Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Just now, StudentOwl said:

The perfect understudy to Lee

I'd find him a positive signing, but I'd have to ask why? Seems a really random one considering the sort of player he is and where we're currently weak... 

Thats how I'd see him and given how much Lee was missed in his absence it would make sense.

1 minute ago, SBOwl said:

Not from what I've seen, he's more of a holding CDM, hence why he also plays as a defender. 

Fair enough mate, but isn't he a bit of a right back too? Hence me saying more like Lee :biggrin:

I'll take your word on it, he's one of those that I know is very highly rated and know is busy in the midfield, but don't know whether he's busy in a defensive sense or busy in a box-to-box sense.

Had a very quick look on whoscored, and he sure has tackling figures similar to Bannan :rolleyes:lol

Fair enough mate, but isn't he a bit of a right back too? Hence me saying more like Lee :biggrin:

I'll take your word on it, he's one of those that I know is very highly rated and know is busy in the midfield, but don't know whether he's busy in a defensive sense or busy in a box-to-box sense.

Had a very quick look on whoscored, and he sure has tackling figures similar to Bannan :rolleyes:lol

Oh yeah, forgot Lee played RB! 

lol

Just now, SBOwl said:

Oh yeah, forgot Lee played RB! 

lol

Fun fact: I'm not sure I've ever seen Lee play RB, I started watching during the season he was converted into midfield I believe. Still know all about it though, so I'm dead disappointed in you SB :biggrin:

Ryan Woods seems a random one though. Positive signing (if there's any truth to this whatsoever), but can't help but feel superfluous to our needs? Unless he really is coming in to play the slightly deeper CM role with the knowledge that he has more mobility than Jones or Hutch...

Could this be the signal that Hutch is going to be viewed as a CB again? All the questions, so few answers

Or maybe, as @mrgund would say, this is like when on football manager you go to bid on one player (Harlee Dean) but accidentally click on another player on the squad screen and you submit a bid and it gets accepted and it isn't until you get halfway through contract negotiations that you realise you've got the wrong player

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Howson saying some interesting things in the paper tomorrow from CC on why we haven't made anymore signings. What we reckon it will say? He's happy with the squad, players to expensive, will wait until nearer the deadline?

FFP and the cost of players methinks

How much more interesting could it be? Our scouting reports got shredded by accident? We were going to hire a DoF for all this stuff and he got abducted by aliens? 

Feel ol' Dom is just trying to make it seem more interesting than it inevitably will be. 

I think Woods is the kind of player Carlos would like. Loads of energy and running but plays more defensive and can put a foot in when needed. Obviously not the biggest but that doesn't seem to bother Carlos.

The running in a midfield of Boyd Lee Woods and Reach would really give us some "dynamic"

Would say to me we are struggling to get two centre backs and Hutch will be moved back

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

I think Woods is the kind of player Carlos would like. Loads of energy and running but plays more defensive and can put a foot in when needed. Obviously not the biggest but that doesn't seem to bother Carlos.

The running in a midfield of Boyd Lee Woods and Reach would really give us some "dynamic"

Would say to me we are struggling to get two centre backs and Hutch will be moved back

Agree with this

Guest RocketOwl

It sounds as if Hutchinson is going to start the season as a centre back again which makes the search less critical in terms of being held to ransom.

Carlos must remember though he had to put him in midfield because we kept getting dominated until he went back into midfield Fulham away.  

Woods would be a good signing to enable Hutchinson to play ag the back.

7 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

If we were to get Dean and Woods and move Hutch to CB I'd say our squad is looking very strong. Would be 2 very good buys

It'd be heavenly... just can't see it happening though!

1 minute ago, RocketOwl said:

It sounds as if Hutchinson is going to start the season as a centre back again which makes the search less critical in terms of being held to ransom.

Carlos must remember though he had to put him in midfield because we kept getting dominated until he went back into midfield Fulham away.  

Not sure Ryan Woods would help us not be dominated in midfield... he's full of energy but lacks physical presence and he really doesn't do that much tackling. 

But if we're looking to get the vibe of two seasons ago in, with the midfield more focussed on buzzing around than a solid defensive shape, he'd be ideal I guess? 

Guest RocketOwl

It'd be heavenly... just can't see it happening though!

Not sure Ryan Woods would help us not be dominated in midfield... he's full of energy but lacks physical presence and he really doesn't do that much tackling. 

But if we're looking to get the vibe of two seasons ago in, with the midfield more focussed on buzzing around than a solid defensive shape, he'd be ideal I guess? 

I haven't seen a great deal of him but when I have watched him he has been fairly tenacious and energetic. He would fit in well with Lee and Bannan, with quick one touch counter attacks like our first season. 

You don't always have to be a Carlton Palmer type brute to stop being dominated. I think it's a positional and Mobility factor, Jones just doesn't cover the ground Hutchinson does in stopping opposition counters - Woods could. 

I would be excited by this signing if we pulled it off.

6 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

He's not like Hutch. He's basically a right footed Barry Bannan.

Good player, but would be a bizzare signing if true. 

11 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

How much more interesting could it be? Our scouting reports got shredded by accident? We were going to hire a DoF for all this stuff and he got abducted by aliens? 

Feel ol' Dom is just trying to make it seem more interesting than it inevitably will be. 

Possibly the absence of the chairman 

14 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I can't imagine it will be anything that makes us think we are close to signing anyone. 

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He's not like Hutch. He's basically a right footed Barry Bannan.

Good player, but would be a bizzare signing if true. 

I have only seen him against us and a few games on the box but to me he is different to Bannan

He does the things I would like to see Bannan do. He can tackle and also picks up a lot of loose balls. 

Doesn't go for the "worldy" pass all the time but moves it quickly and simple but forward.

Also quick over the ground.

Thing is...we spent (allegedly) 8-9 million on a striker in January. 

None of our rivals are going to sell their players on the cheap anyway; even more so when they are aware of how much we've been willing to spend in the past. 

Generally speaking we've brought in players from the likes of Watford, Burnley etc who have been looking to move these players on. That's not to say they are bad players (far from it), but you don't snap up a player like Nando for 3 or so million if Watford are desperate to keep hold. Hooper is another one. Very good player, but Norwich were looking to get rid. 

Edited by SiJ