Why Wednesday?

Dad was a Donny fan,   he watched them on a Friday night  , but came to watch Wednesday on Saturdays with his mate and their daughters. I first went Hull City late 70-71 season finished 1-1 . We went on the back row of the south lower near the half way line. I remember the noise, the colour, the smell of  Bovril and cig smoke and wintergreen from the dressing rooms just below and behind us. and a bag of foxes glazier fruit sweets . 7 years old this was amazing !, As they say the rest is history ! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In spite of family all living near Bramall Lane we were all Wednesday fans. My Dad and Uncle took me to first match 1958/9 season. We won 5-0 vBarnsley and went on to get promoted. Can’t remember much about the match itself except Shiner score twice. I thought it was marvellous and would always be like that.

I often think how much money I might have saved if we lost 5-0 that day and I went home miserable and disappointed by the whole experience.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

Old man was born and bread in Barnsley me and my two brothers born and bread in Rotherham 

old man used to go to all the wednesday games with his brothers and mates from a young age even though his parents was dingle fans ( never knew why to be honest ) 

our Rotherham home with the dingle dad just simply would never had a choice we were born Wednesday no excuses 

just like my kids are learning 

you don’t get to pick,Wednesday picks you 

It’s been hard work though. My first season ticket with independence was on the cop with another 8 school friends at 15/16 that was the year we got relegated from the premier league.

it’s got to be hard getting kids and neutrals hooked on Wednesday with all the media and the Man City’s today when we’re offering big show downs against teams like fleetwood. It’s a harder sell than when I was sold top

fligjt football, Europe and cup finals 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

My tale of woe is the little Chippy at Sewerby has gone or I've lost it due to memory. However, heading back to Brid found 149 Marton Road wonderful fayre eat in or out. Fish & Chippy Gold award !

I'll go there if I'm in Brid for a takeaway, or if it's a sit down job Busy Bees. Both excellent chippies.

13 hours ago, Swfcsi said:

My mum is from Liverpool and all her side of the family are season ticket holders and my dad's side are all Wednesday, they flipped a coin my dad won lol

And you lost. BIG TIME lol

I grew up with my uncle Carlos in Braga. 

He insisted on dragging me to Hillsborough despite the ridiculous commute. 

Something about it being his boyhood club or something. I don't know. But that's how I ended up here. 

Edited by poite
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

I was born in Keighley and lived in Haworth for years. My great uncle and auntie lived just up from the ground on Cotswold Road. Even tho he used to play pop with Wednesday by great uncle was a die hard Wednesday fan. My Mum started to take me to games on the back of my Great Uncle’s and Aunt’s influence. 

• Like 1

Being from grimsby. All school friends were liverpool fans back in late 80s and wanted to be different. I remember that goals on Sunday aswell waltham owl. Guess we both live grimsby area still. Still remember the song they played at end of show. It's over by Roy orbison and the fans crying. Also seeing dalian Atkinson (rip) great solo goal v villa I think but could be wrong on that. Went to my first game v sunderland in cup run year (my mum wunt let me go on my own before that) when they're keeper tony Norman dropped the ball and mark bright nodded in on 90 plus mins. The atmosphere after that was electric and I was hooked ever since

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The Wednesday name just sprung out at me it was so different .  

Pretty much the same for me. I never felt any familial or geographical connection to a team. I was born in East Sussex, but the family moved away after just a few months. I came from a military family so we never really settled anywhere for any length of time. Dad was from South London and supported Palace, Mum originally from Sunderland but supported Liverpool, but really there was no strong cultural affiliation to any one team within the wider family. I was probably 7 or 8 when I decided that since all my friends supported a football team, I ought to have a team of my own, and one day listening to the results on a Saturday afternoon, I heard - amongst the various Uniteds and Citys and Rovers - the name Wednesday. And that name seemed so out of the ordinary that my weird mind just latched onto it. And we were living close to Lincoln at the time so it wasn't even that far away. And from that day onwards, it's always been Wednesday, good times and bad.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Shayneowl1974 said:

Being from grimsby. All school friends were liverpool fans back in late 80s and wanted to be different. I remember that goals on Sunday aswell waltham owl. Guess we both live grimsby area still. Still remember the song they played at end of show. It's over by Roy orbison and the fans crying. Also seeing dalian Atkinson (rip) great solo goal v villa I think but could be wrong on that. Went to my first game v sunderland in cup run year (my mum wunt let me go on my own before that) when they're keeper tony Norman dropped the ball and mark bright nodded in on 90 plus mins. The atmosphere after that was electric and I was hooked ever since

I got onto the side of the pitch and hugged Bright after the goal (had been drinking with Sunderland fans that day)! A steward threw me back over the wall into the Kop! 🤣

7 hours ago, poite said:

I grew up with my uncle Carlos in Braga. 

He insisted on dragging me to Hillsborough despite the ridiculous commute. 

Something about it being his boyhood club or something. I don't know. But that's how I ended up here. 

Suppose you did Swansea when we were away then:ghoulguy:

• Haha 1

Used to live 1 mile from Belle View in Donny upto 10 years old and only been there. Went with a mate of mine to see Wednesday v Hull as his dad was from Sheffield and was meeting his brother at the game. Only been to Donny's ramshackle ground and was amazed it the sheer size of Hillsborough. It started to ******** down and at half time the stewards let us sit in the north stand to get out of the rain (think gate was about 12000). That was me hooked for the last 45 years.

• Like 1

When I was born it was Friday the 13th

Carrying me out of the hospital 

My dad stood on every crack on the pavement 

Walked under every ladder 

Then dropped me on my head 

🎼We love you Wednesday..we do 🎼

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My older brother was a spurs fan and I saw Waddle in the late 80s / Italia 90.

Then he seemed to disappear (to France as it turned out) but as the Premier league was starting off, Waddle came back to England and that was it.

I was 11 in 1992 when Waddle signed for Wednesday and they became 'my team' 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

ig club, with tradition and a successful  past, that had fallen on hard times. I wanted to support the sleeping giant when it awoke.

All my mates picked big  teams that won things regularly, I thought it was worth the wait. 40+ years on still really waiting. In the early days it was hard with Sheffield being 200+ miles away and limited tv/newspaper news.

Once an owl always an owl, never regretted it once.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Playing knockout with my older brother and his mates. Had to pick a team to be for the match (still not sure why we had to name ourselves teams for the game) was going to be Reading (local side) but brother told me I had to be a good one so I randomly picked Wednesday. I was 5 years old and that was 31 years ago. My dad was sure I would grow out of it. 

I was knocked out in the first round of knockout by the way. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2