Your favourite Wednesday side

53 minutes ago, andypandy said:

The league cup and promotion team for me, great day out at Wembley to top it off, favourite player at the time, was Paul Williams, underrated by some, but did so much work.

Did you ‘like his legs’

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Rogers said:

1st

1991-1992.  The side that came 3rd in the league. 

2nd

1990-1991 - League Cup winners

3rd

1992-93 - Waddle & Co

4th

Carlos' team that got to Wembley..Loovens & Co.   Played well as a team and scored some crackers on the way. 

5th

Wilko mid 80s team.  Chapman, Shelton, & Co. Held their own after promotion

This. I’m in full agreement.

I did enjoy selected moments of big Jacks team …. Bolder, Blackhall, Sterland, Smith, Shirtcliff, Megson, Taylor, Mirocevic, Curren, Bannister, McCulloch, etc. Hopelessly inconsistent but fun at times.

12 hours ago, Rogers said:

1st

1991-1992.  The side that came 3rd in the league. 

2nd

1990-1991 - League Cup winners

3rd

1992-93 - Waddle & Co

4th

Carlos' team that got to Wembley..Loovens & Co.   Played well as a team and scored some crackers on the way. 

5th

Wilko mid 80s team.  Chapman, Shelton, & Co. Held their own after promotion

This. Though I only vaguely remember Sgt Wilko's team!

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

Wilko's promotion winning team ,not the best skill wise but fitness  pace power and will to win just ran sides into the ground  .

Mine too, loved Zico, Banno, Varadi, Megson, Shelton and co.  So many other sides couldn't deal with the style of play.  It seemed to be the same team every week...... probably was

• Like 3

The correct answer is obviously the early 90s team, but I think in 10 years or so time a few of us will look back fondly on last seasons squad too - Stockdale or Dawson with a bit of personality in goal, Flint, McGuinness, Ihiekwe with some proper old-school defence at the back, Palmer and Johnson tearing down the wings, Vaulks and Byers getting stuck in with Bannan orchestrating things then Windass, Gregory and Smith scoring goals for fun up front. Plus a few cult heros like Patto, Jack Hunt, Adeniran making cameo appearances.

My other shout would be for Big Ron II - Di Canio, Rudi, Carbone, Alexandersson, a handsome Brazilian centre back, plus Des Walker, Pressman, Hinchcliffe, etc. all strutting their stuff. They didn't win away much, but were great to watch at Hillsboro. Played Fergie's soon-to-be treble team off the park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meadows said:

That 25 minute spell at Blackburn 😍

He had Colin Hendry backpedaling , turning one way, then the other and before he worked out what to do Warhurst had drilled the ball in the net.

Of course, rather than run the risk of facing him again Blackburn decided to buy him.

Brian laws 06/07 side as it was my first proper season watching Wednesday.

had us playing some good football with a partnership of tudgay and burton up top.

all came crashing down when our best players were sold the following summer.

also the 2012 team

• Like 1

77-78. Not because they were worldbeaters by any description but  with Jacks arrival - we stopped losing so many and started to win a few - previous seasons from 70-71 when I first got interested were dire - just feel as though a corner was being turned - Tommy Tynan scored goals -regularly -  no one since warboys & joicey  had someone done this 

• Like 1

77-78. Not because they were worldbeaters by any description but  with Jacks arrival - we stopped losing so many and started to win a few - previous seasons from 70-71 when I first got interested were dire - just feel as though a corner was being turned - Tommy Tynan scored goals -regularly -  no one since warboys & joicey  had someone done this 

10 hours ago, Mr Meadows said:

That 25 minute spell at Blackburn 😍

Absolutely unreal mate, travelling to the game every week knowing you’d watching Waddle and Warhurst was exciting itself, Warhurst was so fast and was a brilliant forward always in the right place at the right time, should never ever have sold him 

The 2005 team has a special feeling for me. 

Just because most of them weren’t actually very good, but the determination and bond in the squad was so strong. It made them very likeable. 

The team was littered with limited footballers of real character or personality- Bullen, Lee Peacock, McGovern, Lucas, Heckingbottom. 

There was only a sprinkling of quality (a young Brunt and Whelan, MacLean at a push) but they were so tight knit and it was a team that made you proud. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Hirst was injured for most of it 😁 but every cloud has a Paul Warhurst 😉

True but Hirsty stepped up at the end of that season and is still our last scorer in a cup final (not including Waddle in the replay 😄

2011/12 was a brilliant team. I know they don’t compare to the true great sides in terms of ability but you know players like Semedo, Llera, Reda and Jones all gave everything for the club. 

Some great games along the way and pipping that lot for 2nd place with the game against Wycombe. I was so proud to be a Wednesday fan walking away from the ground that day. 

Honourable mention to Carlos first season scoring great goals with quality players like Lee, Loovens, Forestieri, Bannan and co. Brighton playoff game was special.

And last year the ups and downs and then Peterborough followed by Wembley. 

I love this club! I wish I didn’t but I do. 

16 hours ago, Basement Jack said:

While the 91-93 sides were probably the best side with a trophy 

For me the one I remember most fondly was Wilko’s promotion wining side of 83-84

Lyons, Bannister, Varadi, Megson Shelton Sterland Worthington………

Really good team and all in an era when football was more football and less business.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Not the best or most successful team of my decades watching Wednesday, but that team gave everything, were brave, strong, skillful, made you proud and generated some wonderful memories.

Wilkinson's first couple of seasons felt very special, he had leadership and ambition rarely seen before or since. And maybe if the 91 to 93 squad had been managed as professionally off the pitch, they might have actually won more.

• Like 1