Poll: Man of the Match vs Newcastle...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Newcastle  

476 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Newcastle?

• Westwood
    • Palmer
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Pudil
    • Reach
    • Hutchinson
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Wallace
    • Joao
    • Jones
    • Nuhiu

50 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Hutch 

anyone vote a player other than Hutch and ill hunt you down and cut yer nuts off with a blunt rusty sickle 

Glad I seen this before voting.... Was going to vote for Loovens but now decided on Hutch. lol

Guest domSWFC

Westwood - 9 - One awesome save, and did the simple stuff well. Held on to the ball when we needed him to, got rid of it quick when we needed him to. Very assured performance.

Palmer - 7 - Pretty solid defensively, decent going forward. If only he'd have lifted his head up instead of blazing that effort over the bar. 

Lees - 8 - Dominant in the air, and comfortable on the ball. 

Loovens - 9 - As above, and got the goal.

Pudil - 5 - couple of daft errors, which against decent opposition we'd have been punished :manager: 

Walllce - 8 - The man for a big game. He always raises his game when we need him most. Not anything flashy, but always calm and composed and provided us with so much balance. Palmer is a much better player with him infront of him too. 

God - 10 - He's a beast. He's a beautiful man. He's everything I want in a man, and everything I want to be. He dominates opposition players like he should be carrying a whip and wearing latex. Lees and Loovens are so much better with him infront of them, and I'm sure I'd be a better person if I had him battling infront of me too. #NoHomo

Bannan - 8 - Back to his natural position and it showed. Calm, composed and sprayed it around like a wizard with an errection at times. 

Reach - 7 - Kept looking like he was gonna do something, always looking on the verge of breaking through. But so much hesitation cost him, really needs a goal. 

Fletcher - 6 - Really good hold up play, got into the right positions but he really should be smashing those chances away every day of the week. Great saves, but the keeper shouldn't have been given a chance. 

Forestieri - 7 - Similar to Reach, maybe just not quite up to pace after missing a few games. 

All the subs 8. Did exactly what they were brought on for.

The fans - 10 - You were amazing. 

Oh my god ! Sam Hutchinson AGAIN!

Not sure if I've not noticed before, but he seems to have much more pace this season than last, either he Is fitter and now quicker over the ground or he is reading the game better. 

He he is also going to ground less because he is getting to his opposites much quicker. 

Someone tell me what has happened to him this season please .......

57 minutes ago, trotter said:

Ratings:

Westwood 8

Palmer 5 - 

Pudil 5

Loovens 6

Lees 7

Reach 6

Bannan 7

Hutchinson 9

Wallace 6

FF 6

Fletcher 6

Jones 6

Dave n/a

Joao 4

Referee - 9 One of best we have had this season

A great team performance 

Wow

7 players on less than a 7, and we won away at the top of the league

We're going to hammer someone when everyone turns up

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Hutchinson is on fire at the moment. His game is just about complete... Tackling, running back, defending, moving forward... He's got the lot. And some of those long distance passes were outstanding. Hutch is clearly MoM for me although, for once, everybody had decent games or better.

Westwood 8 2 great saves, commanded area well

Palmer 6 not really tested, promisingly got in a great position to score but hit row z

Loovens 8 just needs to watch his man at set pieces but priceless goal bumps him up 1

Lees 7 solid

Pudil 6 a worry but his lack of pace not exposed by left footed wingers cutting in

Reach 6 better 2nd half, could play in middle but a bit lightweight in a petter rudi way, good engine but not much of a threat and not blessed with pace for a wideman so not sure he owns a position,  (0 goals, 2 assists this half season).

Bannan 6 flexibility seems more useful than his effectiveness these days, tidy but a bit lightweight for middle, not a natural wideman or anchorman either so struggling to own a position, like reach probably better on left of a 3 with his energy, 1 goal 3 assists this half season

Hutchinson 8* mom as usual these days, needs to stay fit for us to go up

Wallace 6 quiet and little threat again (0 goals 2 assists this half season despite taking set pieces), shocking shot into row z from 10 yards out at 0-0

FF 6 quiet assist aside but understandable after 3 games out, needs to be firing for us to go up but needs better service too

Fletcher 6 could compete for centre back on that, including his finishing, 2 great chances yielded 1 reasonable shot at a nice height for keeper, but 1 shocking miss, will be good to have a fresh hooper as an option for 2nd half.

Jones 6

Joao 4 fuming when he gave ball away cheap in extra time, had his chances for me, how could he look knackered as a sub too

Good away team performance with 3 or 4 good individual shows, they were poor but some of that down to us no doubt.

Very strong down spine at this level, just a worry about the flanks going both ways, think it's correctly been

acknowledged we need a creative winger with pace, they were there for taking on counter

but we never finished them, gladly it never cost us this time, happy to be wrong in thinking

we'd lose or 0-0!

Get some deadwood out, gamble on winger and possibly left back and it could be even closer than last year

Edited by Ash77

Westwood 9.5 Right up there in the Springett class tonight typified by holding on to that header (if a little soft)

Palmer 7  I thought he did really well but managed to spurn the simplest chance of the night. Cost him an 8 that.

Pudil 6.5 much improved second half but the Newky Browns didn't pressure him as much.

Loovens 8 not as easy as it looks towering over their dwarf stiker.

Lees 8           do       do      do      do      do      do      do      do

Reach 7.5 could have been more set off like a train but lost confidence after he found ball stuck in his feet. Gradually got back on song second half though.

Bannan 8 His balls were impressive throughout the first half.

Hutchinson 10 Never put a foot wrong.

Wallace 8 intelligent play.

FF 7.5 Impressive after a 3 game lay off, tired a little. Match sharpness will return.

Fletcher 7.5 Closing down was superb towards the end and deserved to have registered on two occasions.

Jones 6.5 covered in the middle and got a foot in.

Dave 6.5 burnt the last few minutes, so important.

Joao 6.5 willing runner a little unlucky on a couple of occasions.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
ommision

Westwood     8.0 - One very good saves, two decent ones... other than that nothing more than routine. Clean sheet, that'll do lad!

Palmer     6.0- Terrible miss in the first half, should have scored or squared it. Defensively competent but gave the ball away a few times. Gets an extra 0.5 for the clean sheet

Lees     7..5 - No nonsense performance. Seems to have got over that small rut he was in a few weeks ago. Loses 0.5 for the number of free headers from set pieces they got

Loovens     8 - HE SCORED. HE'S DONE IT, HE'S FINALLY DONE IT :biggrin:. Defensively solid too. Loses 0.5 for the number of free headers from set pieces they got

Pudil     6.5 - Was about a 2/10 in the first half, but second half I dunno whether it was him coming into the game or a change in tactics from Newcastle, but he looked much more like his old self from last season. Second half he was a 7.5, and 2 and 7.5 average out at 6 innit. 

Hutch     9.5 - Literally only thing stopping him getting a 10 was the lack of a 30 yard screamer. Absolutely bossed it, pass of the season and all in the first half to release Palmer

Wallace     7.0 - Normally a big critic of his, but found myself not complaining all game. Don't think he did anything to stand out, but was solid

Bannan     7.5 - Looked much better when he got a bit further forward, didn't look to play the Hollywood ball every time and in general distributed the ball quite well

Reach     6.5 - Looked out of sorts really and didn't give Pudil support in the first half defensively. Picked up a bit in the second half but still never drove forward with much conviction

Forestieri     7.0 - Off the pace, but he hasn't played in 3 weeks and maybe he had one too many mince pies yesterday. Still looked dangerous at times

Fletcher     7.5 - Defensively magnificent (odd thing to say about a striker!) and his physicality and experience meant he battled well against a strong Newcastle back line. Should have scored though so he loses a point for that... got to say a poor miss rather than a good save when you hit the ball a foot off the ground right into the centre of the goal. Still, didn't cost us lol 

Carlos     9.5 - :manager:

Lordy oh Lordy, tease me Westwood. Immense keeping from both sides, although Westwood was the less tested of the two.

Congrats to Loovens on getting his first goal. A couple incidences of loose marking but organised his defence well and that header was sweet.

Once Reach had that 'incident' in the first half where he completely switched off and we got lucky, I struggled to remain impartial about his game 

Fletcher was a proper presence in attack and defence. Useful at the back and creative up front. Should have scored but did plenty else right.

Carlos got it spot on.

Not going to comment on anyone else, they're the ones that stuck in my mind.

Westwood 8 - Worldy save early on, never seemed to panic, calm on the ball when required. 

Palmer 6 - Good effort, but looked vulnerable at times and gave the ball away too often.

Pudil 6 - Low on confidence. Offered a threat going forward but needs to be stronger defensively. Conceded too many free kicks and a little lucky not to receive a second yellow card. 

Loovens 8 - Exposed for pace once or twice but won most of his aerial challenges and scored the decisive goal. 

Lees 8 - Solid. A cool head at the back. 

Reach 6 - Awful first half, much improved in the second. Some way to go before he starts to justify the hefty price tag. 

Bannan 7 - Steady. Got involved in plenty of battles and looked accomplished on the ball. 

Hutchinson 9 - MOM. Fantastic. Seemed to be everywhere on the pitch. Fast becoming Mr Sheffield Wednesday.

Wallace 8 - Looked dangerous. An excellent away from home performance. Faded as the game went on, but great set-piece delivery. If only he was a few years younger...

Forestieri 7 - Like an annoying wasp. Can play much better but obviously had Newcastle concerned at times. Decision making was not the best but will improve in the coming weeks. 

Fletcher 8.5 - Terrific display. A thorn in Newcastle's side and did a hell of a lot of great defensive work which may have gone unnoticed by some. Should have scored early in the second half. 

Jones (sub) 6 - Unspectacular but brought some solidarity. 

Nuhiu (sub) 6 - Barely on long enough to register, but won a throw and a free kick late on to help run down the clock.

Joao (sub) 4 - Very frustrating. Brought on to provide strength and energy and offered neither. Seems likely to fall by the wayside unless he drastically improves over the second half of the season. 

Carlos 9 - Tactics spot on, subs generally successful and a cheeky flick with the outside of the foot which had Benitez green with envy. 

Hutch was immense as we all witnessed but i actually thought Reach was decent. Ran hard at the Newcastle defence. Joao seems to have lost all his touch. Gave away a terrible ball late in the game. Overall superb team performance.  Should garner a lot of confidence from this result and our depth should hold us in good stead in the second half of the season.