Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

15 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

We don;t even know in what respect hes being talked to about coming back, could be player coach so he can actually coach while doing his badges, and as a back back back backup

Yes, but don't let that get in the way of people using it to have a whinge 

53 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Our transfer policy has been misguided, to say the least Thirty odd players brought in two seasons, and still we're looking for 3 or 4 We've wasted so much money bulking out a squad, and now we're struggling to bring in the quality we still need Now we have to use the loan market, instead of bringing players who aren't much better than what we have, purely because they are the ones we can afford to buy

I guess we've bulked the squad out due to the changes in the loan system maybe? I think we've wasted a lot in wages, not so in transfer fees - think what we've spent on each player is pretty fair in today's market.

31 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If we were now in the prem then this recruitment policy wouldn't be being criticised as much as it currently is, which is fair enough but as I see it we've floundered at this level for most of the thirteen seasons we've competed in it since 2000. Alas the last two seasons have seen 6th and 4th place finishes. Granted the manner of the play-off failures will get chucked into the argument but we've been nowhere near where we currently are for donkey's years. The recruitment and Carlos' coaching/management surely hasn't been as bad as some on here perceive it to be for us to be in the place we are currently are?

I think there a lot of separate issues here. We are undoubtably a club on the up, and have come a long way from we've been in recent years No complaints from me on that score.

Carlos, as a coach, has been like a breath of fresh air, and has/is doing a great job

My bone of contention is purely recruitment, more precisely, last years recruitment. Personally, I don't think Carlos has been responsible for that recruitment, whatever else he may say

I didn't have a problem with year ones recruitment, or for that matter, the football

Following the play off final defeat, we had the nucleus of an exciting squad, which probably only needed 2 or 3 players to take us to the next level Credit to DC, we were able to keep that squad intact, and over £20m was provided to complete the job. Now, a year on, and another 15 players recruited, we don't seem much further down the line The recruitment has been questionable to say the least

49 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

What you have to remember is that these fees aren't just spread over the 2/3 years, but rather the length of the contract. For instance, say Rhodes was £9m and he signed a 3 year contract, then in terms of transfer outlay that's "only" £3m a season. Fees won't be the issue here, wages will be the biggest hit on our FFP record. Eg, Fletcher, Winnall, Hooper and Rhodes will be on a combined total of £100k... over 52 weeks that's £5million+ a season on four players alone! Or in other words, 10,000 season tickets at £500 a pop. 

All very true, but even the "only £3m/season" for Rhodes adds up when you consider the fees we've reportedly spent - Abdi is "only £1.5m/season", Reach is "only £1.25m/season", etc.

Also, what happens when a player signs a new contract - like Forestieri? His £3m fee would be split over his 4-year contract when he signed, but he's since signed a longer contract - does the £3m fee stay across his initial 4 year contract, or will it now be over 5 years (which would be his length of stay with us if he left at the end of his new contract)?

Also, what happens if we sell Forestieri - does the rest of the fee suddenly shift to falling onto the current financial year and not over his contract length? It's all very confusing!

Not really been the summer i was expecting so far, really thought/hoped we would have identified the players we wanted very early on and got them in to give them time to have as much of a pre season as possible with us. Had really been looking forward to the season starting but maybe now i wish it was an extra few weeks away to give us time to sign a couple of players. Last thing we want is another poor start and have excuses like the new signings arent up to speed and arent ready to play etc.

Just now, Pulcinella said:

To be honest, Wolves really worries me.

Are we getting overtaken by a team willing to make greater financial risks in order to get promoted. I know it's high risk for them. But wow! What players they are signing.

Maybe, but what can we do about it, short of risking a transfer embargo?

There's no guarantee it will work for them, either. It will be frustrating if it does come off, but there will always be clubs with more cash than us. 

We just have to keep building the best we can and hope that our stability will count for something.

People are worried about FFP but most posters don't know how it works, how much we have paid for each transfer or how much we are paying in wages. The figures posters think they know might be right or could be completely false. 

DC does know all these figures and I'm sure the clubs accountants know how FFP works.

Stop fretting about it, trust DC and. enjoy the ride. 

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

Wolves will flop this season.

The whole Mendes thing won't end well either. They might be happy now at spending ridiculous money on his apparent amazing players, but I'd rather it be them being run by an agent than us.

I ain't sayin' he's a gold digger...

7 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

All very true, but even the "only £3m/season" for Rhodes adds up when you consider the fees we've reportedly spent - Abdi is "only £1.5m/season", Reach is "only £1.25m/season", etc.

Also, what happens when a player signs a new contract - like Forestieri? His £3m fee would be split over his 4-year contract when he signed, but he's since signed a longer contract - does the £3m fee stay across his initial 4 year contract, or will it now be over 5 years (which would be his length of stay with us if he left at the end of his new contract)?

Also, what happens if we sell Forestieri - does the rest of the fee suddenly shift to falling onto the current financial year and not over his contract length? It's all very confusing!

What on earth are you going on about?

We sign Forrestieri for £3m, we pay Watford monthly instalments of say 62.5k over 4 years, this is shown in the accounts as 750k a year.

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Maybe, but what can we do about it, short of risking a transfer embargo?

There's no guarantee it will work for them, either. It will be frustrating if it does come off, but there will always be clubs with more cash than us. 

We just have to keep building the best we can and hope that our stability will count for something.

Agreed. It's just that the stakes seem to have got higher this year. For what it's worth, Wolves are signing players with FIFA 17 ranking of 80+. We've been signing players with a FIFA 17 ranking of 70+, with some in the mid 70s. I know it's just a game, but it's an indication of quality of the players.

5 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

To be honest, Wolves really worries me.

Are we getting overtaken by a team willing to make greater financial risks in order to get promoted. I know it's high risk for them. But wow! What players they are signing.

The same. This is the real consequence of the premier leagues new deal. Just like the Sentanta/ITV digital fiasco was because of the first major jump in Sky money all them years ago. They tried to complete with sky and lost, leaving the football clubs in trouble.

Wolves must be just planning to run 39 million debt in one year let alone over 3. Its the football equivalent of going all in in poker. If it works they win if it fails they are gone.

The worry for me is that if it does work, you'll have 5 plus teams doing it next year and then surely 1 or 2 of them will get lucky. That with the regelated prem teams taking the other 1 or 2 positions, leave any other team who's trying to stay in FFP or use their academy going nowhere.

We spent our summer centre half money on Rhodes in January. That was a gamble absolutely worth taking that the vast majority of fans wanted.

You can't have it both ways, and the last time we 'pushed' the boat out we had a 15 year period that followed with the likes of Tony Crane at centre half and the players taking pack up on the team bus. 

Just now, dobbo said:

What on earth are you going on about?

We sign Forrestieri for £3m, we pay Watford monthly instalments of say 62.5k over 4 years, this is shown in the accounts as 750k a year.

Don't think it is as straight forward as that.

Just because we can split the fee for a player over the course of his contract, it doesn't mean the selling club are happy to be paid over that period - they might want the payments over the shorter time period. For example, FFP states if Forestieri signs a 4 year contract, his £3m fee is split over that 4 year contract. What if Watford want the fee settled and paid over 2 years? I don't think the FFP rules and how we pay other clubs for players go hand in hand.

Given the FFP rules - the fee is calculated over the course of the players contract - I was simply asking what happens if the player signs a contract extension or is sold from a FFP point of view.

4 minutes ago, Stevelknievel said:

Wolves must be just planning to run 39 million debt in one year let alone over 3. Its the football equivalent of going all in in poker. If it works they win if it fails they are gone.

Or Wolves just get a transfer embargo the following season and still have a squad capable of winning promotion! A transfer embargo, when you've got a promotion quality squad, isn't exactly punishment!

1 minute ago, Stevelknievel said:

The same. This is the real consequence of the premier leagues new deal. Just like the Sentanta/ITV digital fiasco was because of the first major jump in Sky money all them years ago. They tried to complete with sky and lost, leaving the football clubs in trouble.

The worry for me is that if it does work, you'll have 5 plus teams doing it next year and then surely 1 or 2 of them will get lucky. That with the regelated prem teams taking the other 1 or 2 positions, leave any other team who's trying to stay in FFP or use their academy going nowhere.

Wolves were one of the few teams a couple of years back, who's accounts were in the black.

Their new owner is richer than that idiot at villa, so he's not short of some cash. He also promised upto £30m investment in the club over the first couple of years to get promoted.

The risk in spending £15m on one player, is injuries. That new signing limped off during a friendly, but a bad knock and he's out for 3 months - they don't have squad depth to cover for that.

If you look at clubs who have spent sizeable sums and/or expect promotion - wolves, us, villa, Norwich, Derby, Middlesbrough, Fulham, reading, Birmingham, Leeds and Sunderland - only three can go up. Those that don't risk becoming another forest, Cardiff, Bolton or qpr.

It's a very risky gamble, I'd rather we were sensible and stayed in contention than went all out, $hit or bust.

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think there a lot of separate issues here. We are undoubtably a club on the up, and have come a long way from we've been in recent years No complaints from me on that score.

Carlos, as a coach, has been like a breath of fresh air, and has/is doing a great job

My bone of contention is purely recruitment, more precisely, last years recruitment. Personally, I don't think Carlos has been responsible for that recruitment, whatever else he may say

I didn't have a problem with year ones recruitment, or for that matter, the football

Following the play off final defeat, we had the nucleus of an exciting squad, which probably only needed 2 or 3 players to take us to the next level Credit to DC, we were able to keep that squad intact, and over £20m was provided to complete the job. Now, a year on, and another 15 players recruited, we don't seem much further down the line The recruitment has been questionable to say the least

Fletcher was a good signing and even though some would say he was hit and miss, eleven goals was just about par. Did he improve us? IMO yes.

Abdi. No one was complaining when he was signed. For what ever reason it hasn't worked out. It may still do but on paper he's a player who should've improved us.

Jones. Proven player at this level. Four promotions from this level to the one above. I think he's suffered from a combination of Carlos being unsure how to fit him in the team and likewise an uncertainty from the player as to how he understood how he was to be deployed by us. Once again though a player who should've improved us on paper.

Pudil. Struggled last season because of the lack of a proper summer break IMO but not many would've argued with him signing after his performances here while on loan.

Reach. I've criticised him more than most. Fee wise Middlesborough had our pants down. He may yet prove to be a good bit of business but for me he was one of the reasons our style of play changed. He's too predictable and ponderous in his play like we became as a team. However we arguably progressed last season with this approach so what do I know?

Fox. I didn't think it was necessary to sign another left back. His form last season was mixed but let's see what he does this season.

Winnall. Purely signed IMO as an alternative should we have missed out on Rhodes. Good Player but will probably be moved on sooner rather than later?

Rhodes. One of the best goalscorer at this level. His signing should've improved the first eleven but for some reason most likely tactics employed didn't but he may still come good?

In summary the recruitment last season was mixed certainly in comparison to the season before. That said I wouldn't say it's been a complete write off.  We finished fourth in comparison to sixth the season before but alas before I get reminded for the umpteenth time we were 2 games away from the prem rather than one last season. If we fail to go up this coming season then you probably can say last season's recruitment was a complete write off but the stage is set for a lot of last season's signings to ram some of the critisicm they've received right back down our throats.