Left backs!!

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Worthington was also the team's unofficial enforcer but he went about it in such subtle fashion. The guy was as hard as nails.

Like a silent assassin, his target would never see him coming, then wallop, followed by quiet stroll away

as opposed to Danny Wilson and Leighton Palmers in your face style

4 hours ago, Rogers said:

That best Wednesday side got me thinking..of a best ever team and I started thinking of left backs. 

Nigel Worthington, Phil King, Andy Hinchcliffe, Daniel Pudil, and who!! Dean Stefanovic in the odd game. 

We had some cracking players over the years in nearly every position, but I was struggling with left back.

Worthington was there for years, but I really cannot put my finger on it;  was he great or was he average? 

Who is our best left back of all time? 

Worthington …. 7 /10 every week

Totally dependable . Never let us down 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rogers said:

That best Wednesday side got me thinking..of a best ever team and I started thinking of left backs. 

Nigel Worthington, Phil King, Andy Hinchcliffe, Daniel Pudil, and who!! Dean Stefanovic in the odd game. 

We had some cracking players over the years in nearly every position, but I was struggling with left back.

Worthington was there for years, but I really cannot put my finger on it;  was he great or was he average? 

Nigel Worthington is my all time hero, but I’m from Belfast so biased! I actually think he was genuinely quality though - high work rate, good cross 

“Steady Nige” as me and my mates called him. 

Considering the number of big games he played in and quality players he played against, the only real error I can remember him making was against Coventry I think in the 87 Cup QF. Quiet and ungainly, he was one of the unsung heroes of that early 90s team.

Hinchcliffe was a more talented footballer though. People say he was always injured but he played 109 games in the three seasons prior to us going down so that’s not bad at all. Plus he was a regular in the England squad.

These two surely stand out above all others in the last 50 years, with the likes of King and Pudil coming next 

4 hours ago, Pieman said:

Irish. Might not have had skill to ghost past players, but he never ever made a mistake, did the simple stuff, made teams and units tick. Mr reliable. Read the game impeccably and was positionally astute. Strong, athletic, a true competitor and made other players around him look better. I can’t ever remember anyone besting him and he played against the cream of right wingers.

Worthington on the left and Nilsson right, and then Palmer protecting the defence. That certainly contributed to finishing third. That team will probably be the best Wednesday I get to see in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

Easily Irish in my time, solid and dependable. LB is a position that you don't want a player to have a nightmare in and Irish rarely had a nightmare against anyone put in front of him.

8 hours ago, Rogers said:

Recollections may vary: You and me must have been watching different Stefanovic's by the sound of it. Think I was watching Dejan while you were watching Dean! 😆

8 hours ago, Pieman said:

Irish. Might not have had skill to ghost past players, but he never ever made a mistake, did the simple stuff, made teams and units tick. Mr reliable. Read the game impeccably and was positionally astute. Strong, athletic, a true competitor and made other players around him look better. I can’t ever remember anyone besting him and he played against the cream of right wingers.

Thought he was rubbish but every time he didn't play we were the poorer for his absence. 

Very underated