In or Out?

we gave the bloke a contract till the end of next season in the 14 months he´s had so far we´ve improved 12 places and in profit on sales so why would you sack him ......

Because the goal posts have changed now under new ownership.

Nobody is going to shell out £30m to plod along. The financial benefits of the Premier League are so astronomical that we must be there.

Stuart is a nice guy and has done a fantastic job, no way will he be in charge next season though. I just hope and pray that the new owners are open to guidance in their recruitment and don't plump for someone like Bryan Robson.

Just watched the FLS and made a point of watching all the other teams when they attack; AT LEAST 6 players attack for all the other teams. Even when Keane scored we only had him, nuhiu and McGugan in a forward position.

This isn't a one off though next time we play, even at Hillsborough and even when we are drawing and losing, I urge you all to count how many we have in advances positions, and yoi won't be able to count more than 4.

This is the reason we don't score enough, not the inability of our strikers, and this is the reason that we need a change.

Amazing how some fans have got the blinkers in regarding our current results and the fact that lose midweek and we are right back in the thick of it with no sign of where the next win comes from.

Worrying times but it's ok,we are mid table.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Saxondale

Out. Boring safety first football. Has not addressed the season long lack of goals problem. Some of our early season clean sheets were down to miraculous saves from Westwood or glaring misses by the opposition. Seems stuck in an old fashioned way of doing things. We really need a young, hungry for success type, with a modern outlook and different coaching methods. Being a nice chap just doesn't cut it.

Just watched the FLS and made a point of watching all the other teams when they attack; AT LEAST 6 players attack for all the other teams. Even when Keane scored we only had him, nuhiu and McGugan in a forward position.

This isn't a one off though next time we play, even at Hillsborough and even when we are drawing and losing, I urge you all to count how many we have in advances positions, and yoi won't be able to count more than 4.

This is the reason we don't score enough, not the inability of our strikers, and this is the reason that we need a change.

I've noticed the gap between the centre midfield and the front two when attacking - its too big; sometimes 20/30 yrds apart. We seen to rely on the wide men to support, but they're not good enough and drift out. 

Murphy and Doyle at united seem to always press on and be in a position to get shots on goal. Not saying this is comparable but other than the free kick yesterday the centre midfield just don't score enough, or get near.

Thats the thing, he has the personality but he has been with Dave Jones for far too long and hes doing the exact same things as Jones.

Players who under perform each week still getting picked (remember Bothroyd?), same shocking set pieces (who was on the training ground under Jones?) One up front at home (Jones got hammered for that yet Gray has done this several times)... I could go on.

In my opinion, not much has changed since Jones, the manager is just a nicer bloke.

This ^

Same excuses; same dire performances, same fan divide, same hit and miss scattergun approach to player recruitment, and most of all same inconsistency. A big case of deja-vu.

Credit where credit is due, he earned the job with results but just like last season this season is fizzling out, we're sliding down the table with a poor home record, poor goalscoring record and dire form. But this season we ain't got the likes of Wickham, Fryatt, Best, Lita or Antonio to bail us out. I would suspect the new owner(s) once ratified won't settle for barely scraping by to safety by the skin of our nutsack each and every season at this level. For my opinion, its just a matter of time, as soon as ratification is declared, whether it be before the season ends or in the summer.

Football is a harsh business, its based on results and more often than not finance, it makes financial and football sense to axe Gray based on results, player recruitment, our home record and based upon the ambitions of the new owner(s).

In.....for now..

People are being a bit over exitable about our current form, flapping, panicking, arm waving... all I hear is ENTERTAIN ME NOW!!

its been three weeks....THREE WEEKS since our takeover...Now talking about Laudrup and Allardice...:)  We've had 15 years of tripe,  a few months patience wont change owt.

Most of the teams were playing have been planning with investment for months and years.

Lets see where we are near the end of the season and plan for the summer and only panic if we end up near the bottom..

calm down ffs

In, with a Director of Football to provide support in the transfer market and given the summer to recruit proven Championship-quality wingers and strikers.

When I look at our squad, I don't see a team who should be challenging towards the top of the table - I see a lower-mid table Championship side. Give Gray the tools to challenge and then we can say he's under performed if things don't work out.

As things stand, we're probably on par for where the players we have should be and our lack of squad depth is costing us badly.

I'd hardly say Megson was sagged off,the fan base has never been so United.There was an arrogance about the place,teams hated playing us,phrases such as we're Wednesday we'll do what we want and the city is ours were born.

He is on record as says he had built a squad to get out if league one but would need to build another squad for the championship.

Remember you don't choose Wednesday,Wednesday chooses you.

Amazing how time changes peoples perceptions and memories. The footy under him was terrible and he wouldn't have got us up the way things were at his time of departure.

Do you remember the Stevenage match? One of the worst performances I have ever seen

MOVE ON

I realise this is an open forum and everybody has a right to voice his or her opinion no matter how many others disagree. We live in a democracy afterall.

To that end I can quite understand people being divided on the subject of should our manager stay or go. However we have a manager, he has a contract and whether he goes or stays is up to

A) The new owners if and when they get ratified b the F.A.

B) Stuart Gray stepping down voluntarily.

I can quite see peoples view though with our alarming slump in form, goals etc. but I for one for now will give Stuart Gray the benefit of the doubt and support him ( for now ).

Although his team selections and substitutions are at times I must admit baffling. 

Sheffield Wednesday are like a man out in the wide BLUE ocean, treading water, we are not drowning yet but we are not going anywhere either. Keep treading water and yes sooner or later we will drown

unless rescue comes to hand.

I personally therefore would leave our current manager in charge for the moment. The new owners are not mugs, there are shrewd businessmen who will have done their  homework.

Once ratification comes through however I expect them to make a change swiftly. I will stay loyal to Stuart Grey but I expect him to be out before the daffodils.

I totally agree that the football is very poor at the moment. But I dont think it has always been like that, i.e. Leeds 6 nil. I dont think Gray goes out with the intention of playing boring football, it is probably a product of the lack of wingers and strikers we have at the club. That is not his fault - clearly he would like more players.

He has made some brilliant signings and I dont think many people could argue with the fact that he has over achieved. Kept us up somehow and has moved us forward with very little budget. 

For me I think he deserves a chance to put things right. He has the respect of all of the players which is important and I would like to see someone given a chance to build something over the longer-term and you cant do that if you keep sacking managers to progress. 

I think we are in for a very interesting few weeks once our new owners have the takeover ratified.

If as I suspect is done this week and it's on the back of a defeat to Millwall, then hopefully our owners will do the right thing and sack him.

If ratification comes on the back of a win at Millwall then he may buy himself a couple more weeks.

Either way, it's without a doubt in my mind that he really isn't the man to take us forward.

In, with a Director of Football to provide support in the transfer market and given the summer to recruit proven Championship-quality wingers and strikers.

When I look at our squad, I don't see a team who should be challenging towards the top of the table - I see a lower-mid table Championship side. Give Gray the tools to challenge and then we can say he's under performed if things don't work out.

As things stand, we're probably on par for where the players we have should be and our lack of squad depth is costing us badly.

I used to think that was the way to go too but I don't anymore. Even with some attacking players at his disposal now he is too negative in his tactics and substitutions. I also think he is too nice and players need a manager who they are more scared of or respect more to motivate them better.

Finally even with a famous DOF I don't think that will help attract players as players want to play for managers that they know/respect, not DOF's. For example you often hear players saying "I signed coz to play under XX as manager was a big attraction". It's never because of the DOF.

Also Gray has assembled this current squad and chose to sign a 3rd right back and 4th defensive midfielder in January, rather than improve the attacking play. We have Palmer, Buxton, Lees, Lee, Hutchinson, Young who could all play right back, yet he chose to spend the money on another player for that position instead of a winger. Which to me says a lot about his mentality.