Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Reading Carlos comments I have no concerns about our transfer policy. It looks a perfectly sensible and collaborative system.

What is seriously disturbing is the message about clubs simply cheating the system by ignoring FFP in the gamble to get promoted. Fans often comment on it but you don't usually see such a frank admission from within the game.

The main message I take from the article is that we are being cheated out of a fair run at promotion by these clubs. We will have to perform beyond the maximum permitted spending level because we are sticking to the rules.

Obviously the game's lawmakers also  know what's going on and they need to come up with a way to apply the ultimate sanction and deny promotion to non compliant clubs. Not easy to do by any means but otherwise they should just drop the rules altogether.

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

I have just read that article and it is the most clear indication yet, as many have believed, that Carlos is not really responsible for the transfer or selection of players. One thing I find intriguing is Chansiri sometimes doesn't even discuss offers made for players with Carlos and seems to decide himself whether a player is sold or not. I have deep reservations about that kind of set up. I can see ways that it could potentially cause rifts between the players and the management. Carlos should at least be made aware of these things in my opinion.

where does this come from? 

On sales, Carlos must be just deflecting journos questions.

Who wants to spend all morning talking about offers for Lees or Westwood, etc.

If you look his first ever description of recruitment process , however, seems he is now fully in charge of this.

In The Star, seems to be saying last season's buys were not down to me and this year it is so will be better. But you gotta wait. 

22 minutes ago, mogbad said:

If it's Hanley I believe he's been involved in the last 2 or 3 pre season friendlies Newcastle have played so there may be some truth in your reasoning.

However according to reports we lost out to Newcastle for Hanley's signature last summer because Newcastle offered him the better deal. Despite the fact he hardly got a kick for them in the Championship he's probably just got a decent pay rise for being promoted to the Premier. The cynic in me suggests that financial concerns will be a major driver in his decision to stay where he is.

Take a moment to consider Harry Maguire...it looked like he was just picking up a wage then all of a sudden he is Hulls best player and Captain...Maybe Hanley wants to think that could be him.

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Article in the paper quotes CC as saying players expensive, sticking to FFP etc. Things we already knew. However he says we had been given the green light by a club to sign a player on Friday but the player didn't want to play in the championship. Annoying. 

Snodgrass 100%

Marcus Maddison is the latest name to be linked with a move to Birmingham City.

The Peterborough United attacker is currently transfer listed as he enters the final year of his contract - something that is club policy.

Maddison scored nine goals last season and has made over 100 league appearances for Posh since arriving from Gateshead in 2014.

Considered one of the most talented players in League One, the winger is also said to be interesting Fulham.

59 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Zungu plays in midfield, so unlikely he'd be the international defender

EDIT: And this is why I should read the article, because at no point does it say he's a defender :biggrin:

Still, considering Zungu's love for us on twitter, going to say it's unlikely it was him!

Ha ha I had to read the article a couple of times before I posted to make sure it didn't say defender. Maybe it was Snodgrass :-)

Wolverhampton Wanderers have seen an offer for Swansea City defender Stephen Kingsley knocked back, according to the Telegraph.

The 23-year-old made 15 appearances for the Swans last season, his first real run in the first-team since arriving from Falkirk in 2014.

Having had loan spells with Yeovil and Crewe Alexandra, highly-rated Kingsley was handed in a run in the side by Francesco Guidolin and impressed.

All I wanted from this transfer window was a top CB, someone who knows how to deal with free kicks and corners. It seems last season we were solid at the back but our biggest weakness was conceding goals from free kicks and corners. 

If the club is worried about FFP why pay out 10m for Rhodes when we had fletcher, hooper, FF and winnall. That money coulda been used on our weaknesses. 

Then again, if Rhodes bangs in 20+ goals then forget everything I said. 

1 hour ago, Magic Rat said:

Reading Carlos comments I have no concerns about our transfer policy. It looks a perfectly sensible and collaborative system.

What is seriously disturbing is the message about clubs simply cheating the system by ignoring FFP in the gamble to get promoted. Fans often comment on it but you don't usually see such a frank admission from within the game.

The main message I take from the article is that we are being cheated out of a fair run at promotion by these clubs. We will have to perform beyond the maximum permitted spending level because we are sticking to the rules.

Obviously the game's lawmakers also  know what's going on and they need to come up with a way to apply the ultimate sanction and deny promotion to non compliant clubs. Not easy to do by any means but otherwise they should just drop the rules altogether.

Not sure we can complain about what other clubs spend given the fees and wages we've paid out over the past 2 seasons to be honest!

1 hour ago, Magic Rat said:

The problem with the system (well one of many) is that an assessment against FFP is made after the event. It's made from the published financial results, i.e. 18 months late. Add to that the new three year rolling cycle criterion and teams like Wolves will be thinking that they have three or four years where they can throw mega millions at it without a thought to FFP. If after this time they are promoted, there is no comeback for the FL (see QPR). If they aren't promoted, maybe a fire sale (they are supposedly buying quality players) will bring them back in line to start again.

3 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

I have just read that article and it is the most clear indication yet, as many have believed, that Carlos is not really responsible for the transfer or selection of players. One thing I find intriguing is Chansiri sometimes doesn't even discuss offers made for players with Carlos and seems to decide himself whether a player is sold or not. I have deep reservations about that kind of set up. I can see ways that it could potentially cause rifts between the players and the management. Carlos should at least be made aware of these things in my opinion.

Really? So you didn't read the but where he talks about the scouting process?

25 minutes ago, KernowOwl said:

All I wanted from this transfer window was a top CB, someone who knows how to deal with free kicks and corners. It seems last season we were solid at the back but our biggest weakness was conceding goals from free kicks and corners. 

If the club is worried about FFP why pay out 10m for Rhodes when we had fletcher, hooper, FF and winnall. That money coulda been used on our weaknesses. 

Then again, if Rhodes bangs in 20+ goals then forget everything I said. 

Agreed with this.

Whilst I was happy to sign Rhodes and with good service he'll get goals, if the club has concerns over FFP then the money used for Rhodes would have been better used to strengthen the defence.

Also, if FFP is a true concern, why bring in McManaman, Urby, Buckley, etc. on big salaries and barely have them in the first team squad?

Suspect FFP is a tool we use to get players cheaper than we want to pay, rather than be a genuine concern.