In or Out?

Guest Carlo Ancelotti

Typical Blairites say out after Tuesday (when we don't win)

Don't have an opinion until it's too late.

Idiots.

Fine with mediocrity.

Paul lambert - so we want more goals yeah? Let's give the man who couldn't get more goals than us with a far better squad and hugely coveted striker. We don't have that but you think his brand will be better?

I keep repeating myself in threads, but people need to look at Lambert's record in the Football League.  Promoted with Norwich from L1 (top scorers that season), promoted following season from Championship (again - top scorers).  I can't be arsed to go into further details about why Villa was a poisoned chalice, I've done so in about fifty other threads.

As for Gray.  Out.  Bruce Lee nailed it on the first page.  No room for sentiment, and if we're serious about progress, we have to move on.

As for replacements, IF the new owners are serious, then people such as Lambert or Pearson (when he inevitably gets the boot) should be top of any shortlist.  Proven experience of getting out of this league.  They would struggle to get Premier League jobs, so they aren't beyond our reach if we actually have money.

The most important factor is that the owners need to make a decision.  If they want their own man, just do it.  A situation where Gray wins a game, and buys himself 3/4 more weeks, but the owners know they don't really want him, suits no one.  It needs to be a conviction decision.

Did he not come out and say that he wanted a winger but we failed to get them over the line? Do you just want us to sign anyone? Then youd say his signings are poo poo.

But it's a managers job to get signings over the line. You can't just sit back and say to the owners "oh well wingers don't want to sign for us".

If you work in a call centre and fail to get any interest from customers, you don't get a pat on the back and a "well you're doing a good job", you get fired and the boss tries using someone else. And yes, if Gray can't attract the best players he has to bring in the next best thing he can. Otherwise if you don't sign anyone you fall down the table, as we are now.

I like SG & think that he has done an incredible job with the resources at hand and given the mid table position that he has achieved, he deserves at least till the end of the season.

That said, if this run carries on for a few more games, I can see the new owners getting very nervous about their 30 million investment becoming a 3rd tier team and sacking him.

Stewie needs a couple of results and pronto.

If he was sacked, I'd look at:

Megson - Promoted out of this league in 01-02 & 03-04

Pearson - if ditched by Leicester - Promoted out of this league last year

Alex Mcleish - (I know eff hoff)- Promoted out of this league 08-09

Paul Lambert - Promoted out of this league 10-11

Brian McDermott - Promoted out of this league 11-12

No punts on young managers from the lower leagues like Karl Robinson or Warburton or foreign names such as Stam or Di  Canio

I like SG & think that he has done an incredible job with the resources at hand and given the mid table position that he has achieved, he deserves at least till the end of the season.

That said, if this run carries on for a few more games, I can see the new owners getting very nervous about their 30 million investment becoming a 3rd tier team and sacking him.

Stewie needs a couple of results and pronto.

If he was sacked, I'd look at:

Megson - Promoted out of this league in 01-02 & 03-04

Pearson - if ditched by Leicester - Promoted out of this league last year

Alex Mcleish - (I know eff hoff)- Promoted out of this league 08-09

Paul Lambert - Promoted out of this league 10-11

Brian McDermott - Promoted out of this league 11-12

No punts on young managers from the lower leagues like Karl Robinson or Warburton or foreign names such as Stam or Di Canio

No offence but this post really shows how differently we all feel about the club and what direction it should be taken in. The fact you'd rather have Megson, Mcleish or McDermott over a young highly rated manager is amazing, but I do respect your opinion. Genuine question, wouldn't you also say Paul Jewell would be a good choice? I think he's had two promotions from champ to prem so a better candidate than some you have mentioned. Edited by Southie_Owl

The scoreline didnt flatter us yesterday.

we played well in patches in the first half...It could have gone either way.

and all their 3 goals were spozzy and avoidable.

the difference in quality of players is huge.

Ward

Bryson

Lindgaard

Martin

None of those started, I know Martins injured, they'd all walk into our side IMO

Edited by parkerowl

Southie - I'm sure that there are numerous other managers who we could all pick out as our own personal shouts with the track record of being promoted. For example Keegan, promoted out of this league with Fulham, Jewell as you mention as well as Colin the Blunt. Unfortunately non of them are realistic......Keegan is all but retired, Jewell wouldn't come within 10 miles of S6 because of his previous disastrous stint and Warnock because of his obvious S2 allegiances. Ultimately the choice to either back SG or look somewhere else is down to our new owners. All we can do as fans is voice our opinions and hope for the best.

Personally,I hope SG can turn it around, but it ain't looking good for him at the moment.

Southie - I'm sure that there are numerous other managers who we could all pick out as our own personal shouts with the track record of being promoted. For example Keegan, promoted out of this league with Fulham, Jewell as you mention as well as Colin the Blunt. Unfortunately non of them are realistic......Keegan is all but retired, Jewell wouldn't come within 10 miles of S6 because of his previous disastrous stint and Warnock because of his obvious S2 allegiances. Ultimately the choice to either back SG or look somewhere else is down to our new owners. All we can do as fans is voice our opinions and hope for the best.

Personally,I hope SG can turn it around, but it ain't looking good for him at the moment.

I'm not advocating Paul Jewell in any sense but he has gone on record on the past as saying he would love another cracking at it as it's the one blemish on his record that he would like to put straight.

Let's look at the bigger picture here. This is the best season we've had in years. We're 12th in the championship despite the fact we're in a terrible run of form. We couldn't have dreamed of that a few years ago. Yes things aren't so great at the moment but for every team in the world a season has peaks and troughs and we just happen to be in a trough. In my honest opinion, this trough just represents some regression to the mean - look at the squad we've got, we just don't have the quality to be pushing for the play-offs, the takeover didn't mean we magically inherited a new squad, the fact that Gray even got us anywhere near shows his managerial skills. We are sorely lacking in attacking quality, when our best attacking player happens to be a striker who is one of the worst finishers I've ever seen it just goes to show you the dearth of quality. 

Quite a few are criticising Gray for not tackling this, I'll readily agree that the need for a winger is obvious but having a pop at Gray for being seemingly blind to this need is absolutely nonsensical, he's tried to sign a winger and for one reason or another it just hasn't worked out. Similarly, our home form is woeful, I'll readily agree but there are quite a few reasons - Gray likes to play football with the ball on the deck but the pitch is so appalling that this isn't really possible, we've also been screwed out of quite a few points by terrible refereeing decisions (Parr's handball for Ipswich's goal, May's goal against Bolton which was perfectly onside etc.) and we lack the sort of dynamic players in midfield to really take the game by the scruff of the neck, just as we lack a true goalscorer. This isn't Gray's fault, those sort of players are often over-priced (especially if they're English) and we never had access to the funds required until the point where we had three days to go in the January transfer window. I like his foreign signings as they generally represent better value, it shows he's got an eye to the future as they'll take time to bed in but can be just as effective as English players who would have cost twice as much. 

Football is full of short-termism at present which, in my opinion, is to the detriment of the game. It was very eye-opening when Pardew left Newcastle that he was the second-longest serving manager in the Premier League. Let's get a bit of continuity, keep plugging away even when the going gets tough and hopefully we reap the rewards. I don't think the alternatives to Gray are anywhere near enticing enough to get rid unless we were able to make a real coup and bring in someone like Allardyce or Laudrup, which just isn't going to happen. I'd be torn on Pearson, but the likes of Megson, Di Canio etc. would all run into problems just as large if not larger than the ones Gray is having. Give Gray some money to spend in the summer, let him get rid of the deadwood and really make his mark on our football team.

I like Stuart Gray. He's a man of integrity who the players seem to like, he was a breath of fresh air after the dour, poor man management of Dave Jones in his later days

Unfortunately Gray and his tactical naivety is costing us games, and the support is dwindling.

If we are going to really have a go under this new ownership I'd like to see us approach someone like Laudrup or Allardyce to take over in the summer. I do feel Gray should be given the rest of the season

Agree with the first bits - sad business this football manager lark and why I'd never want a legend to manage us because it almost always ends in tears

Never have supported knee jerk manager changes but I can feel the respect for last season switching to disappointment and now the shield of having to make do with a thin squad has gone I fear for him

Theres lots of managers out there that may be available, depending on how ambitious/wealthy the new owners are of course:

gary megson

Gianfranco Zola

Mark Warburton

Karl Robinson

Nigel Adkins

Paul Lambert

Tony Carr

Paolo Di Canio

Terry Burton

Jimmy Calderwood

Dennis Bergkamp

Roy Keane

Brian McDermott

George Burley

Alan Curbishley

Billy Davies

Roland Nilsson

John Sheridan

Simon Grayson

Phil Parkinson

Thats just a list of people I could think of, off the top of my head, that I realistically think we could attract, and are reasonable candidates!