Your favourite Wednesday side

What was your favourite Wednesday team? Mine was as a nipper the 1992-1993 team, for a whole host of reasons. Obviously the 91 team similarly.

However I reckon those 2012 and 2005 squads and team for actually platonic loving them were close. The togetherness was incredible on and off the pitch. 

So who were your favourite team? As above it's not necessarily the best.

Honourable shout out to Brian Laws teams 

1st

1991-1992.  The side that came 3rd in the league. 

2nd

1990-1991 - League Cup winners

3rd

1992-93 - Waddle & Co

4th

Carlos' team that got to Wembley..Loovens & Co.   Played well as a team and scored some crackers on the way. 

5th

Wilko mid 80s team.  Chapman, Shelton, & Co. Held their own after promotion

• Like 7

2011-12 just because it was the first season I started going regularly. My dad had always taken me as and when he could before then but only the odd game a season. Someone I'd started working with was from Sheffield and was a wednesdayite and gave me a lift and then I just started going by myself. What a season that was too!

1 minute ago, Musn't Grumble said:

The '66 team was pretty good, too... McCalliog, Ford, Ron Springett, Don Megson, Wilf Smith, etc.

No doubt about that, every one a Wednesday hero.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

No doubt about that, every one a Wednesday hero.

Worth reminding folks that they never played a home tie in that 1966 FA Cup run. Every round away from home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Worth reminding folks that they never played a home tie in that 1966 FA Cup run. Every round away from home.

Isn't that why they wore the white kit in the final? I'm sure someone told me that. Before my time 

6 minutes ago, Ponte_Owl85 said:

Isn't that why they wore the white kit in the final? I'm sure someone told me that. Before my time 

It used to be a coin throw as to which team was "home" (and used the home changing rooms) and which team was "away". I can only assume that Everton won the throw because they played in their first team colours (blue shirt, white shorts, blue socks) and, as you say, Wednesday played in all white.

The teams who Wednesday played en route to the final included Reading, Blackburn, Chelsea, Huddersfield - all play in blue and white - so I think there was a touch of the "lucky all white stripe" about it, too.

• Thanks 1

Probably have to say 92/93. Took the core of the excellent 91 cup winning team and added Waddle, Bright, Warhurst, Woods, Anderson, Bart-Williams and Jemson… what a team. Such a travesty they didn’t win one of the cups that year, it would’ve cemented them in Wednesday legend even more. Superbly balanced, great to watch, some huge personalities and international stars and brilliant kits that season too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Musn't Grumble said:

It used to be a coin throw as to which team was "home" (and used the home changing rooms) and which team was "away". I can only assume that Everton won the throw because they played in their first team colours (blue shirt, white shorts, blue socks) and, as you say, Wednesday played in all white.

The teams who Wednesday played en route to the final included Reading, Blackburn, Chelsea, Huddersfield - all play in blue and white - so I think there was a touch of the "lucky all white stripe" about it, too.

Thanks.  I just remember someone saying they wore it because they'd worn it every game that cup. They must have been talking bllx then 😄

2 minutes ago, Ponte_Owl85 said:

Thanks.  I just remember someone saying they wore it because they'd worn it every game that cup. They must have been talking bllx then 😄

It might have been that Wednesday won the call with the coin and dedcided to play in all white anyway. Your mate might not be talking rubbish after all!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

It might have been that Wednesday won the call with the coin and dedcided to play in all white anyway. Your mate might not be talking rubbish after all!

That could be it. It was something along those lines 

While the 91-93 sides were probably the best side with a trophy 

For me the one I remember most fondly was Wilko’s promotion wining side of 83-84

Lyons, Bannister, Varadi, Megson Shelton Sterland Worthington………

Really good team and all in an era when football was more football and less business.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rogers said:

1st

1991-1992.  The side that came 3rd in the league. 

2nd

1990-1991 - League Cup winners

3rd

1992-93 - Waddle & Co

4th

Carlos' team that got to Wembley..Loovens & Co.   Played well as a team and scored some crackers on the way. 

5th

Wilko mid 80s team.  Chapman, Shelton, & Co. Held their own after promotion

100% this

9 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

What was your favourite Wednesday team? Mine was as a nipper the 1992-1993 team, for a whole host of reasons. Obviously the 91 team similarly.

However I reckon those 2012 and 2005 squads and team for actually platonic loving them were close. The togetherness was incredible on and off the pitch. 

So who were your favourite team? As above it's not necessarily the best.

Honourable shout out to Brian Laws teams 

Brian Laws 2006-2007 season.

• Like 2