  Looking back we had Lopez, and hutch adapted to the role. 

Problem with hutch is he's a defender at heart and he probably plays a few years further back than jones, which can really effect how you attack. Hutch all too often is found in the middle of the centre backs, you don't see jones dong that often. 10 +!yards ahead keeping it ticking over. 

There are obviously better players at doing this out there, but he's the best we have At the monentb

5 minutes ago, tuttuttut said:

With jones in the team it gives Bannan and Lee the chance to play their game knowing he will be sat in the centre covering the midfield. 

They know he's there, he goes unnoticed and plays his game while protecting the back 4 and giving the midfield confidence to attack. 

Exactly people don't notice the boring work he gets through as Lord Snooty has  rightly pointed out in his post.

Shouldn't really be compared to Hutch as two completely different styles of play. Hutch can drive the team forward, shows enormous commitment but can be reckless.

Jones prefers ball retention, would intercept a opposition pass than make a tackle and therefore keeps out of the referees notebook.

Bannon and Lee look comfortable with Jones behind them so midfield looks quite balanced.

Think the world of Hutch, his career has been inspirational to any young player who suffers a career threatening injury and I'm sure he can still make a massive contribution to the squad.

On 12/09/2017 at 22:48, TrickyTrev said:

The idiot behind me on the North stand did nothing but slag him off the entire match, I honestly think he was watching a different game!!

I've moved to the South stand because some in North were driving me mad. Totally blinkered and not very knowledgeable. 

He's flipping bobbar...

In this team.

This team that is so one dimensional and is severely lacking in pace and directness.

At Burnley they were spearheaded by Andre Gray and had pace down the wings as well. And when you have that as an outlet you tend not to notice the bumbling buffoon who can't control, sort the ball out between his feet or pass to a player with forward momentum.

But in this team he just looks what he is...

bobbar.

22 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Very poor today glad Hutchinson is fit

Hutch's last seven games for us, where he played at least 45 minutes.

1-2

0-1

1-1

0-0

1-2

0-1

1-2

Five defeats and two draws.

Hutch, as a CM, is not the answer.

just watch their first goal to see how ineffectual he is in this team - he may be able to pass and move five yards but without a combative midfielder next to him he's dreadfully exposed.

He can't start with Bannan i'm afraid - yes one of them but not two - we're so slow, predictable and weak when both are playing. Add Lee's disappearing act every other game and Wallace's telegram game and it's like our midfield has boarded the mary celeste to retire.

1 minute ago, Animis said:

just watch their first goal to see how ineffectual he is in this team - he may be able to pass and move five yards but without a combative midfielder next to him he's dreadfully exposed.

He can't start with Bannan i'm afraid - yes one of them but not two - we're so slow, predictable and weak when both are playing. Add Lee's disappearing act every other game and Wallace's telegram game and it's like our midfield has boarded the mary celeste to retire.

Bannan EVERY time then. 

Highlights look shocking for Hutch today.

the 30 seconds from 0.59 onwards are basically a Hutch horror show. Smashes the ball in the net for them and gifts what should have been another two goals.

Gets benefit of the doubt though being first game back in ages.