Owls v Bristol City Match Day Thread

22 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Is big Dom back or only on the way back? I know he’s training, but has he had any U21 minutes?

Good point, I thought as we've seen him in full training he might make the bench? but could be getting carried away. Either way we have to be careful with him.

5 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

It’s another must win. My daughter’s first game tomorrow. Feel quite cruel taking her to be honest, will be years of Wednesday heartbreak ahead for her. 

Fixed it for you.

But taking your kids to the game is magical.

Well done sir. 

• Thanks 1

It’s crazy, I feel the anticipation before each game. And the situation we are in, I think today is a must win, however we in, I don’t care. If we do, every chance we are 1 point off safety. We need that momentum. Will give everyone massive belief and confidence. Forget the other games, somehow we just have to win 🤞 

Another high pressure game like all the remaining games now.  But I believe we will survive after a 1-0 today.  And I'll be keeping me eye on Rovrum doing us a favour against QPR.  UTO.  See you this afternoon all!

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY v BRISTOL CITY

Saturday 24th Feb – KO 3pm

We welcome Bristol City to our magnificent stadium.

I love Bristol and in particular the Bristolian accent. Always have. I looked for some short video examples of the rich, warming accent, from the likes of Stephen Merchant or Ian Holloway, but instead, YouTube led me to something I never ever knew. Apparently, when speaking, the good folk of Bristol add an L onto the end of most words that end in a vowel. Bingo becomes Bingol, potato becomes potatol etc etc… I never knew that. Here’s a BBC interviewer asking Bristolians about it:

One of Bristol City’s most loved and most successful managers was a fella by the name of Alan Dix (not spelt with an x but if I spell it the correct way the swear filter isn’t going to play). He even took them to the Prem, or 1st Division in old money. There’s a lovely story about the latter days of his reign at City, early 80s, when they’d begun to decline, and the fans were falling out of love with him. Supposedly, City fans took banners to a home game, proclaiming “Dix Out”. 

Good eh? But wait, it gets better. Apparently, it was a game against Derby County, managed by Arthur Cox….you’ve guessed it; Cox was just as unpopular with the Derby fans (nothing changes there) so the Derby fans brought banners calling for “Cox Out”.  

“Dix Out” and “Cox Out” at the same match – brilliant!  Accrington Stanley have a new Goalkeeping coach called Neil Tietz. If ever he gets the Manager’s job, I’m getting a season ticket.

Let’s look at how City’s current manager, Liam Manning, is doing. My sincere thanks to City fan @Jerseybean who kindly sent me the following. Really appreciate that mate 👏👏. Hope you lose of course, but please give Swansea, Plymouth, Huddersfield and Stoke a good spanking for us, if you’d be so kind:

“Liam Manning is settling as our new Head Coach after the hierarchy made the surprise decision, back in the autumn, to dispense with popular Nigel Pearson after defeat at Cardiff.

How's the season gone so far?

A right mixed bag. Beaten the teams below us, fared less well against the teams above us. Injuries haven’t helped. On our day we’ve looked good, and even when losing by the odd goal away at both Leeds and Leicester we gave a reasonable account of ourselves, but there was an undoubted quality gap. That’s parachute payments for you.

We are pretty solid defensively, but goals have been hard to come by at the other end. That is reflected by 38 goals for and 36 against from 32 matches.

We are about as mid-table as you can be - apart from being very slightly above average in the league table where we are 11th. I know most fans will say this, but we’ve probably left a few points out there on the pitch too. We are a tough team to play against when our better players are fit and available.” 

Thanks Jerseybean. Quality. Always welcome on here. 

“Mid-table”. Sounds amazing, doesn’t it? What we’d give to be mid-table. And yet, daft as it sounds, this is a game between two evenly matched teams. Here’s our respective form since we drew at home to Leicester:

Wednesday P16 W7 D2 L7 Pts 23   

Bristol City   P16 W5 D4 L7 Pts 19   

Whatever timeframe you look at over recent months, say the last 8 games, last 12 games etc…the two teams would be close. Our match would be a care-free game between two mid-table teams, had we not been handed a 15-point penalty by our very own kryptonite, Munõz the Magnificent.

Absolutely nothing to choose between the two sides. Maybe we go in with more desire, as surely City don’t really think they can overhaul the six teams they’d need to pass to make the play-offs. Nine games ago they were one point off 6th place but since then they’ve hit the buffers with only 9 points and two wins from nine games (we’ve 13 points and 4 wins – we don’t do draws do we?).

But they do have pretty decent recent away form:

Boro 2-1 W

Coventry 2-2 D

Preston 0-2 L

Birmingham 0-0 D

They also enjoyed a totally unexpected home beating of Southampton, but hopefully last Saturday’s defeat at home to QPR will have burst their balloon. Seemingly City were awful. 

And let’s not forget how tight the return fixture was. An undeserved 1-0 defeat, despite Bannan’s unjust red card in the 30th minute. That came from some suicidal playing out from the back. There were clear signs at Millwall that Danny might have tempered our use of playing out. I’m hoping we continue to see a bit less of it from now on.

City are largely injury-free. Scott Twine is back this weekend. (Is it just me or does he seem to be in every team we play?) They did lose a midfielder to injury this week, Sam Bell. It looks a potential season-ending one. If the Bristol Evening Post doesn’t run with the headline “Bell End?” the journo should be drummed out of the National Union of Journalists.

The bookies can barely call it. They’ve Wednesday as very slight favourites. I think that’s spot on at Hillsborough.

If we go behind, chill. Who can forget this come-back, courtesy of Kieran Lee? I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my son for persuading me to leave at 2-2. I’ll never forget the third goal cheer……..as we were walking down Leppings Lane towards the car. Thanks son.

Who will Danny pick? I wouldn’t change a thing. We’ve had a full week to recover from mauling the Lions, and if it ain’t broken…

Beadle

Pol  Palmer  Ihiekwel  Bernard  Marvel 

Povedal  Vaulks  Bannan  Musabal

Ugbol   

By the way, that’s 8 (eight!) changes from the side which started at Ashton Gate on 4th November. The bench could look a lot stronger too, with Iorfa back available according to Danny.  

After that superb win at Millwall, and with Rotherham and Plymouth to follow, 3 points against City would put us in unbelievable shape to pass a few rivals over the next 10 days. We can do this!!

I can’t wait for 3pm, and yet I’m expecting to sit there hating every single minute of it. I can’t see there being more than one goal in it, so I’m guaranteed 95 minutes of anguish, stress and pain. Extra statins and alcohol on stand-by. 

Who’d be a football fan, eh? 

COYOL 💙🦉🦉💙

Danny, Danny Röhl💙💙💙💙

Absolutely brilliant as ever. Thank you.

COYOL - excellent touch there @Holmowl

• Thanks 1