Forestieri to Fulham 12m

@scram If the club would upload the damn replay we (iFollow subscribers) are paying for I could screencap a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Bannan is a tidy player, but because Carlos won't drop him so our attacker suffer from lack of ball-to-feet service the need to score 2-3 a game. If Carlos drops Jones but leaves on Bannan, Bannan is too small and weak to play the true holding role and our midfield gets overrun by bigger players.

11 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Fair point well have to wait and see, looking at our play (been to three games) we look poor overall and I'm not confident we can absorbe his loss and prosper - as you can see I'm a big FF fan but fully recognise his being here is now problematic with many fans. Don't know about players and don't think anybody else does tbh although they will post this to be a 'fact'.

I think he's the best we've had since the two Italians when he's on it. But something isn't right, whether it's completely his fault who knows, I think dropping him has served to soften the blow for a sale. 

I'd be gutted to see him sign for another club, but if for the first time in history we got an inflated fee for a player well it's the way of things, even for the biggest clubs.

The deciding factor on whether it's a good deal is who we replace him with. 

Edited by Bluesteel

52 minutes ago, scram said:

Carlos doesn't seem to be able to fit a lot of good players into the side

If he isn't in charge of recruitment then he wants to tell those who are which formation he plays and the type of players he needs to make it work

Common sense post. 

45 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

I fully agree with your view of "reality" to a large extent yes he's behind Hooper and Fletcher but I can't accept he's behind Rhodes were it not for a scuffed goal and a good header against a reserve Bolton team I suspect you wouldn't have included him in that sentence either his form is worse the FFs.

However I believe a good manager (and I've fully been behind Carlos so far (probably blind faith or warped loyalty) would find a way to play better than a rigid 442 and include Nando in behind the strikers he's certainly good enough on all counts.

As for his not doing it stints I for one think the abuse he's had on social media, on OT, and as regards the shameful sky post (and I recognise he brought much of this on him) and the way Carlos has recently hung him out to dry means his confidence and bounce have literally been beaten out of him.

Not many would put up with the crap he's been served with and remained upbeat don't you think.

Not me picking Rhodes ahead of Forestieri, but Carlos. 

That said, if we got Rhodes firing, he'd be far more lethal than Forestieri - its a wednesday quirk that we finally land the striker we've all been wanting to sign, and hes struggling to score..

As for FF - pretty much everyone thinks his best postion is out left - Owlstalk, sky pundits, Carlos - everyone except fernando, apparently.

With regards the "hanging him out to dry" bit - i dont buy that either. McGugan is sat in the stands because he wont do what hes told, cant have one rule for one and another rule for Fernando. If FF has genuinely told Carlos he doesnt want to play out left, and if hes started being a petulant 5h1t in training, i dont blame Carlos for outing the truth. But id say Carlos has actually done more to downplay the whole thing. Theres no way hes sitting a game changer on the bench when we are not firing, for any reason other than poor discipline or attitude. 

We cant replace him, but if we could sign the three extra players we need with the funds, we have enough in the squad to get promoted without him. Carlos just needs to make the parts fit, which is another story altogether..

5 minutes ago, mogbad said:

I don't like Carlos's current tactics & certainly his use of players needs to be questioned. Ultimately I believe it will cost him his job.

However in 4 seasons at Watford FF scored 20 goals from 80 appearances. In his 2 seasons with us he's scored 27 goals from 68 appearances, so you could argue that Carlos has utilised him better than any of his previous managers.

But Watford as a club hugely prospered

Maybe they left him behind

Cherry-picking stats doesn't really tell the story does it?

Watford did leave him behind and we certainly benefitted from that and I would hate to see him go on to prosper for a potential rival for promotion but it seems to me that minds have been made up already on both sides.

Some players become trusted stalwarts and others are in a way one season wonders who aren't quite good enough to be brilliant all the time yet want treatment based on that they are.  They themselves stagnate and become distant or distracted.

His antics with the pushbike, the turned out pockets all fimed and lapped up by his unknowing fans on social media showed his selfishness and unprofessionalism and although he got 12 last year he wasn't the same.

The priority is to be smart in replacing him and we are crying out right now for a wide player with pure pace, someone young, exciting and who will run at and scare our opponents whilst getting us lot excited.

We should also remember that FF has had his card marked by the refereeing community and this has and may continue to hamper his impact on games for whoever he goes to.

After writing all that it's probably as simple as his missus wantiing to move with the little un to West London and I can't really blame her for that either.

28 minutes ago, canadianowl said:

It's not replicating what Bannan gives us, it's that Bannan is undroppable. So unless he's at his best (which he isn't half the time) then he can be a detriment to Jones who is good enough to hold the ball and support the defensive line when needed. Jones/Hutch + Bannan rarely works, but Jones/Hutch + Lee/Abdi/Suitable replacement can be a better help for our forward line who doesn't get enough ball-to-feet service to score enough.

I'm not saying Bannan is poo and needs to be sold, I'm saying if the right offer comes along he is replaceable and it could benefit the team over the long haul.

It think Jones ,Hutch and Bannan rarely works because it usually means Bannan being shunted out wide.  

Luckily Bannan has been at his best this season so far and been head and shoulders above all our other players in all but the Burton game (where he was a second only to Hooper). 

I think he and Jones have worked quite well as a pair and Jones had allowed Bannan to crack on and work in his best areas 

I agree he wasn't at his best last season when he was played 20 yards deeper in a completley different role to that, (which I could never understand why he was asked to play)  that he played in his first season,  or indeed what he has so far played this season. 

I'm sure another attacking midfield player might help service our forward line. I do think midfield is out biggest headache in terms of balance. 

Agree with your last paragraph wholeheartedly. Any player should be sold for the right price if it benefits the team as a whole.

Like £12m for a volatile (curtently) substitute striker with an agitating agent for example. 

6 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

His antics with the pushbike, the turned out pockets all fimed and lapped up by his unknowing fans on social media showed his selfishness and unprofessionalism and although he got 12 last year he wasn't the same.

I think there was more to his antics with the pushbike etc than meets the eye

And that isa side of football fans of clubs like ours need to get very well acquainted with if we're going to be a bigger player than we currently are in the grand scheme of things

He would prob thrive in a 433 or behind front 2 in an attacking side like fulham, but will never fulfill his potential in a defensive flat 442 with mainly slow players around him.

So would sell for 12m+, we could acquire several comparable players to abdi, reach, winnall, matias n joao for that lol

Someone like wagner would likely make that kind of money pay but not confident we would going by recent history.

If he wants off get rid tho, maybe we'll get lucky with a cm and flair player/winger (who would be on bench) despite being late in window, we are due some telling signings.

By not getting the best out of key/flair players who can do more than just run around and maybe selling them instead, cc will inevitably fail tho, especially if they're replaced with more players who can just run alot and likely not very quickly lol

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

It's hilarious that we have owlstalkers who genuinely think that if we can somehow manage to screw Fulham for 12m they know of 2 better players we can spend the money on

Fknell

My opinion is, knowing FFP is hampering our efforts to bring players in ,  Fessi is a luxury we can afford to sacrifice in order to strengthen other areas where we dont have the quality we have up front. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It think Jones ,Hutch and Bannan rarely works because it usually means Bannan being shunted out wide.  

Luckily Bannan has been at his best this season so far and been head and shoulders above all our other players in all but the Burton game (where he was a second only to Hooper). 

I think he and Jones have worked quite well as a pair and Jones had allowed Bannan to crack on and work in his best areas 

I agree he wasn't at his best last season when he was played 20 yards deeper in a completley different role to that, (which I could never understand why he was asked to play)  that he played in his first season,  or indeed what he has so far played this season. 

I'm sure another attacking midfield player might help service our forward line. I do think midfield is out biggest headache in terms of balance. 

Agree with your last paragraph wholeheartedly. Any player should be sold for the right price if it benefits the team as a whole.

Like £12m for a volatile (curtently) substitute striker with an agitating agent for example. 

Bannan can do a decent job out wide. The problem is that he doesnt bring goals, he doesnt beat a man, hes not the best defensive midfielder we have. What he does bring, is a killer pass, and the ability to get the team rhythm going - if hes firing, generally so are we.

His problem has been movement - Fletcher, rhodes and Forestieri have offered very little in the way of movement for him to pick a pass to - its no coincidence that his return to form is coinciding with Hooper returning to fitness.

3 minutes ago, scram said:

I think there was more to his antics with the pushbike etc than meets the eye

And that isa side of football fans of clubs like ours need to get very well acquainted with if we're going to be a bigger player than we currently are in the grand scheme of things

I agree totally.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

His problem has been movement - Fletcher, rhodes and Forestieri have offered very little in the way of movement for him to pick a pass to - its no coincidence that his return to form is coinciding with Hooper returning to fitness.

I think that is why I was so impressed with Fletcher when he came on in the Sunderland game. I know you want your strikers in the box. Bit his willingness to come on and work the channel really was pivotal to thst cowboy wasn't it. Stretched their defence wide open. 

Don't know if he did that off his own bat ( I'm going to lean towards the manager asking him to:ph34r:) .

But as a rule our forward,  nearly all of them like to come shirt and have it to feet. We don't really have those players who'll spin into a channel.  (Ironically perhaps FF!) 

I don't rate that Sordell who played for Burton , as such,  but someone with a yard in their legs spinning in behind a full back really does highlight that we don't do it much, or really have the type doesn't it.

Somebody nailed it earlier today when the players have decided he is not the one you want at the side of you when you go into battle . 

Thing is if his team mates are happier with him out of the side there is no coming back . 

The harsh reality is that clubs like us without parachute payments, who have a heavy wage bill, and want to continue to strengthen all areas, have to sell a player every now and then to balance the books. 

We can't just go skipping into the future with our fingers in our ears pretending it will sort itself out. 

And here we find ourselves with a player although very talented, is temperamental to put it mildly, has caused trouble, has gone AWOL, has had fall outs with team mates, who has had injury problems, and who hasn't even been in the team of late.....yet someone is STILL willing to give us £12m+ for him.

For me it's an absolute no-brainer.

1 minute ago, Saxondale said:

The harsh reality is that clubs like us without parachute payments, who have a heavy wage bill, and want to continue to strengthen all areas, have to sell a player every now and then to balance the books. 

We can't just go skipping into the future with our fingers in our ears pretending it will sort itself out. 

And here we find ourselves with a player although very talented, is temperamental to put it mildly, has caused trouble, has gone AWOL, has had fall outs with team mates, who has had injury problems, and who hasn't even been in the team of late.....yet someone is STILL willing to give us £12m+ for him.

For me it's an absolute no-brainer.

But have they really offered 12 million, I doubt it, more likely something staggered, I think 12 up front DC would deal.