Your favourite Wednesday side

84/84 team , Unlucky not to be crowned Champions and very nearly 2 Cup Semi Finals as well. 

Certainly felt robbed vs Liverpool at home. 

Southampton match list in the vagaries of time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baldrick said:

True but Hirsty stepped up at the end of that season and is still our last scorer in a cup final (not including Waddle in the replay 😄

Only because we had no fit centre halves though, which was our downfall 😉

• Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 23:12, paulrs said:

Probably have to say 92/93. Took the core of the excellent 91 cup winning team and added Waddle, Bright, Warhurst, Woods, Anderson, Bart-Williams and Jemson… what a team. Such a travesty they didn’t win one of the cups that year, it would’ve cemented them in Wednesday legend even more. Superbly balanced, great to watch, some huge personalities and international stars and brilliant kits that season too.

This all day long. It was a dream team. Just bad luck (and possibly excessive lifestyles) that stopped them being world beaters. 

• Like 1

91 as to be mine what a season that was  john harkes goal at derby chelsea semi final justa couple , i went to almost every game that season and most were like home games 🤣🤣 port Vale away needed to win but drew 1-1 remember some Sunday league game getting interrupted by hundreds of wednesdayites and last game Oldham away more fans out side and watched the full game sat on a trailer in the lorry park over looking the away end , priceless memories 😊😊

• Like 2

On 15/03/2024 at 03:14, Basement Jack said:

While the 91-93 sides were probably the best side with a trophy 

For me the one I remember most fondly was Wilko’s promotion wining side of 83-84

Lyons, Bannister, Varadi, Megson Shelton Sterland Worthington………

Really good team and all in an era when football was more football and less business.

Absolutely the same for me. Probably also to do with age at the time, to follow Wednesday in the eighties from late teens to early twenties was a great time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Favourite Owls Team in the last 50years since i've started following them Home and Away.

1. 1990/91 Big Ron
  2. 1983/84 Sgt Wilko
  3. 1992/93 Tricky Trev
  4. 2011/12 Gary Megson / Dave Jones
  5. 2004/05 Paul Strurrock.
  • Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 23:32, Ponte_Owl85 said:

That could be it. It was something along those lines 

It was all to do with superstition (before Stevie Wonder). We’d worn ‘All White’ in the previous rounds and wanted to play in All White in the final. Everton were happy to go along with that.

We lost…..so much for superstition!!

The 1958-9 2nd division championship side.  I was only eleven years old and only just hooked on football.   I thought it was always going to be like that. Never seen us win any league in the 65 years since, even with eleven years total in the 'pub league '.

I feel like I'm supporting Barmston United nowadays.  😢

• Love 1

On 14/03/2024 at 22:41, Rogers said:

1st

1991-1992.  The side that came 3rd in the league. 

2nd

1990-1991 - League Cup winners

3rd

1992-93 - Waddle & Co

4th

Carlos' team that got to Wembley..Loovens & Co.   Played well as a team and scored some crackers on the way. 

5th

Wilko mid 80s team.  Chapman, Shelton, & Co. Held their own after promotion

Agree with your 1st and 2nd, however I would have to go with the 83/84 team,best season ever and meant would see us in the First Division for the first time.

• Love 1

On 14/03/2024 at 23:32, Ponte_Owl85 said:

That could be it. It was something along those lines 

I remember them wearing the white kit at at least one home cup tie in the early 70s. Chelsea maybe?

13 minutes ago, Kentowl said:

I remember them wearing the white kit at at least one home cup tie in the early 70s. Chelsea maybe?

1973 v Cheslea at home in the cup. We wore plain white shirts, blue shorts and white socks.

Chelsea wore their away kit of that time, red shirts, white shorts and green socks. Yes, terrible.

There was an FA rule around that time that if there was a kit clash both teams changed.

It wasn't strictly enforced as sometimes the away kits clashed as well.

Whilst I loved the des walker, Roland Nielsen, David Hirst, Chris waddle era etc….

my best team was season one under Carlos after years of watching tripe 

we were transformed into an exciting attacking team taking the game to every one 

beating Arsenal at Hillsborough convincingly and getting the recognition from other fans I can’t remember ever being so behind and proud of the team

the optimism for the future was through the roof.

then chansiri slowly ripped the infrastructure apart the recruitment panel, mandaric left then that CEO then we quickly fell apart and started seeing the chansiri stewardship 

that first season though, wow 

1991 all the way for me (even though the 92 and 93 sides were stronger)

First up, let's be brutally honest, most of us on this site ain't gonna live to see us win a major trophy again. 

Then, apart from Dalian (RIP), who we made very good money on at the time, the rest of the squad stayed loyal after relegation. I mean, Roland Nilsson playing 2nd tier football is just ridiculous. 

The team had great blend of 'old school' Wednesday stalwarts: Madden, Shirtliff, Worthington, Turner. Classy veterans: McCall, Mackenzie, Viv. Trevor Francis (RIP), would come on for the last 10 mins of a game and comfortably be the best player in the division. Plus Kingy, Hirst, Palmer, Pressman knocking on the England 'B' door. 

Nigel Pearson: Rock solid skipper.

Sheri and Palmer, the best 'good cop/bad cop' midfield duo in the country. 

Paul Williams: the most criminally underrated player in SWFC history.

John Harkes: some mullated dude signed from a pi55-poor US league for about £100k, should've been sh*e - was actually mint.

Danny Wilson: people roll their eyes when they think of his spell as manager, but remember the cojones of the guy in that side. A proper little midfield terrier. 

Hirsty: Don't need to explain any further...

Above all, though, it was Big Ron that made that whole setup special, magical even. He just elevated us a club, made us feel 'famous'.  There simply wasn't another manager in England you'd have swapped him for. THAT'S why it hurt so much when he went to Villa. Our reaction was actually the highest compliment we could have paid him. 

Oh, and finally, both our kits were absolute beauts.

• Love 2