Ben Heneghan

12 minutes ago, SiJ said:

If we can bring Dean in and this guy is sort of the backup to him, then it could be a sensible move. 

Dean worries me though, never been injured in his life and within 10 minutes of arriving at S6 boom!

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, owlprince said:

I’m very underwhelmed by him and stockdale too. If we wanted a big lump centre half would rather have kept dunkley but as you e mentioned we must cut our cloth accordingly. 

Looking at these makes me think we should have cashed out on windass.  Hopefully we can pick up a few rough diamonds I’ve got the faith in DM to make good decisions. 

Why not give him a chance before classing him as a big lump. Our fan base astounds me sometimes. 

To be honest I remember last summer I couldn’t wait to see Lewis wing thought he would be a class above .. we know how that turned out . Then I wasn’t sure on Marvin Johnson after a blades mate said he was pants . Arguably one of our best players last year . 

moral the story is you never know how they will perform . Years gone by Remember how buzzing we were to sign Almen abdi and Rhodes . 
How Leeds fans told us lees was rubbish.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Why not give him a chance before classing him as a big lump. Our fan base astounds me sometimes. 

Your right, I’ve overreacted there and I am willing to give him a chance but the fact that critchley didn’t want him at Blackpool and then he has been a mainstay in a ******** poor team that have leaked goals over the last two seasons doesn't fill me with confidence that he is a ball playing maestro at the back. Hope he turns out to be a solid player for us but my expectations are low.  

also I know I said I’m underwhelmed by stockdale but if you look at it logically we are signing one of the best keepers in the division from last year and taking him from a rival to boot. I’d also like to see Dawson be given a go and for there to be some competition for the start. I think both are good enough to be part of a promotion winning side next season. 

• Like 2

On paper it looks a very uninspired signing, kicking about the lower leagues for most of his career, albeit does sound a very honest pro in how he plays the game, hopefully its a Brian Clough kind of signing that A Moore and co have spotted something in him that others haven't.

If this is the type of market we are shopping in, going forward then it's a high risk strategy. 

no fee - you'd presume low wages - steady/experienced lower league player - no risk signing tbh and will

probably end up playing most games, smacks of Rob Jones type player and what we need,  we can't rely

too much on Iorfa yet (hope he's back to his best) and we've not signed anyone else (Gibson/Storey/Dean) so

at this stage is a sound signing for me.

Good Luck Ben.. Welcome to SWFC

35 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Our Achilles heal last season was a soft defensive underbelly particularly found wanting at set pieces.

He seems to deal with these issues, a no nonsense defender who wins the ball. Maybe not a household name, but what we need and seems to get the job done.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Our Achilles heal last season was a soft defensive underbelly particularly found wanting at set pieces.

He seems to deal with these issues, a no nonsense defender who wins the ball. Maybe not a household name, but what we need and seems to get the job done.

He was part of one of the worst defensive teams in the league conceding 75 goals. A team that won the least amount of games in the season & also a team that went 27 without a win.

He doesn’t get the job done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 0114 said:

He was part of one of the worst defensive teams in the league conceding 75 goals. A team that won the least amount of games in the season & also a team that went 27 without a win.

He doesn’t get the job done.

One player doesn't make a team. Who knows how bad they would have been without him?

IMO a sensible signing, will be judged on the pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

On paper it looks a very uninspired signing, kicking about the lower leagues for most of his career, albeit does sound a very honest pro in how he plays the game, hopefully its a Brian Clough kind of signing that A Moore and co have spotted something in him that others haven't.

If this is the type of market we are shopping in, going forward then it's a high risk strategy. 

On paper it looks a very uninspired signing, kicking about the lower leagues for most of his career

That's modern football? Look at the EPL and you'd be hard pushed to find a homegrown player same with managers. It's getting the same in the Championship. 

The write-up sounds positive. I’ve no particular issue with him being in a relegated team if he stood out and it sounded like he did. Nilsson, Pearson, Palmer, Sheridan and Hirst were in a relegated team in 1990. Didn’t automatically make them no good. 

We’re crying out for more of a dominant presence at the back, our stats in conceding from set pieces and late goals last season were utterly damning. He obviously provides that dominant presence. 

But even for those who aren’t convinced he’s only one signing out of what I’m sure will end up being a list of at least 5 or 6 - lets not judge the quality of our summer business so soon eh

• Like 4