Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

18 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Thing is...we spent (allegedly) 8-9 million on a striker in January. 

None of our rivals are going to sell their players on the cheap anyway; even more so when they are aware of how much we've been willing to spend in the past. 

Generally speaking we've brought in players from the likes of Watford, Burnley etc who have been looking to move these players on. That's not to say they are bad players (far from it), but you don't snap up a player like Nando for 3 or so million if Watford are desperate to keep hold. Hooper is another one. Very good player, but Norwich were looking to get rid. 

Yep, Rhodes wasn't wanted either and we got him for cheaper than we would have previously. we also look at players in their final year to reduce the price and/or offer older players longer deals to turn their head. Generally speaking it's a good way of reducing prices but if we do too much of the latter we could be stuck with a fair few on big wages.

Edited by Bluesteel

10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I have only seen him against us and a few games on the box but to me he is different to Bannan

He does the things I would like to see Bannan do. He can tackle and also picks up a lot of loose balls. 

Doesn't go for the "worldy" pass all the time but moves it quickly and simple but forward.

Also quick over the ground.

Can't argue with that I suppose. Definitely a lot of similarities though. Both diminutive midfielders who like to get on the ball as often as possible, usually in deep areas.

You could possibly argue he's a better version of Bannan in terms of playing that deep role. Safer with the ball and can put a foot in. 

Would prefer someone with a bit more steel and presence personally. To compete with/cover for Hutch.

I haven't seen enough of Woods to make proper comments on what he does and doesn't do

But for all those saying he's "like Bannan but more willing to put a tackle in", can you explain to me why Woods averaged 1.5 tackles per 90 minutes last season whilst Bannan (who I often berate for not being good in the tackle) averaged 1.6? As far as I'm concerned, they're as willing to put in a tackle as each other... so as someone that hasn't seen Woods, what about his game makes him more adept at winning the ball back than Bannan if he doesn't win tackles more frequently? (For complete fairness, he has like 50% higher interceptions, which is only a good thing!)

This isn't me knocking him, I'm just trying to figure out how y'all can say he's better in the tackle than Bannan when it seems he's equally adept (inept?) as Baz at tackling. I know stats don't tell the whole story so give me the scoop, what am I missing?

I'd be amazed and ecstatic if we brought in a quality ball playing centre back like Dean or Bartley and a energetic deep playmaker with energy and dynamism like Woods or Osborn or Irvine. Those are the types of signings we need to make to realistically break into the top 2. My whelm meter would explode from excitement and anticipation. :stuwinky::goalie::ghoulguy:

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I haven't seen enough of Woods to make proper comments on what he does and doesn't do

But for all those saying he's "like Bannan but more willing to put a tackle in", can you explain to me why Woods averaged 1.5 tackles per 90 minutes last season whilst Bannan (who I often berate for not being good in the tackle) averaged 1.6? As far as I'm concerned, they're as willing to put in a tackle as each other... so as someone that hasn't seen Woods, what about his game makes him more adept at winning the ball back than Bannan if he doesn't win tackles more frequently? (For complete fairness, he has like 50% higher interceptions, which is only a good thing!)

This isn't me knocking him, I'm just trying to figure out how y'all can say he's better in the tackle than Bannan when it seems he's equally adept (inept?) as Baz at tackling. I know stats don't tell the whole story so give me the scoop, what am I missing?

Bannan has to make more tackles? 

From the times I've seen Woods, he seemed far more willing to get stuck in than Bannan.

6 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Ryan Woods would be a top signing.

who is he?

Along with Jota and Dean, he's one of Brentford's stand out players. And in terms of the Championship he's one of the stand out young deep dynamic playmakers in the League, along with the likes of Ben Osborn. For me Woods and Dean, would represent a statement of intent and they would be top 2 level signings. Like the likes of Bartley or Osborn, they're a good age, quality at this level and capable of playing at a higher level.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

It's all quiet on the Wednesday front.

I'm slightly concerned we're going to be slow starters again. We still have the same recruitment needs we had this time last season.

With less than two weeks to go until kick off it will be very difficult for anyone to fit straight in to the team now. That's the negatives out of the way.

On a positive note we have a settled squad and Carlos says we will approach games with a more attacking mentality which was in my opinion our biggest downfall last season.

With a fit squad we can wait for any necessary and or exciting new additions to settle in around the end of August.

Come on Carlos, third time lucky and all that but let's scare the living poo out of the opposition from game one.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

It'd be heavenly... just can't see it happening though!

Not sure Ryan Woods would help us not be dominated in midfield... he's full of energy but lacks physical presence and he really doesn't do that much tackling. 

But if we're looking to get the vibe of two seasons ago in, with the midfield more focussed on buzzing around than a solid defensive shape, he'd be ideal I guess? 

If we are looking to get the vibe then Brentford actually is the place we should be looking with that one.

lol

15 minutes ago, OutspokenTom said:

It's all quiet on the Wednesday front.

I'm slightly concerned we're going to be slow starters again. We still have the same recruitment needs we had this time last season.

With less than two weeks to go until kick off it will be very difficult for anyone to fit straight in to the team now. That's the negatives out of the way.

On a positive note we have a settled squad and Carlos says we will approach games with a more attacking mentality which was in my opinion our biggest downfall last season.

With a fit squad we can wait for any necessary and or exciting new additions to settle in around the end of August.

Come on Carlos, third time lucky and all that but let's scare the living poo out of the opposition from game one.

I agree with most of that. I think it's an advantage that we don't need to make many changes unlike lots of other teams. We've built a solid top 6 squad and a couple of quality signings could realistically turn us into a top 2 level side. Boyd was a cracking free signing, and hopefully if we can get a quality ball playing centre back and some more energy or dynamism in midfield, I could see us becoming more dominant and giving top 2 a good go this time. I can see us replicating Brighton last season, as long as we don't make too many changes and hit the ground running, and show more attacking intent.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

Article in the paper quotes CC as saying players expensive, sticking to FFP etc. Things we already knew. However he says we had been given the green light by a club to sign a player on Friday but the player didn't want to play in the championship. Annoying. 

14 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Article in the paper quotes CC as saying players expensive, sticking to FFP etc. Things we already knew. However he says we had been given the green light by a club to sign a player on Friday but the player didn't want to play in the championship. Annoying. 

I have just read that article and it is the most clear indication yet, as many have believed, that Carlos is not really responsible for the transfer or selection of players. One thing I find intriguing is Chansiri sometimes doesn't even discuss offers made for players with Carlos and seems to decide himself whether a player is sold or not. I have deep reservations about that kind of set up. I can see ways that it could potentially cause rifts between the players and the management. Carlos should at least be made aware of these things in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I have just read that article and it is the most clear indication yet, as many have believed, that Carlos is not really responsible for the transfer or selection of players. One thing I find intriguing is Chansiri sometimes doesn't even discuss offers made for players with Carlos and seems to decide himself whether a player is sold or not. I have deep reservations about that kind of set up. I can see ways that it could potentially cause rifts between the players and the management. Carlos should at least be made aware of these things in my opinion.

The article actually says: 

Carvalhal said: “If the chairman wants to sell, he will of course talk to me. But if he has an offer and doesn’t want to sell, he will probably not talk to me about that because it is not necessary'.

Thus Carlos is made aware of the situation.

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-chief-defends-lack-of-signings-1-8667337

1 minute ago, Beauchief Owl said:

The article actually says: 

Carvalhal said: “If the chairman wants to sell, he will of course talk to me. But if he has an offer and doesn’t want to sell, he will probably not talk to me about that because it is not necessary'.

Thus Carlos is made aware of the situation.

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-chief-defends-lack-of-signings-1-8667337

I think Carlos should be kept in the loop regardless. They can mutually agree not to sell. I have no problem with that but I do feel that Carlos should be told anyway. Players' agents will probably be aware that offers have been made and will pass that information onto the player in question. It is worrying for me that Carlos in his role as Head Coach may not know.