Ben Heneghan

11 minutes ago, striker said:

One player doesn't make a team. Who knows how bad they would have been without him?

IMO a sensible signing, will be judged on the pitch. 

I’d agree if there was anything individually or collectively that backs it’s up. But I’m struggling to find anything that gets me excited about this signing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Only three Championship teams conceded more goals than us as we were relegated the season before last.

And yet Tom Lees just played almost every game for the team who finished third in the Championship last season.

Sometimes decent players play for bad teams. And sometimes those same players look a lot better when surrounded by better teammates.

I'll judge Heneghan on what he does in a Wednesday shirt.

That's my thinking. Sometimes you get a quality player who joins a team (any team) and it just doesn't click  and their form dips. Then you get a player who clicks at a team and they become a star in that team. Make a judgement on any new signings when the seasons a couple of months old. At least we've got players coming in for pre-season training and not like the last couple of seasons a week or two before it starts or in some cases when it's started 

• Like 1

Sounds like he's an organiser, leader and good in the air. Played pretty much every game last season and was by all accounts their second best player (behind their goalkeeper).

Players perform differently for teams. So many factors in this as we have seen with players before. Lees was awful by all accounts for Leeds near the end of his career but was great for us over the years (bar some iffy spells). Continued that at Huddersfield too. Abdi was a car crash for us but by all accounts wonderful at Watford. 

Ben Heneghan is a shrewd piece of business IMO. Coming into his prime for a centre half, very experienced at this level and I imagine will be one of 3 central defenders we sign. As a free transfer if things don't work out he'll be an easy player to move on. Feels risk free this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Only three Championship teams conceded more goals than us as we were relegated the season before last.

And yet Tom Lees just played almost every game for the team who finished third in the Championship last season.

Sometimes decent players play for bad teams. And sometimes those same players look a lot better when surrounded by better teammates.

I'll judge Heneghan on what he does in a Wednesday shirt.

Tom Lees was an excellent CB under Gray, Carvalhal, Luhukay, Bruce and even under Monk until the 20/21 season where he essentially had 4 different managers and he had a poor season. Prior to that he had played in some very decent Championship teams.

Heneghan has no such history at even this level. Bad comparison. 

Wilder didn’t give him a minute of Championship football after being promoted from L1. Critchley wasn’t bothered about him at Blackpool then went on to get promotion. 

4 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Tom Lees was an excellent CB under Gray, Carvalhal, Luhukay, Bruce and even under Monk until the 20/21 season where he essentially had 4 different managers and he had a poor season. Prior to that he had played in some very decent Championship teams.

Heneghan has no such history at even this level. Bad comparison. 

Wilder didn’t give him a minute of Championship football after being promoted from L1. Critchley wasn’t bothered about him at Blackpool then went on to get promotion. 

You were the one using stats regarding Wimbledon's performance last season as a reason to say, "he doesn’t get the job done".

I'm simply pointing out that the same could have been levelled at Lees last summer, and yet look how he's got on since joining Huddersfield.

• Like 1

Very interesting article about Henegan from the local paper in London very good defensively, AFC Wimbledon best player after the lad i think we should sign in Rudoni, but the bit where he say,

Henegan is not a play the ball out from the back defender and should not be judged on his ability to turn defence into attack. Kind of make you wonder why DM who plays this way would be looking at a player who cannot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You were the one using stats regarding Wimbledon's performance last season as a reason to say, "he doesn’t get the job done".

I'm simply pointing out that the same could have been levelled at Lees last summer, and yet look how he's got on since joining Huddersfield.

But Lees had some prior history that always meant he was likely to get a decent move. He was part of Wednesday teams from 2014 to 2017 that kept clean sheets for fun. 

Heneghan has nothing even before last season to suggest it’s a good move. His best season at this level was a loan at Blackpool and when the new manager came in he didn’t fancy him and went on to win promotion. United didn’t give him a minute on the pitch! Even Motherwell sold him and finished higher the year after. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be hoping he proves me wrong but I just don’t see anything I can get excited about. I’m not too fussed on Stockdale but at least I can see he was golden glove winner, experienced, done it at a higher level. At least I can understand the logic. Heneghan I can’t find anything.

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

But Lees had some prior history that always meant he was likely to get a decent move. He was part of Wednesday teams from 2014 to 2017 that kept clean sheets for fun. 

Heneghan has nothing even before last season to suggest it’s a good move. His best season at this level was a loan at Blackpool and when the new manager came in he didn’t fancy him and went on to win promotion. United didn’t give him a minute on the pitch! Even Motherwell sold him and finished higher the year after. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be hoping he proves me wrong but I just don’t see anything I can get excited about. I’m not too fussed on Stockdale but at least I can see he was golden glove winner, experienced, done it at a higher level. At least I can understand the logic. Heneghan I can’t find anything.

So just looking at how Wimbledon performed as a whole last season was pretty meaningless, then?

👍

As for Heneghan, only two League One defenders won more aerial duels than him last season, and only two blocked more shots - he clearly has something to offer at this level, and if Moore has spotted something in him which he feels adds to our squad, then he deserves the chance to show it without us fans writing him off before he's even signed a contract.

Let's just wait and see how he gets on in his new surroundings, eh?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

So just looking at how Wimbledon performed as a whole last season was pretty meaningless, then?

👍

As for Heneghan, only two League One defenders won more aerial duels than him last season, and only two blocked more shots - he clearly has something to offer at this level, and if Moore has spotted something in him which he feels adds to our squad, then he deserves the chance to show it without us fans writing him off before he's even signed a contract.

Let's just wait and see how he gets on in his new surroundings, eh?

You’re going to win more aerial duals and block more shots in a team that won 6 games and didn’t win in 27. Means nothing if your not picking up results as well, he was still costing them results! Look at his performances against Wednesday… he was at fault for 2 of the 4 goals we put past them last season.  

Absolutely will, but I don’t have to be excited by every single signing and I don’t see how he’s warranted a move to a side chasing automatics. 

No doubt he won’t be the only signing at cb this summer? I’ve no doubt someone with a better pedigree will arrive aswell as him….but we conceded an awful lot of goals from set pieces and especially 85 mins onwards and especially headers ? Heading his his strongest point by all accounts so that will help cure one of our weak points . As for playing it out well I’d rather someone be good at defending than trying to be maldini when clearly they not! I’ve no doubt he’ll look better in our side with better players around him? If he fails then it’ll have been for little outlay as no fee and probably small wages . I’ll wait and judge him when I’ve seen him over a period of thing 

50 minutes ago, 0114 said:

You’re going to win more aerial duals and block more shots in a team that won 6 games and didn’t win in 27. Means nothing if your not picking up results as well, he was still costing them results! Look at his performances against Wednesday… he was at fault for 2 of the 4 goals we put past them last season.  

Absolutely will, but I don’t have to be excited by every single signing and I don’t see how he’s warranted a move to a side chasing automatics. 

No, you don't have to be excited about every signing, but writing off a player based on how their team performed last season seems daft to me.

If, as you're now suggesting, you're going to wait and see how he performs in a Wednesday short before deciding whether he "doesn’t get the job done", then fair enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No, you don't have to be excited about every signing, but writing off a player based on how their team performed last season seems daft to me.

If, as you're now suggesting, you're going to wait and see how he performs in a Wednesday short before deciding whether he "doesn’t get the job done", then fair enough.

I certainly don’t write anyone off but I’m allowed to think it’s not the best signing and certainly no upgrade on anything we’ve let go. 

Someone else said he got the job at done, I pointed out that at Wimbledon he doesn’t get the job done and at no previous club has he done anything to suggest he can do the job Wednesday are wanting him to do. 

Edited by 0114
  • Like 1

Moore will want him to play out from the back..its mot the lads style...he wont be comfortable tryin to do it..then he will give it away and bosh..goal conceded..then everybody will boo him..hopefully that wont happen..and hooefully we will stop fannying around with it at the back

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/06/2022 at 08:33, Southie_Owl said:

You’d expect Moore to spot a good centre back when he sees one so hopefully this turns out to be a shrewd signing.  Still remember when the pigs were making similar signings and ended up in the PL. 

What like left wing back Marvin Johnson and full back/wing back Liam Palmer? 

Pigs had Wilder then and we have erm erm Darren Moore! 

3 hours ago, 0114 said:

I’d agree if there was anything individually or collectively that backs it’s up. But I’m struggling to find anything that gets me excited about this signing. 

Stop looking then !!  When he puts that shirt on support him #uto 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We're still doing the 'erm' thing?

Pathetic.

Oh sorry treacle, bit touchy aren't you?

I tell  you what is pathetic, playing said players in said positions and conceding a higher than average volume of goals from  set pieces last season. 

Edited by OasisOwl72
  • Haha 2