what my Villa mate said about Bannan.

I like Bannan... when he is on form. I don't think there is anybody better at dictating play from the middle of the park. However, even when on form, the one thing that really lets him down at this level is his shooting ability. We don't score many goals as it is so we need the midfielders to be chipping in more often than they do. That's why it was so great to see what Abdi is capable of when he scored against Forest. Having said that, Bannan has scored some screamers. That's what I don't get - he can go from scoring absolute worldies to looking like an embarrassing amateur. Hutch also has this problem, but as a more defensive midfielder it's less expected from him. They practise their shooting in the warm ups just in front of where I sit in the North before every match and it's comical at times. I don't think he should be made a scapegoat for the team's problems. It runs far deeper than just him. But he should not be immune to being dropped when he is not on form - like any of them, unless there is no other alternative. I was actually really surprised when he didn't come back out for the second half last night - but it was the right call.

2 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

some of you need to re-read my post. I am not castigating Bannan as a footballer, or saying he is crap, or saying he is to blame for our dire first half performances. What i'm trying to hint at is that I've noticed traits in him that a mate of mine alluded too.

if any of you have played any team sport you know that there is always a bertie big rounduns that does no wrong and who slags off his junior or new team mates, rather than encouraging them. That's fine and dandy when they're on top of their game and starman week in week out, but at the moment he's not. A bit of humility in the lad's game and he might have been a top class player. But he's not and my fear is that he is affecting the progress of Reach and others and is adversely affecting team spirit.

FF on the other hand is a greedy fekker, who must pee off his team mates in better positions, but he gets away with it because he delivers time after time, just like the one last night.

Like I said it's good to know we are not the only club to scapegoat players after a loss

8 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

some of you need to re-read my post. I am not castigating Bannan as a footballer, or saying he is crap, or saying he is to blame for our dire first half performances. What i'm trying to hint at is that I've noticed traits in him that a mate of mine alluded too.

if any of you have played any team sport you know that there is always a bertie big rounduns that does no wrong and who slags off his junior or new team mates, rather than encouraging them. That's fine and dandy when they're on top of their game and starman week in week out, but at the moment he's not. A bit of humility in the lad's game and he might have been a top class player. But he's not and my fear is that he is affecting the progress of Reach and others and is adversely affecting team spirit.

FF on the other hand is a greedy fekker, who must pee off his team mates in better positions, but he gets away with it because he delivers time after time, just like the one last night.

It's not necessarily your post that's the issue here mate - you make a good point. It's those that jump on and slag off our better players beyond reason that need to get some perspective. 

The honorary favourites club of Wallace Bannan and Lee have been poor this season. As we walked out of Wembley we knew that we had come far achieving the play offs and with a few quality additions we would move up to the next level which we all looked forward to happening. It didn't happen or Carlos has seemed reluctant to change it for whatever reason. It seems as though his hand may now be forced to change it.

8 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

I like Bannan... when he is on form. I don't think there is anybody better at dictating play from the middle of the park. However, even when on form, the one thing that really lets him down at this level is his shooting ability. We don't score many goals as it is so we need the midfielders to be chipping in more often than they do. That's why it was so great to see what Abdi is capable of when he scored against Forest. Having said that, Bannan has scored some screamers. That's what I don't get - he can go from scoring absolute worldies to looking like an embarrassing amateur. Hutch also has this problem, but as a more defensive midfielder it's less expected from him. They practise their shooting in the warm ups just in front of where I sit in the North before every match and it's comical at times. I don't think he should be made a scapegoat for the team's problems. It runs far deeper than just him. But he should not be immune to being dropped when he is not on form - like any of them, unless there is no other alternative. I was actually really surprised when he didn't come back out for the second half last night - but it was the right call.

And this is not having a go at Bannan, but a response to the post.

2015/16 - 2 goals

2016/17 - 1 goal

not sure how many were screamers.(all 3, I know)

in perspective that's the same amount of goals/screamers as Pudil, McGugan, Nuhiu, Matias, Lees and Hutch have scored in the same period.(each)

20 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

how can you possibly know that bannan is adversely effecting team spirit ?.. .we've lost 2 in 11 and you think the  team spirit is in question .we were crap last night but the way they fought to the end didn't suggest to me that there's anything wrong with spirit of the team ...........a truly bizarre post

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

how can you possibly know that bannan is adversely effecting team spirit ?.. .we've lost 2 in 11 and you think the  team spirit is in question .we were crap last night but the way they fought to the end didn't suggest to me that there's anything wrong with spirit of the team ...........a truly bizarre post

when he went off.....................

Bannan was superb last season because we played football.

This season or at least since Christmas we have been missing out the midfield and going earlier into the strikers.

It doesn't suit Bazza, who wants to get on the ball and dictate the pace and tempo of a game.

Most of BB touches are picking up second balls.

Bannan is the latest scapegoat of players from last season who are actually not that far off where they were but because they aren't shiny and new the moaners have gone off them. Same thing has happened with Pudil, Wallace, Hooper and Forestieri. The fact Villa fans didn't rate him means nothing, this is a fanbase that thought they would walk this division and be champions by Christmas.

15 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

This is all preposterous hindsight fookwhittery isn't it?...Why didn't all this "Villa" mate stuff come out before Bannan had a dip in form...?...baffling eh?

All of a sudden every f.ooker has a Villa mate who told them EXACTLY what was going to happen?...absolute sheeite

15 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

I don't think that at all, he's a good player at this level. He does tend to sit a bit deep these days and perhaps he's been asked to play in a position he's not most effective in. Also forward players tend to be a bit static so if he plays a ball forward and loses possession the fans boo him and that's not helping anyone. I seen him shout and point at players to move into a better position but they rarely do. What the OP is doing is scapegoating and let's face it, if it wasn't Bannan it would be somebody else. Some people are never satisfied 

Two excellent posts that sum up how I feel.

Threads like this can do one.

Your Villa mate is welcome to his view.

The view of me as a Wednesday fan is this...

He absolutely tries his nuts off game after game, for 97 minutes. Never stops running. Never hides. Always helps the full-backs, then tries to start the next forward movement.

He misplaces some passes, but finds his man with 80/90% and tries to find openings. 

Wish he could score more than 2 per season, but I accept he doesn't because he brings so much to the team.

He often plays out of position and still does his best.

One of our best players in decades.

Delighted we have him.

Edited by Holmowl

On 22/02/2017 at 16:57, mark1948 said:

Last night, first half in particular, none of our team seemed capable of making the most basic of passes. We were giving the ball away cheaply all over the place, not just Bannan.

Whenever we got a throw in we threw it directly to them more often than to one of our own people. Throw ins in our defensive third were being thrown to Brentford ( I know we don't have anyone who can take a long throw, so how come we can throw it all the way to Brentford.) when Westwood was available and could start a new attack. Instead we were back defending again.

By contrast it seemed that every Brentford pass found its mark. Or was that just a perception.

Having said all that I fully expected us to be beaten last night but expect us to have success against Leeds and Norwich.

C'mon you Owls!!!

It's just a perception.

We're 5th in the table for both accurate passes and total possession. 51.8% total possession and 77.8% accurate passes this season.

Only Fulham, Reading, Huddersfield and Newcastle rank above us. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11673/10776733/jaap-stams-reading-aiming-to-pass-their-way-into-the-premier-league