Why Wednesday?

Okay I know it's been done before, but it's summer and I'm bored, so I'm asking all our fans who aren't from Sheffield, why Wednesday?

In my case although born in Bridlington, Mum was from Sheffield (and an Owl to boot) and we moved back there when I was 2 so all my childhood and teen years were spent in Sheffield (Nether Edge). Courtesy of careful nurturing I grew up Wednesday without even realising!

What's your tale of woe?

• Like 1

Went on 31 dec1966, beat Chelsea 6-1, thought it was always going to be like this.  Seriously, the crowd, the ground, the feeling was different, I felt at home.  I'd been to Forest, United, Derby before. I chose Wednesday, they've been letting me down ever since but I still get that feeling when I get to the top of the Kop steps.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Was watching goals on Sunday and it was the day Wednesday where relegated from the old first division, kept showing pictures of fans crying in the crowd and I thought yeah I want some

Glad you've not been let down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Had a satellite TV and had the games beamed live to our house on Mars we lived close to Valles Marineris at the time.  The Wednesday name just sprung out at me it was so different .  When we moved to Earth I realised that Hillborough wasn't far away so joined the Rotherham Owls, the rest is history.

How things work if Rotherham Owls had not taken a coach you could have ended up a millers fan. lol

My Dad took me at 3 years old and regularly from being 5 so became a habit. I did the same for my son I'm lucky as even though he is 15 still goes with me....secretly dreading when he starts going with his mates instead...but I did the same so just part of life. Hopefully he will do the same when he's older.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Dad took oldest brother to Forest but I was too young. Started to enjoy the Owls because they stood out in the top flight for the name at least. Dad then decided to buy me a Wednesday kit aged 5 and the rest is history. Should thank him I suppose. 

• Love 1

First football match I was made to sit and watch was the 1993 cup final and my Welsh family were supporting Wednesday - as everyone hated arsenal even back then.  I fell in love with football and Wednesday that day, sadly the gods decided that was going to be the high point and it’s been all down hill since then.  Cheers d**kheads 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

Uncle and his best mate used to get bus to Sheffield and watch a match every week, tossed a coin, my uncle won and got Wednesday, his mate got United. 

One throw of a coin has made 4 generations of Wednesdayites. We all hold a grudge against him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

My dad was a Manchester United fan (evacuated there in war), had no loyalty to that. Wanted to support a team different from my friends (no idea why) and followed Wednesday since January 1990. We were playing decent football then!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Okay I know it's been done before, but it's summer and I'm bored, so I'm asking all our fans who aren't from Sheffield, why Wednesday?

In my case although born in Bridlington, Mum was from Sheffield (and an Owl to boot) and we moved back there when I was 2 so all my childhood and teen years were spent in Sheffield (Nether Edge). Courtesy of careful nurturing I grew up Wednesday without even realising!

What's your tale of woe?

My tale of woe is the little Chippy at Sewerby has gone or I've lost it due to memory. However, heading back to Brid found 149 Marton Road wonderful fayre eat in or out. Fish & Chippy Gold award !

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw Chris Waddle play on TV (not sure who for) was mesmerised by him

Asked for my birthday present the following birthday to be able to go and see him play live

by this point he was playing for Wednesday so I got tickets to Hillsborough - never looked back since

We lost 2-1 to Liverpool, Waddle was awful and got subbed at HT, turned out he was ill and shouldn’t have played anyway

• Love 1
  • Haha 1