Left backs!!

That best Wednesday side got me thinking..of a best ever team and I started thinking of left backs. 

Nigel Worthington, Phil King, Andy Hinchcliffe, Daniel Pudil, and who!! Dean Stefanovic in the odd game. 

We had some cracking players over the years in nearly every position, but I was struggling with left back.

Worthington was there for years, but I really cannot put my finger on it;  was he great or was he average? 

Who is our best left back of all time? 

All time would probably be Ernie Blenkinsop, with Don Megson second?

In my era (90s onwards) Worthington was never my favourite player, can't really remember why. Before his knees started expanding to the size of watermelons, I thought Hinchcliffe was class. Probably some of the best corners ever, proper fizzed inswingers. Took a mean free-kick too.

Worthington could whip in a cross better than any of them, and was a solid defender with a strong tackle if needed

*caveating Hinchcliffe, if biscuit legs could have played more than 2 games in a row for a prolonged period

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Irish for me, top player, did a very good job when Big Fat Ron pushed him further forward as well

He did. Was that with King at left back? My dad would always scream go on Irish when he overlapped. 100% effort every game. A Wednesday great in my eyes. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Irish. Might not have had skill to ghost past players, but he never ever made a mistake, did the simple stuff, made teams and units tick. Mr reliable. Read the game impeccably and was positionally astute. Strong, athletic, a true competitor and made other players around him look better. I can’t ever remember anyone besting him and he played against the cream of right wingers.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Ponte_Owl85 said:

Pudil, since I've been going anyway 

Amazing the first six months and clearly the best since the 90s , however towards the end of the season you could see his legs going with every game he played. 

was surprised when we signed him in a permanent. 

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Worthington was also the team's unofficial enforcer but he went about it in such subtle fashion. The guy was as hard as nails.

He was certainly went about clearing it in a subtle fashion when stood on the post trying to defend those Steve Bruce headers.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1