Ben Heneghan

50 minutes ago, 0114 said:

He’s not a bad player. But I’m not sure he’s of the standard of a team chasing the automatics and I don’t think he’s an upgrade on players we’ve let go.

This is a very fair point. He almost certainly isn’t an upgrade on either Dunkley or Hutch. However, I’m pretty sure one of the big reasons behind both of their departures was their injury records (plus presumably the knowledge of our physio team that those injuries might continue next season). If Heneghan is a straight swap for Dunkley but is cheaper and fitter then great. One of main struggles last season was getting a full set of CBs on the pitch. Dunkley was MoM for many games last campaign but injuries blighted his season. Hopefully or recruitment is focused on availability as well as ability. A stable set of defenders with all players knowing their colleagues strengths and weaknesses covers a lot of deficiencies. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

This is a very fair point. He almost certainly isn’t an upgrade on either Dunkley or Hutch. However, I’m pretty sure one of the big reasons behind both of their departures was their injury records (plus presumably the knowledge of our physio team that those injuries might continue next season). If Heneghan is a straight swap for Dunkley but is cheaper and fitter then great. One of main struggles last season was getting a full set of CBs on the pitch. Dunkley was MoM for many games last campaign but injuries blighted his season. Hopefully or recruitment is focused on availability as well as ability. A stable set of defenders with all players knowing their colleagues strengths and weaknesses covers a lot of deficiencies. 

This is kind of the main point I’ve been trying to stress. 

I thought Dunkley was great in the games he played last season. He only played in 3 defeats, one was Sunderland when he went off after 10 mins, another was Wycombe where he should of had a goal and put us 1-0 up. Only issue with Dunkley is he hasn’t really been fit over 2 years consistently which I do sympathise because his injury was horrific. He also can’t play LCB or RCB in a back 3. 

Hutchinson for me would of been worth another year as back up. Can play any of the back 3 positions comfortably and also in DM. He’s probably the most comfortable at playing out from the back which from reading about Heneghan isn’t his strength. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You're not the only Wednesday fan to make reference to it, no - and that might be why your comment drew such a strong response, as have several others which sought to mock his manner of speech previously.

During the past twelve months, we've had posters on here compare Moore to Gareth Gates (who had a genuine speech impediment which needed intervention); suggest that he attend speech therapy; said he sounds 'thick'; and repeatedly mock him by peppering their posts with 'erm' when discussing his interviews...all because he uses filled pauses, which are an entirely natural feature of most people's spontaneous speech.

Sorry if your intention was lighthearted, but your comment doesn't exist in a vacuum, and many on here have had enough of the undercurrent of unpleasantness which has surrounded this issue on here for months now.

Interestingly, since you mentioned Wilder in your earlier post, I was watching an interview of his when he signed Heneghan for United, and it struck me that he was hardly the most fluent speaker himself. Funnily enough, nobody every mentions it, though - because he was winning loads of games for them and it was totally irrelevant to his qualities as a football manager.

It's good to hear that you couldn't care less how anybody speaks - that's something we can definitely agree on, and we can turn our focus to what actually matters, which is Moore's performance as a football manager.

I'm sure Ben was delighted to see that glowing report when he joined them lot, absolutely terrible from Wilder. 😳

Signed now anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do anyway, we can all hope it turns out to be a Rob Jones-esque signing, not exactly the most sexy signing, but one we really needed to make.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BIG D said:

First signing last Summer was Adeniran on July 10th.

Speaking of Adeniran, really hoping for a big year from him this year. We missed his energy in the midfield for the 2nd half of the season. Ironically, we actually had a 2nd half of the season without him but from what I saw of him, there is definitely a player there. Hoping him and Dele-Bashiru really use this season as break out years. Both young, athletic and quality players who have the engines to carry our midfield up and down the pitch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 0114 said:

This is kind of the main point I’ve been trying to stress. 

I thought Dunkley was great in the games he played last season. He only played in 3 defeats, one was Sunderland when he went off after 10 mins, another was Wycombe where he should of had a goal and put us 1-0 up. Only issue with Dunkley is he hasn’t really been fit over 2 years consistently which I do sympathise because his injury was horrific. He also can’t play LCB or RCB in a back 3. 

Hutchinson for me would of been worth another year as back up. Can play any of the back 3 positions comfortably and also in DM. He’s probably the most comfortable at playing out from the back which from reading about Heneghan isn’t his strength. 

Yep. Heneghan is going to be ok for us if he has the right players along side him. If we have three Heneghan types we are going to struggle with DMs style of play. But if we replace Hutch with a younger version and have a couple more ball playing CBs as wel then I’ll start to feel more confident that DM has a plan. 

But don’t worry too much about Hutch leaving. He’ll be back in Jan…😉

5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Yep. Heneghan is going to be ok for us if he has the right players along side him. If we have three Heneghan types we are going to struggle with DMs style of play. But if we replace Hutch with a younger version and have a couple more ball playing CBs as wel then I’ll start to feel more confident that DM has a plan. 

But don’t worry too much about Hutch leaving. He’ll be back in Jan…😉

Tucker would be the most ideal for RCB but he has Championship interest. Would love Dean but that’s looking less feasible so I’d be moving quickly for Ihiekwe at Rotherham now Derby are in the mud. Just slightly underwhelmed with Heneghan.

But hopefully see a lot more key players come in now. 

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

Tucker would be the most ideal for RCB but he has Championship interest. Would love Dean but that’s looking less feasible so I’d be moving quickly for Ihiekwe at Rotherham now Derby are in the mud. Just slightly underwhelmed with Heneghan.

But hopefully see a lot more key players come in now. 

I’m sure there will be more inbound. I’m neither over nor underwhelmed with Heneghan. He is what he is. But at least we are recruiting for positions we need players in…

Not an eye catching signing by any means but a necessary one. He sounds like an out and out defender and our lack of these cost us promotion last season more than anything else IMO.

Chuck in Stockdale’s nous when it comes  to slowing games down and seeing them out then I think Moore has already pinpointed 2 areas where we lacking last time out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GermanBird said:

Your comment was not a light hearted reference at all.

And this follow up with your unfounded (or unexplained) accusations explains nothing.

DM  addressed our CB problem with signing Dean and Storey in January. What else did you expect?

And we still conceded goals from set pieces 

What's you're point?

• Like 1

Give the kid a chance. Hopefully he will relish the opportunity to play for a bigger club with a bigger following and flourish. 

Unfortunately, after years of financial mismanagement from a clueless owner resulting in a points deduction, relegation and the sale of our ground, this is the market we are going to be operating in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Welcome to wednesday, Ben Heneghandebendyman!

"Dance, Ben wherever you may be

He is so tall and he's on a free..."

Underground, overground, Heneghan’s free

He’s come from Wimbledon

To play for Wednesdee.

Ivor Novello, eat your heart out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8