In or Out?

Gray to stay.

Mid-table was the goal; he's on target to achieve it.

With better finishing and fewer mistakes by the players, and some better refereeing decisions , everyone would be hailing him as the next messiah.

Fine lines as they say but Gray deserves more time. The team will get out of this rut. Two goals against Derby may just have been the start of better things to come.

Mid table under Milan Mandaric.

I highly doubt the new broom will be wanting te same.

Aim high, were you around when Big Ron first came in?

Find a manager who's been there and done it and sell the club and its plan so much that they'd be mad to turn us down.

People say someone like Big Sam wouldn't come here, well he may be out of work at the end of the season. Offer him what HE wants, no more rattling around at the bottom of the biscuit barrel.

Ask me after the Millwall game !

This.

My view has been that he should be given until the end of the season. Perhaps the new signings would click, and maybe he'd bring a winger in...etc.

Unfortunately, the timeframe is shortening with every dire result.

I don't actually include yesterday in that because Derby are obviously an incredibly strong side. The Brighton, Ipswich, Cardiff, Reading, Birmingham, Bolton results have tipped him towards the chop for me though. That first half against Brighton, in particular, was absolutely appalling!!!

What is barmy is that we can all see that at least one winger has been needed since Drenthe left. Yet nothing has been done to address the issue.

We've had another glaring issue for the last few games too; but I'm boring everyone to tears by banging on about it now. All I'm saying is that his decision making is all over the place and that is likely to be his undoing in the end.

Out for me.

He's done a decent job at steadying the ship but we have a horrible tendency under Gray aswell as previous managers to go on long winless runs that just seem to completely derail any hope of a decent season. Add this to the turgid home form this season and I would think the new owners would like their own man at the helm.

I have to agree on the point about winless runs. Question is, who out there is available, willing and capable of taking the club forward. I am struggling to think of anyone who could in the long term do a job

Stuart Gray has done a great job under difficult circumstances and usually I'd say he should stay, he was in the right place at the right time when MM appointed him and it was right for him, MM and the club for him to step up and get the job but With the new owners coming in maybe it's time to start afresh and find an experienced manager who knows what it takes to get out of this league.

Before anyone says "Who" TBH I don't know but we should go for a top target and not just someone who's out of work.

i often consider coming over for a match as i havent been this season, but i keep putting it off as it just doesnt sound entertaining enough to warrant it versus the cost of a holiday somewhere warm instead, to a visit to be bored at Hillsborough. Seems it just not me if attendances are anything to go by.

Get rid, that home stat of 3 wins in around a year is horrendous and he has no excuses now imo.

Whilst ever the 90s are still feint memories for the majority of our fan base the perceived performances this season are not acceptable

Edited by modboy

Megson - looked on with nostalgia but the fact is his football was slagged off every week for being long and unattractive.

Neville - what? Grays not a proper manager but Neville, who hasn't managed, is?

Zola - has shown to be okay but inconsistent, however he can attract players so I'll accept that one.

Alladyce - lol who do you think we are?

Paul lambert - so we want more goals yeah? Let's give the man who couldn't get more goals than us with a far better squad and hugely coveted striker. We don't have that but you think his brand will be better?

Out of those only Zola makes the slightest bit of sense.

I'd hardly say Megson was sagged off,the fan base has never been so United.There was an arrogance about the place,teams hated playing us,phrases such as we're Wednesday we'll do what we want and the city is ours were born.

He is on record as says he had built a squad to get out if league one but would need to build another squad for the championship.

Remember you don't choose Wednesday,Wednesday chooses you.

Edited by Blue and white

For a long time now we've shown precious little imagination when it comes to appointing managers. As far back as the late 1990's Dave Richards toyed with the idea of something different. Troussier, Houlier and Passarella were all linked but he appointed dear old Danny and we all know what happened from that point on.

The old guard didn't have a scooby doo when it came to appointing Managers. Shreeves, Yorath and the coupe de grace, Alan Irvine.

Jewell was unlucky with the situation he inherited. Turner probably left us in better shape than he inherited us despite leaving us a division lower. Sturrock is probably the best manager we had under the old guard and Laws did a better job than I gave him credit for at the time.

The managers MM has appointed during his time as chairman/owner have all in a sense been a means to an end to push the club forward from a difficult position. Megson did the dirty work, Jones took the glory but surprisingly struggled with a restricted budget in the championship and Gray took over and has steadied the ship but looks to have found choppier waters and he might be asked to jump overboard sooner or later?

For me the club have to decide whether they keep spinning plates when it comes to managers and hope that one manages to stay in place and spin for five years or so or try something really different?

For me there's three types of Manager's they might go for. A proven championship manager with a promotion to the premier league on his CV, Allardyce, Pearson?

A left field foreign appointment not too dissimilar to when Swansea appointed Martinez?

Or finally a decorated ex pro from the modern game. Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes?

I personally think they might seriously consider the third option but there are no guarantees which ever direction they decide to take. All I'm asking for is for the club to try something different. If they did they might get a little bit of patience from the fans and who knows the club might even prosper?

we need a buzz around S6, our most successful eras all had personalities as managers, thats what a club our size needs, not a small time thinker, but someone with balls and personality. 

Overall we need a manager that players want to come and play for which SG seems to struggle with

For a long time now we've shown precious little imagination when it comes to appointing managers. As far back as the late 1990's Dave Richards toyed with the idea of something different. Troussier, Houlier and Passarella were all linked but he appointed dear old Danny and we all know what happened from that point on.

The old guard didn't have a scooby doo when it came to appointing Managers. Shreeves, Yorath and the coupe de grace, Alan Irvine.

Jewell was unlucky with the situation he inherited. Turner probably left us in better shape than he inherited us despite leaving us a division lower. Sturrock is probably the best manager we had under the old guard and Laws did a better job than I gave him credit for at the time.

The managers MM has appointed during his time as chairman/owner have all in a sense been a means to an end to push the club forward from a difficult position. Megson did the dirty work, Jones took the glory but surprisingly struggled with a restricted budget in the championship and Gray took over and has steadied the ship but looks to have found choppier waters and he might be asked to jump overboard sooner or later?

For me the club have to decide whether they keep spinning plates when it comes to managers and hope that one manages to stay in place and spin for five years or so or try something really different?

For me there's three types of Manager's they might go for. A proven championship manager with a promotion to the premier league on his CV, Allardyce, Pearson or Megson.

A left field foreign appointment not too dissimilar to when Swansea appointed Martinez?

Or finally a decorated ex pro from the modern game. Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes?

I personally think they might seriously consider the third option but there are no guarantees which ever direction they decide to take. All I'm asking for is for the club to try something different. If they did they might get a little bit of patience from the fans and who knows the club might even prosper?

Paul lambert - so we want more goals yeah? Let's give the man who couldn't get more goals than us with a far better squad and hugely coveted striker. We don't have that but you think his brand will be better?

I'm sure Norwich fans weren't overly concerned with a lack of goals when he was guiding them to back to back promotions.

The only argument people have against Lambert is this last season and they choose to ignore his record before then.

The plain and simple fact is however that Paul Lambert has something on his CV that Stuart Gray does not... Promotion to the Premier League.

If we were starting to build something good then you could argue for Gray to stay. The issue is the building will only really start in May/June and it's effectively a clean sheet for any manager, so Gray will need to be measured against the competition, which i'm sure the new owners will be doing. 

Stay. Settle new players in. Mid-table. Summer signings. Would like to see a new senior member of the coaching staff brought in. Something not right there. Or a Director of Football. Someone exciting and that makes folk sit up. I think there is far too much going on right now and I think that is impacting on SG.

Let's see how things pan out at the end of the season.

Edited by Freshfish

I don't really agree that we need someone who has got promoted from the championship before. I reckon the majority of people who do it were doing it for the first time. We just need someone with a personality and persona big enough to manage a huge club, who the players are going to respect/fear, and that they want to play for and try hard for. Also someone with good contacts in the game would be a bonus. One thing Redknapp always realised is football can be pretty easy, you just need to be able to attract and sign the best players possible. I think anyone believing Gray should stay are a little nieve, as who is a young player going to want to come and play for these days? Stuart Gray the former Northampton town manager, or XXX the former premier league and international star etc. you can fill your coaching staff with great coaches like Gray, but it's the figurehead that needs to be really special. And people are right no one really knows who sheffield Wednesday are anymore, the amount of times I tell people who I support and they either say "is that a club?" Or "what league are they in now?". we're at a stage where we need a manager with arguably a bigger reputation than the club has got now