OFFICIAL - Urby Emanuelson signs

54 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

As an avid Serie A watcher .. this deal excites me ! 

Would be a coup on the Royston Drenthe scale. 

Sounds a solid addition then. One question as you'll probably no better than me - how is his temperament? Drenthe was an excellent player but his attitude wasn't always great and I still remember that bloody stupid red card at home to Bournemouth.

Couldn't match the name to the player until I saw the goals clip ; then it all slotted into place. A bit like FF and his full energy play. Doesn't like to lose the ball and fights like a tiger to get it back. Hope he still plays the same way then we could have grabbed another diamond.

i saw him play a few times when i lived in amsterdam and went to ajax games. at the time he was great, albeit in the dutch league, he had physicality, pace and vision.

used to play there mostly on the left side of the midfield 3, was more than comfortable directly in the middle and could play at left back-which was a real waste of his abilities.

only seen him play maybe once since then, for milan in the champions league at lb, i think. can't really remember it.

but if he's anything like he was he's a great player to have for any team.

i hope it's true

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

My previous discussion about signing largely 28 and over players (in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago)...

My response was based on your post. If you want members to look at previous posts then give them a reference.

Are you so conceited that you think that members of Owlstalk remember all you have posted over the last two weeks.

...was based on it meaning that within a couple of years we've maybe got some players who recently signed who are getting "over the hump" in a few years' time on big wages if we don't get promoted. In the case of Buckley, a loan signing hardly solves that problem (although hopefully he'll sign permanently later as loan signings fairly often do) as he'll be gone in May. In the case of Sasso... I'll hold my hands up, I simply forgot we signed him, probably because he was here last season. 

So, of the 7 permanent signings we made for the first team (Kean, Pudil, Sasso, Reach, Jones, Abdi, Fletcher) 3 are indeed below the age of 28. But that's 3 out of 7, not three out of 6 as you said, Mr 'You're not allowed to make half-joking comments'... so clearly if you're going to correct me you need to make sure your correctionhave "substance in fact" 

That's also generously including our third choice GK...it drops to 2 out of 7 if you only include players likely to get 5 or more appearances this season.
"But you're right, I'm definitely not allowed to make light-hearted throwaway comments..."

My response to this was that "You are allowed to make any comment you like". If you tell me with which part of that response you are having difficulty then I will happily do my best to help you?

Christ I'm never making a throwaway comment ever again.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot find anything wrong with that statement.

1. a)You've taken a half-joking comment and turned it into a 8 line response, again... good grief :rolleyes: 

1. b) That's something I'd do! So I'll do it now.

2. Ignoring all that about the development squad because that's not what I was talking about (I crossed it out for ya) and focusing on current first team signings,

3. Buckley is a loan signing who will be gone at the end of the year, and Sasso is also on a one year contract. My previous discussion about signing largely 28 and over players (in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago) 
...was based on it meaning that within a couple of years we've maybe got some players who recently signed who are getting "over the hump" in a few years' time on big wages if we don't get promoted. In the case of Buckley, a loan signing hardly solves that problem (although hopefully he'll sign permanently later as loan signings fairly often do) as he'll be gone in May. In the case of Sasso... I'll hold my hands up, I simply forgot we signed him, probably because he was here last season.

4. So, of the 7 permanent signings we made for the first team (Kean, Pudil, Sasso, Reach, Jones, Abdi, Fletcher) 3 are indeed below the age of 28. But that's 3 out of 7, not three out of 6 as you said, Mr 'You're not allowed to make half-joking comments'... so clearly if you're going to correct me you need to make sure your corrections have "substance in fact" 

1a. There were actually 14 lines. Presumably you meant 8 sentences.

1b. That sounds like you are criticising me for something you admit you do. Have a word with yourself.

2.   Perhaps you will allow me to make any edits of my posts - if that is OK with you?

Ignoring points made by other posters adds no credibility to your own argument

3.   Your words to Adem Poric were "...all of our recruitment this summer has been players 29 and over". That is not true. Again you just ignore other signings because they don't suit your argument. The use of words such as 'if', 'maybe', 'hardly' and 'hopefully', add little of substance.

We don't know if Buckley will be gone at the end of the season. It is not a matter of significance at present.

4. I accept that I missed Pudil. Wow, that was easy. Amazing how simple it is to accept that you have made a mistake.

Just in case you didn't understand how easy it is, I have written it again in the style of StudentOwl. "In the case of Pudil... I'll hold my hands up, I simply forgot we signed him, probably because he was here last season."

Not sure whether or not I should add a '...good grief' here. I expect that StudentOwl will amend it for me if it is wrong.