In or Out?

In. Sacking the manager of a team in the top half of the table when many thought we'd be fighting relegation from the start would be pathetic. A few weeks ago fans were talking about getting into the play-off places, now a slump in form and they're calling for the manager to be sacked. We must have one of the thickest sets of fans in the country.

In. 

This could be out best finishing position since we finished 12th Under Laws. 

Every season since 11/12 season we've made steady progress.

We're one point above 16th and have relegation form.

When you say it like that, I don't think this season is panning out to be so much of a miracle after all.

For a long time now we've shown precious little imagination when it comes to appointing managers. As far back as the late 1990's Dave Richards toyed with the idea of something different. Troussier, Houlier and Passarella were all linked but he appointed dear old Danny and we all know what happened from that point on.

The old guard didn't have a scooby doo when it came to appointing Managers. Shreeves, Yorath and the coupe de grace, Alan Irvine.

Jewell was unlucky with the situation he inherited. Turner probably left us in better shape than he inherited us despite leaving us a division lower. Sturrock is probably the best manager we had under the old guard and Laws did a better job than I gave him credit for at the time.

The managers MM has appointed during his time as chairman/owner have all in a sense been a means to an end to push the club forward from a difficult position. Megson did the dirty work, Jones took the glory but surprisingly struggled with a restricted budget in the championship and Gray took over and has steadied the ship but looks to have found choppier waters and he might be asked to jump overboard sooner or later?

For me the club have to decide whether they keep spinning plates when it comes to managers and hope that one manages to stay in place and spin for five years or so or try something really different?

For me there's three types of Manager's they might go for. A proven championship manager with a promotion to the premier league on his CV, Allardyce, Pearson?

A left field foreign appointment not too dissimilar to when Swansea appointed Martinez?

Or finally a decorated ex pro from the modern game. Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes?

I personally think they might seriously consider the third option but there are no guarantees which ever direction they decide to take. All I'm asking for is for the club to try something different. If they did they might get a little bit of patience from the fans and who knows the club might even prosper?

Good post

He deserves to stay until the end of the season.

BUT

The new owners I reckon will already be looking to replace him behind the scenes and I don't want us to rush any appointment as the next one could be crucial. It's not ideal for Gray but if we use until now until the end of the season to get someone earmarked and approached and get plans in place for future additions etc then we should hit the ground running pre-season. 

Let's be honest, there are no guarantees with anything in football and whoever we bring in whether experienced or not needs to be the right fit.

Edited by Babushka1867

Sack.

I don't believe he's the man to ultimately get us to the prem which is obviously the main goal, so why waste anymore time keeping him. The football has been too negative and he can be sacked on the home form alone in my eyes. 2 goals from open play and approaching March is pathetic.

In. Sacking the manager of a team in the top half of the table when many thought we'd be fighting relegation from the start would be pathetic. A few weeks ago fans were talking about getting into the play-off places, now a slump in form and they're calling for the manager to be sacked. We must have one of the thickest sets of fans in the country.

We sacked Megson when we were 3rd. We wouldn't have got automatic promotion without him going.

Sadly I must vote out , as I think he has hit the ceiling on how far he can go , every game now seems to be a carbon copy of the last one  methinks we need a fresh aproach to move further forward and tbh I don't think Gray can provide that ,

In for me at the moment but unfortunately he is on a knife edge and there needs to be clear and consistent improvement starting on Tuesday.

Iam with Daggers on keeping Stuart Gray as Head Coach,but my gut feeling is that the New Owners have already got a replacement lined up in the summer.