Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

6 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Grant Hanley.. at a guess.. 

Yep, because sitting on the bench (if your lucky) for your Prem club is way better for your international career than playing every game for a top Championship side....if true what's wrong with these players.

Edited by Morepork

49 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I have just read that article and it is the most clear indication yet, as many have believed, that Carlos is not really responsible for the transfer or selection of players. One thing I find intriguing is Chansiri sometimes doesn't even discuss offers made for players with Carlos and seems to decide himself whether a player is sold or not. I have deep reservations about that kind of set up. I can see ways that it could potentially cause rifts between the players and the management. Carlos should at least be made aware of these things in my opinion.

He says something to that effect every pre-season. Wouldn't worry too much. 

2 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Yep, because sitting on the bench for your Prem club is way better for your international career than playing every game for a top Championship side....if true what's wrong with these players.

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££'s for sitting on their aR$Es

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Yep, because sitting on the bench for your Prem club is way better for your international career than playing every game for a top Championship side....if true what's wrong with these players.

Too much money got f-ck all, mercenaries that's what they are and sometimes you can't blame for it either 

5 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££'s for sitting on their aR$Es

It can only be that because there is roger all merit to the argument that not playing at all is better for your international chances!! Lucky escape.

Edited by Morepork

18 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Yep, because sitting on the bench (if your lucky) for your Prem club is way better for your international career than playing every game for a top Championship side....if true what's wrong with these players.

Playing devil's advocate, it could be that whoever this player was firmly believes they're good enough to play in the Premier League, and they'd rather remain at their current club, train hard, wait for first team injuries and try and force their way into the reckoning and becoming a first team regular rather than dropping down a league. Which would be a pretty understandable and if anything noble stance to take

Not that I think that's the likely reasoning behind it... 

16 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Grant Hanley.. at a guess.. 

Surely it wouldn't be Grant Hanley, he's spent most of his career in the championship and knows he's not going to play much for Newcastle. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Playing devil's advocate, it could be that whoever this player was firmly believes they're good enough to play in the Premier League, and they'd rather remain at their current club, train hard, wait for first team injuries and try and force their way into the reckoning and becoming a first team regular rather than dropping down a league. Which would be a pretty understandable and if anything noble stance to take

Your quite right of course, but it's much more satisfying to be judge and jury!! lol

11 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Who says it was a Premiership defender, could well have been that Zungu, maybe he wants a Prem move and not a championship club. Could be anyone to be honest. 

Zungu plays in midfield, so unlikely he'd be the international defender

EDIT: And this is why I should read the article, because at no point does it say he's a defender :biggrin:

Still, considering Zungu's love for us on twitter, going to say it's unlikely it was him!

Edited by StudentOwl

Not Hanley as he's got no chance of progressing his international career in Newcastle's junior squad, and no EPL club will touch him.

But maybe why we have apparently turned to Dean, but so much smoke and mirrors it's difficult.

Clearly, we are trying to drive down prices , wages with FFP talk (£39 million loss over 3 years - no where near).

Still think Hanley's the big one, though. 

If it was Hanley then it does suggest there is still a fair bit of cash available for transfers. Of course it may be a stance engineered to get more money for the player. Curious this deal nearly took place last Friday when we were in Portugal, just possible the player in question was not British.

19 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

If it's Hanley I believe he's been involved in the last 2 or 3 pre season friendlies Newcastle have played so there may be some truth in your reasoning.

However according to reports we lost out to Newcastle for Hanley's signature last summer because Newcastle offered him the better deal. Despite the fact he hardly got a kick for them in the Championship he's probably just got a decent pay rise for being promoted to the Premier. The cynic in me suggests that financial concerns will be a major driver in his decision to stay where he is.

I suppose it all comes down to whether you want to gamble when it comes down to FFP and it's pretty obvious that the club don't want to.

That said with regards to slow starts whether we bring in players before next Saturday or not, we start the season with a stronger squad than what we've had at any time since we returned to the championship in 2012, so we're in a better position to have a faster start this time.

Edited by Great Big Galaa