In or Out?

No nerves touched here.

This was always going to be a tricky period for Gray. He has my support regardless of the result tomorrow night.

A month ago I would say the same. Since then, Gray has baffled and bemused. Thrown young unproven players straight in to the side, made bizzare subs, and generally ruined what made us steady and tough to beat. I said after the Bolton he shouldn't do it after just 1 defeat, he's done it and we've been poo poo since. Shot himself in the foot.

In, In, In.... why are we even contemplating changing manager! In Gray's time we have progressed, full stop. We should give him more time - especially now that there will soon be funds available, which he has not had in the past.

What happened to loyalty?

Some fans on here will call for a new manager after a few bad results, and name managers that they want to take over. A few months down the line they will be calling for the newer manager then to be sacked!  It's a never ending vicious circle.

Alex Ferguson took 4 years to get it right at Manchester Utd - he wouldn't have lasted that long with some of the fans on here.

Some fans on here will call for a new manager after a few bad results, and name managers that they want to take over. A few months down the line they will be calling for the newer manager then to be sacked!  It's a never ending vicious circle.

Alex Ferguson took 4 years to get it right at Manchester Utd - he wouldn't have lasted that long with some of the fans on here.

4 wins from 25 games is hardly a few bad results

I think he has earned most fans respect, plus his job and that of manager if he wants it. He has a very good working knowledge of football and has given us the most solid looking defence that we have had since the Wilkinson era (which had three centre halves and two wing backs). Plus Gray did that on a budget of £0.00 and was forced into selling his one and only proven attacking player in this division. He has competed with teams at the top of this division all season that have spent far in excess of us over the last few seasons and many of those teams spent more in January than we have spent over the last few years. 

Gray knockers point to Maghoma as evidence for the case against Gray, but Maghoma is the only player that Gray has got that has provided more than a couple of assists all season! Maghoma, a league 2 player that has spent most of his career in central midfield! As a case for Gray, how can we possibly be where we are in the division, when we have to rely on Maghoma as our main goal provider!

Give Gray the players he wants in the summer and I am sure that we will get some attacking players into the team that will not let him down. We are were we are now because of the open goals that players like May and Nuhiu have missed. I am amazed that so many on here slag off the strikers then blame the head coach when those same players keep missing. Stuart Gray has actually managed to polish not just one turd, but a whole squad full of them.

How many of the Gray out voters didn't want him in the first place? far too many would have had us playing under Ian Holloway, or a list of other failed managers, which amazingly included Colin W*nker!

Some fans on here will call for a new manager after a few bad results, and name managers that they want to take over. A few months down the line they will be calling for the newer manager then to be sacked! It's a never ending vicious circle.

Wow, really? If you don't think our current form and Gray's shortcomings are reason enough to be sacked then fair enough, but to suggest we'd also want his replacement sacked then that is just guessing. Personally this season I just wanted a team that isn't currently the worst performing team in the league and with the worst goal scoring in our clubs history.

And maybe there was reason to have more faith in Ferguson seeing as he had won 4 league titles and 8 cups including the cup winners cup. Whereas Gray has been sacked for underperformaning at Northampton and no other clubs have deemed him good enough to be a manager

my issue with Gray is that he hasnt addressed the issues we have had from day one this season.

Earlier in the season we were solid at the back but poor elsewhere... now we seem to have lost our only difference as teams get to know us and Loovens is out injured.

He failed in January imo, and for that he will be lucky to last the season

Edited by modboy

Nooo I'd rather keep Gray if that was the choice. I always felt McDermott is a coach and not a manager.

My feelings also!

Listen I see SG shortcomings as much as the next one , our form is inexcusable and nobody can defend it especially at Hillsborough and ultimately I think we will make a change because we rightly demand to move forward and I'm not sure SG will have the capability to move us onto the next level which is a top 6 championship side

I think he's clearly struggled on the recruitment front , not all his own doing imo but that's where we will all have different views and opinions

My reasoning for not jumping up with delight at the prospect of him going right now is i just do not see any suitable candidates out there that I think we can attract ! People suggesting your Lamberts/Hoddles/Bergkamps/Laudrups are just showing themselfs up to be honest I can't see us been attractive enough to someone of that calibre and i think our fans don't always see this and that's why 70/80% will de dissapointed with whoever we bring in

Warburtons done a cracking job at brentford, he's transformed the whole club and there having great success but how long would it take him to have a similar impact here ?! Sorry but I just dont think our fanbase would afford somebody like him the time to do the job

No ,I really do not want Pearson.

Top bloke when he was an owl but I don't see anything great about him as a manager.Infact I see a few bad points.

He was a defender and although one of the better we had he wasn't technically great.He was just a good shouter and player who gave his all.

But as far as managing goes,just don't see anything in him.

No he only pissed the league with Leicester last season and got them to the play offs the year before that. In his previous spell at Leicester he got them to the play offs ( on a Mandaric budget) so how on earth you can say you don't see anything in him is ridiculous.

In, In, In.... why are we even contemplating changing manager! In Gray's time we have progressed, full stop. We should give him more time - especially now that there will soon be funds available, which he has not had in the past.

What happened to loyalty?

Someone posted on here previously that we have one point more than we did at the same time last season. if its true, then only pedantically could anyone argue about that being progress.

Paul Lambert

Nigel Adkins

Brian McDermott

For me they'd be the 3 front runners if the job did become available, and I don't think Lambert would touch it unless he was given substantial money

Paul Lambert

Nigel Adkins

Brian McDermott

For me they'd be the 3 front runners if the job did become available, and I don't think Lambert would touch it unless he was given substantial money

I'm quickly falling out with Gray but I'd have him above any of those three ^^^^^^

Has anybody any idea how much all the championship squads cost and where we come in that list?

A fans footy forum (http://) listed what they thought their squads cost around November 2014, which is obviously not 100% accurate, but gives an idea.

Bournemouth £8.5M

Reading £8-8.5M

Norwich £55M

Middlesborough £8M

Cardiff £29M

Huddersfield £6.4M

Wolves £8.1M

Wigan £30M+

I think our squad cost less than £2.5M which includes Madine at £850K. Four of these teams are below us and these teams are not all the big spenders. Bolton, Brighton, Fulham, Blackburn, Forest and even filthy l**ds have spent more than us on their squads, so if we were in the bottom 3 or 4 then we could perhaps argue about being one position up or down from where we should be on budget, but we are not. We are way above where we should be on budget and I would love to see the Gray knockers suggest where we would be if Gray had been able to spend between £4M and £51M on his squad and whether players costing that kind of money would have missed as many goals as our front line have. I am guessing that having a couple of real wingers at a million or two apiece would have boosted us into the top 6 and would people still be clamouring for Gray to go then?

Yes maybe some still would.

You dont need to spend big. He definately didnt need to spend big, but instead either wasted money on players we didnt really need eg that lad from Man Utd, and/or was unable to attract the players needed.

Lets face it in january all we needed was a winger and half decent striker. We are still waiting for both.

my issue with Gray is that he hasnt addressed the issues we have had from day one this season.

Earlier in the season we were solid at the back but poor elsewhere... now we seem to have lost our only difference as teams get to know us and Loovens is out injured.

He failed in January imo, and for that he will be lucky to last the season

To be honest the above is my issue with Milan (gets tin hat ready)

You dont need to spend big. He definately didnt need to spend big, but instead either wasted money on players we didnt really need eg that lad from Man Utd, and/or was unable to attract the players needed.

Lets face it in january all we needed was a winger and half decent striker. We are still waiting for both.

The lad that scored 2 of our last 4 goals? Yeah Gray did badly with that low cost deal. I suspect that MM would have financed the deal if DC had not bought us at the time, but hardly the kind of deal that Gray would have been dreaming of if he was given a list of top quality finishers to buy. I don't think Keane had scored a single league goal before he came here, so again, for my money a very good deal by Gray, if he had anything at all to do with it.

When we are told that DC has financed players that Gray wanted, this summer hopefully , and they all trun out to be rubbish, then I would expect some kind of backlash against Gray, but not when he has kept us in the top half of the division for pretty much all season on somebody elses squad plus a couple of free signings of his own who have both turned out to be top players for us.

Back him, don't sack him!