Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Not sure we can complain about what other clubs spend given the fees and wages we've paid out over the past 2 seasons to be honest!

The club have repeatedly said that we're trying to comply with FFP, which makes sense given the restrictions we'd face otherwise. We've spent big compared to our recent history, but not massively so in the context of what some other Championship clubs have been spending in recent years.

A couple of clubs seem to be paying little attention to FFP, but that's their prerogative - it could pay off, or it could blow up in their faces. 

I'd rather stick to our gradual build approach.

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The club have repeatedly said that we're trying to comply with FFP, which makes sense given the restrictions we'd face otherwise. We've spent big compared to our recent history, but not massively so in the context of what some other Championship clubs have been spending in recent years.

A couple of clubs seem to be paying little attention to FFP, but that's their prerogative - it could pay off, or it could blow up in their faces. 

It's a massive gamble to disregard ffp.

I wonder which clubs are doing it?

Obviously villa will be one. Maybe Wolves as well. 

47 minutes ago, KernowOwl said:

All I wanted from this transfer window was a top CB, someone who knows how to deal with free kicks and corners. It seems last season we were solid at the back but our biggest weakness was conceding goals from free kicks and corners. 

If the club is worried about FFP why pay out 10m for Rhodes when we had fletcher, hooper, FF and winnall. That money coulda been used on our weaknesses. 

Then again, if Rhodes bangs in 20+ goals then forget everything I said. 

The entire Owlstalk archive in one sentence

lol

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's what I mean, I'll be surprised if we ourselves are within the FFP constraints without some clever accounting/interesting sponsorship payments.

Having equaled our transfer record twice (Forestieri and Hooper - £3m a piece) in 2015/16, we then broke our transfer record 3 times in 2016/17 (Abdi, Reach, and Rhodes - £4m, £5m, and £10m respectively).

Add to that we've paid substantial fees for Matias, Joao, Jones, Hunt and Pudil. We are paying out huge salaries - Forestieri, Abdi, Lees, Westwood, Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Bannan, Boyd, and Winnall - off the top of my head - are probably on £25k a week minimum.

We've even bought highly paid players in just to sit in the South Stand - McManaman. Urby, and Buckley to name a few recent ones.

We are looking at strengthening the team further at the minute - apparently agreed a fee with a player only last week, who didn't want to come to the Championship. Seemingly genuine interest in Hutton for a fee and a high salary, reports of a £3m bid rejected for the Cardiff captain, Hanley rumours that won't go away, etc.

I'd be gobsmacked if we are legitimately within FFP constraints!

*Transfer record based on cash only and fees based on media reports.

15 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

On paper that sounds a very good exciting signing. Possibly a little envious of that one. Playing 27 times for a team as big as Porto last season and scoring 8 goals is impressive. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

6 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

That's what I mean, I'll be surprised if we ourselves are within the FFP constraints without some clever accounting/interesting sponsorship payments.

Having equaled our transfer record twice (Forestieri and Hooper - £3m a piece) in 2015/16, we then broke our transfer record 3 times in 2016/17 (Abdi, Reach, and Rhodes - £4m, £5m, and £10m respectively).

Add to that we've paid substantial fees for Matias, Joao, Jones, Hunt and Pudil. We are paying out huge salaries - Forestieri, Abdi, Lees, Westwood, Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Bannan, Boyd, and Winnall - off the top of my head - are probably on £25k a week minimum.

We've even bought highly paid players in just to sit in the South Stand - McManaman. Urby, and Buckley to name a few recent ones.

We are looking at strengthening the team further at the minute - apparently agreed a fee with a player only last week, who didn't want to come to the Championship. Seemingly genuine interest in Hutton for a fee and a high salary, reports of a £3m bid rejected for the Cardiff captain, Hanley rumours that won't go away, etc.

I suppose we just have to trust that the chairman knows what he's doing. He's repeatedly said that we're operating within FFP, so I assume he has a plan. Permissible losses of £39m over a three year period hopefully gives us some  wriggle room.

27 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

What I fail to understand is why this monumental signing has been announced via a "my first gifset" presentation like the sort your technologically challenged grandparents would make to show off their latest snaps of a caravan holiday in Blackpool

11 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Our transfer policy has been misguided, to say the least Thirty odd players brought in two seasons, and still we're looking for 3 or 4 We've wasted so much money bulking out a squad, and now we're struggling to bring in the quality we still need Now we have to use the loan market, instead of bringing players who aren't much better than what we have, purely because they are the ones we can afford to buy

20 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

What you have to remember is that these fees aren't just spread over the 2/3 years, but rather the length of the contract. For instance, say Rhodes was £9m and he signed a 3 year contract, then in terms of transfer outlay that's "only" £3m a season. Fees won't be the issue here, wages will be the biggest hit on our FFP record. Eg, Fletcher, Winnall, Hooper and Rhodes will be on a combined total of £100k... over 52 weeks that's £5million+ a season on four players alone! Or in other words, 10,000 season tickets at £500 a pop. 

24 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I agree that I believe this years accounts will show we have spent far more than most suspect.

However for the purposes of FFP, it is important to note that the cost of the player is spread over the length of the contract.

Therefore, if you spend £10m on a player and give him a 5 year contract, you split the £10m to £2m over 5 years.

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I agree that I believe this years accounts will show we have spent far more than most suspect.

However for the purposes of FFP, it is important to note that the cost of the player is spread over the length of the contract.

Therefore, if you spend £10m on a player and give him a 5 year contract, you split the £10m to £2m over 5 years.

Not nesecerally depends what is agreed by the clubs. Boro might have wanted 2 5 million payments over two years say.

Loyalty bonuses are spread over the length of a players contract.

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Our transfer policy has been misguided, to say the least Thirty odd players brought in two seasons, and still we're looking for 3 or 4 We've wasted so much money bulking out a squad, and now we're struggling to bring in the quality we still need Now we have to use the loan market, instead of bringing players who aren't much better than what we have, purely because they are the ones we can afford to buy

If we were now in the prem then this recruitment policy wouldn't be being criticised as much as it currently is, which is fair enough but as I see it we've floundered at this level for most of the thirteen seasons we've competed in it since 2000. Alas the last two seasons have seen 6th and 4th place finishes. Granted the manner of the play-off failures will get chucked into the argument but we've been nowhere near where we currently are for donkey's years. The recruitment and Carlos' coaching/management surely hasn't been as bad as some on here perceive it to be for us to be in the place we are currently are?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Unfortunately i think the fact Semedo is being talked about as coming back says it all about how our recruitment is going. Love the bloke but he really isnt what we need. Lets get a couple of signings wrapped up asap and from the very first game of the season start as we mean to go on.

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Unfortunately i think the fact Semedo is being talked about as coming back says it all about how our recruitment is going. Love the bloke but he really isnt what we need. Lets get a couple of signings wrapped up asap and from the very first game of the season start as we mean to go on.

We don;t even know in what respect hes being talked to about coming back, could be player coach so he can actually coach while doing his badges, and as a back back back backup

55 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I suppose we just have to trust that the chairman knows what he's doing. He's repeatedly said that we're operating within FFP, so I assume he has a plan. Permissible losses of £39m over a three year period hopefully gives us some  wriggle room.

Very true, and I think we go back to come clever accounting/interesting sponsorship or income to make sure we fall within the parameters.

When you think about fees alone, we've spent probably £30m in the past two seasons and sold no-one of any worth - that's £30m losses just there (assuming transfer fees are actual losses - could they be off-set against being classed as assets - I'm no accountant!).